BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Childhood Dreams / Goals
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
M.
post Jan 11 2018, 11:31 PM
Post #1
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 7,132
   No Gallery Pics

I've wanted to make this thread before because I figured it might bring interesting or funny reading to the table, so here I go biggrin.gif Do you remember the kinds of things you dreamt about as a kid? What did you want to be "when you grow up"? ;o And now that you're older, have you even gone and made some of those childhood dreams into a reality, or are you in the process of doing so?

the more ridiculous the better tbh
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Midge
post Jan 11 2018, 11:40 PM
Post #2
I just think I'm neat
Member No.: 23,643
   No Gallery Pics

When I was like 3, I was fascinated with buses, and wanted to grow up to be a bus driver.

I only got my driving license last year and that was a few years later than I could have so safe to say that won't be happening wink.gif

+Quote Post
M.
post Jan 11 2018, 11:45 PM
Post #3
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 7,132
   No Gallery Pics

I went from wanting to be an actor to a musician to a calligraphist (I don't know what that was about tbh) to idk what else. Not necessarily in that order. I also regularly dreamt of finding love even before I hit my teens lmao.

+Quote Post
Jade
post Jan 12 2018, 12:29 AM
Post #4
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 12,810

As a child my dream career path changed so much! laugh.gif My first childhood dream was to be an Olympic gymnast as I'm pretty flexible and it was a sport that I was extremely passionate about. I then had a phase of wanting to be a vet as I loved my pets / animals in general a lot and quite liked the idea of helping and working with them, then it changed again to wanting to be a teacher for a while, because I really enjoyed English and Maths (or Literacy and Numeracy as they were known in primary school) and also thought it would be cool to have my own classroom kink.gif I also remember having a phase of wanting to be a singer lmao, I watched X Factor religiously, pestered my family to play Singstar with me, was in school choir and got solos in our assemblies quite a lot and wanted to take it to the next level *_* back when I had the confidence to sing in front of people haha. After all of this switching, I eventually had the dream that I still retain now, to be a journalist. I was still primary school age, probably about 9, and I was really starting to get into watching the news and reading magazines and newspapers. I was constantly engrossed by what was going on around me and I wanted to be the one finding out information and writing stories. I found a diary recently where a 10-year-old me was ranting about the credit crunch (as it was dominating the news at the time) and how I was worried about it affecting my family laugh.gif casual diary entry. I spearheaded the idea of a school newspaper in primary school (and was even the agony aunt for it as well!!! *___*) and enjoyed it so much, that experience as a youngster solidified my dream as I loved learning, writing and storytelling. I currently feel like I don't know exactly what I want to do, but I still have the same passion for writing / print journalism so hopefully I'll make that childhood dream come true in some way after Uni ~

+Quote Post
Riser
post Jan 12 2018, 03:32 AM
Post #5
King of nothing at all
Member No.: 19,534

One of my old school teachers still tells the story of how I really wanted to be a firefighter until the school did some fire escape demonstration where they filled the gym with fake smoke and we had to do some obstacle course to get out of the room. I don't remember it, but she says I cried the whole time and wanted nothing to do with it, and from then on I said I wanted to be a grocery store cashier laugh.gif I was 7 at the time so running food through a magical scanner was my idea of a fun job. Needless to say I didn't pursue either of those!

I was only 11 when I started drawing houses and wanting to be an architect, that dream lasted nearly 10 years until the latter part of my degree when I realized it wasn't for me.

+Quote Post
Jade
post Jan 12 2018, 03:52 AM
Post #6
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Member No.: 12,810

QUOTE(Riser @ Jan 12 2018, 03:32 AM) *
I said I wanted to be a grocery store cashier laugh.gif I was 7 at the time so running food through a magical scanner was my idea of a fun job.

This is so cute! laugh.gif my 'shop with me Barbie' cash machine was life as a child tbh so I feel ya.

Also I have missed another brief ambition! Someone told me that jades-kool-website.piczo.com was really good on MSN, therefore a career in web design was now on the cards xo

+Quote Post
Lindsey 🙃
post Jan 12 2018, 05:30 AM
Post #7
low-key, no pressure, just hang with me and my weather
Member No.: 21,176
   No Gallery Pics

