BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> H&M~, racism scandal and aftermath
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
HausofTroye
post Jan 14 2018, 06:46 PM
Post #1
Henrietta R Hippo
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 13,007

The hoodie shown above caused outrage to many when it featured on H&M advertising the other week. Do you think it's offensive?

... Whether you do or not, it has DEEPLY affected some in South Africa who have trashed H&M stores out of protest. The video of this can be seen below:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-42675665

SO a two part thread - do you think it's offensive and secondly is this the right way to go about protests and getting your voice heard?

DISCUSS~
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
¡ʎpp∀
post Jan 14 2018, 06:55 PM
Post #2
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 2,666

I agree that the hoodie was quiet offensive but no way you protest in that way!!!

The news itself made it enough on social media, enough for H&M to issue an apology for the offense and that's all for me...you did it wrong, you apologize, learn from the mistake and make sure it doesn't happen again.

Now my other question is, since model is a child, how did their parents allowed that in first place?!!!

+Quote Post
Maz!
post Jan 14 2018, 06:57 PM
Post #3
BuzzJack Gold Member
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 20,217
   No Gallery Pics

If people find it offensive it's offensive and yes they have the right to protest.

+Quote Post
Cameron
post Jan 14 2018, 07:00 PM
Post #4
THE BLAZE *.*
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 18,061

I hope this isn't an unpopular opinion, but I don't find it offensive. If there were any questions about it the child models parents could have refused to let them be photographed in it. For a child's section of a fashion brand, it is harmless. I would not have even made the resemblance about referring to the child as a monkey had it not been put out.

+Quote Post
5 Silas Frøkner
post Jan 14 2018, 07:07 PM
Post #5
Surfing in paradise
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 3,474

I think it's incredibly tone deaf, inappropriate and the ad campaign can only be described as racist. I completely agree with those distancing themselves from the chain.

Not a fan of the reaction. I understand people are angry but the people dealing with the consequences are just ordinary people like you. I understand the emotion behind reactions like this but I think I'm too cold hearted/logical to understand how that emotion then translates to this.. Protest the HQ, protest the store, bombard their CEO with tweets/emails about the consequences of their casual racism. Trashing the store tho just gives armour to the people you're fighting against. Something they can use to deflect the story from them and back onto you. "Yes it was inappropriate and we apologise but look what they did to our store terrorising the staff and shoppers". The narrative changes from "Look how shitty H&M are! Probably best to go elsewhere for your sweatshop made shite" to "H&M were racist and look at the leftist pc snowflake reaction"

+Quote Post
Iz
post Jan 14 2018, 07:08 PM
Post #6
l'etat, c'est moi
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 12,929

QUOTE(Cameron @ Jan 14 2018, 07:00 PM) *
I hope this isn't an unpopular opinion, but I don't find it offensive. If there were any questions about it the child models parents could have refused to let them be photographed in it. For a child's section of a fashion brand, it is harmless. I would not have even made the resemblance about referring to the child as a monkey had it not been put out.

Oh I'm the same, I don't find the hoodie itself offensive (although I do have an instinctual aversion to calling a child monkey, like with cheeky as an adjective, it's not something I'd ever do because it sounds wrong to me, but I'm fine with the hoodie because some people call their children that and that's fine).

But the choice of using a black child model is odd... this wouldn't be getting attention if they had used a white or Asian boy, because of the unfortunate connotations of the slur that people think it's emulating.

+Quote Post
5 Silas Frøkner
post Jan 14 2018, 07:11 PM
Post #7
Surfing in paradise
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 3,474

We live in a world where people throw banana's at black football players.

+Quote Post
BridgeCow
post Jan 14 2018, 07:11 PM
Post #8
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 23,860
   No Gallery Pics

Personally, I don’t find it offensive, it’s quite obviously just referring to the whole ‘kids being cheeky monkeys’ thing, and I didn’t even make the racial connection before it was pointed out. I honestly think it would be a step forward if we could have a world where no one would even think to make a connection between monkey and black. But if people are offended they have the right to be and have the right to speak their voice. The protesting and trashing a store is not the way to go about it tho and doesn’t really solve anything at the end of the day

+Quote Post
T Boy
post Jan 14 2018, 07:12 PM
Post #9
Radical Pink Troll
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

The hoodie itself is inoffensive, i could easily see parents buying them for children.

The choice of model was unwise though, I literally don’t know how they wouldn’t have realised that the combination would easily offend.

As for whether that is the right way to get your voice heard-absolutely not. They pose danger to innocent people, ones who probably had nothing to do with the picture. That is never ok.

+Quote Post
Cqmerqn
post Jan 14 2018, 07:18 PM
Post #10
Fuego!
Member No.: 23,155
   No Gallery Pics

If it wasn’t intentional then I’m sure it doesn’t matter? If it was intentional then of course

+Quote Post
Cody💧Slayberry
post Jan 14 2018, 07:18 PM
Post #11
check your thighs in the mirror... and i'm done
Member No.: 21,308
   No Gallery Pics

oh FFS and this is a store that I shop at too drama.gif drama.gif

The use of a black model for the hoodie gives off racist connotations but the hoodie is completely fine? I really do hope they learn from this and make better choices regarding models.
QUOTE(5 Silas Frøkner @ Jan 14 2018, 11:07 AM) *
Not a fan of the reaction. I understand people are angry but the people dealing with the consequences are just ordinary people like you. I understand the emotion behind reactions like this but I think I'm too cold hearted/logical to understand how that emotion then translates to this.. Protest the HQ, protest the store, bombard their CEO with tweets/emails about the consequences of their casual racism. Trashing the store tho just gives armour to the people you're fighting against. Something they can use to deflect the story from them and back onto you. "Yes it was inappropriate and we apologise but look what they did to our store terrorising the staff and shoppers". The narrative changes from "Look how shitty H&M are! Probably best to go elsewhere for your sweatshop made shite" to "H&M were racist and look at the leftist pc snowflake reaction"
This development of “outrage culture” and the repercussions of it are toxic in general so I’m not surprised.

+Quote Post
PeteFromLeeds
post Jan 14 2018, 07:19 PM
Post #12
Oh I may not be the best, but I'm far from the worst
Member No.: 23,247
   No Gallery Pics

I really don't think it's that offensive. For me I just think it's a really bad coincidence - that could quite easily have been a white model and not have caused any offense whatsoever and I can't see anyone deliberately choosing a black model beyond a subconscious thought. The reactions are really not appropriate.

+Quote Post
The Snake 🐍
post Jan 14 2018, 07:20 PM
Post #13
Don't mess it up, talking that hiss
Member No.: 23,308
   No Gallery Pics

Yeah the hoodie is fine on its own I think as many are saying on here but the model casting was definitely a very bad decision.

But if people are offended they have the right to be and have the right to speak their voice. The protesting and trashing a store is not the way to go about