The first kind of job I remember "seriously" considering was when I was probably like 10 or so, maybe younger and that was a mounted police woman. The logic behind that was that I loved horse riding so it made sense until i realised I'd need to train as a police woman and i wouldn't always be on a horse laugh.gif My parents say when I was really young though, I wanted to be a midwife?? At least I didn't go for the conventional "princess" answer mellow.gif I think I wanted to be a vet at one point too but got put off that when I learned I'd need to put anims down. I also used to love writing, especially imaginative stuff and I always tried to write and illustrate my own books. I always wonder what my life would be like had I really pursued writing and ended up as a writer of sorts as thats genuinely something I could have done had I had the interest for it when I was applying for unis. Tbh that dream is something I can see myself still doing at some point, or at the very least illustrating something someone else has written. Since I was around 11 I've wanted to be a designer though and I honestly don't know where that idea came from in the first place, i think it was just another case of trying to come up with jobs I'd enjoy doing or maybe from when I illustrated my own books and looked at things that were similar. I wanted to be a jewellery designer at one point too but didn't really have the interest in making it and i didn't have much understanding of materials so I binned that idea pretty quickly too :') again, not too sure on where graphic designer came from but I'm glad I did think of that as it's steaded me well this far. I've actually always kind of flip flopped between wanting to be a graphic designer and wanting to be an illustrator though, its why I was so set on doing a course that let me do both, so I could figure out which one I preferred or was stronger at but uni ended up teaching me that I can literally do both. I pitch myself as a graphic designer but make sure to say I have an illustrative style at the moment since there's more jobs as a graphic designer but my "new" goal is to get to the point where I have my own business or studio so I can just do whatever I want, which is something I never wanted when I was younger.

I actually ended up stumbling upon my old last fm account the other day from when I was 15 and one of the questions I'd answered back then was something like what are your goals in life and I'd just put see paramore live and get into the Glasgow school of art... I have seen paramore and will have again in just over a week but as for the gsofa, the only way I'm getting in there is if I apply for a post grad course which I'm not sure if I want to do or not but it would be nice for the sake of nostalgia I guess.

I don't remember having many unrealistic goals which is weird for someone who was a definite weird child. I always wanted to own a horse and tbh I still lowkey do. I guess I never really set goals for when I "grew up" unless I had to (ie what job should I get). I'd say I've got more unrealistic goals now that I actually am an adult and know what's achievable.

+Quote Post
PeteFromLeeds
post Jan 12 2018, 07:14 AM
Post #8
I hope your son isn't called Bouff
Member No.: 23,247
   No Gallery Pics

I remember my first 2 ambitions were being a teacher and being a window cleaner. The latter disappeared fairly quickly when I found out I was terrified of any unsupported heights, but the former stayed with me until I was about 14, albeit changing from a crafts-y nursery teacher to a shouty IT teacher (who knows why I wanted to be one of those laugh.gif ) but it was about that time I realised I had no confidence whatsoever so teaching wasn't the best choice of job, plus I'd just discovered programming so magic.gif

This post has been edited by PeteFromLeeds: Jan 12 2018, 07:15 AM

+Quote Post
lotita.
post Jan 12 2018, 12:29 PM
Post #9
feminist icon
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 21,777

I used to want to be a horse whisperer

+Quote Post
5 Silas Frøkner
post Jan 12 2018, 04:01 PM
Post #10
Surfing in paradise
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 3,474

My dream job when I left primary school, still is, was to be a storm chaser in the states *.*

+Quote Post
gooddelta
post Jan 12 2018, 04:14 PM
Post #11
BuzzJack Idol
Member No.: 116

I wanted to be an author. I'd still love to be but can't envisage a way I could make a living from it.

+Quote Post
Shia LeMuffQueef
post Jan 12 2018, 04:26 PM
Post #12
Life is so much queefier than we allow ourselves to think x
Member No.: 18,639
   No Gallery Pics

+Quote Post
Dexton
post Jan 13 2018, 08:18 AM
Post #13
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 25,045
   No Gallery Pics

I remember wanting to be a substitute teacher for the older high school years, because you get the benefits of being a teacher by getting to hang out and have somewhat-insightful conversations with teenagers about where their life is going / laugh at the ridiculously dramatic gossip, whilst also spending the rest of your time chilling on your phone or reading. All the pro's of being a teacher without the actual teaching components laugh.gif Unless you become that one substitute who gets ripped to shreds by the kids... one time I remember a teacher was locked in a supply cupboard at the back of the room... crazy..

+Quote Post
T Boy
post Jan 13 2018, 01:17 PM
Post #14
Radical Pink Troll
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

When I was really young I wanted to be an actor. I still do really but I never had to confidence in my own abilities to stake my life on that choice. Since secondary school, I always wanted to be a teacher and now I am. It’s tough and i wouldn’t recommend it to anyone that wants in easy life but I do overall enjoy it. It’s heavy business but it can sometimes be extremely rewarding.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st January 2018 - 06:51 AM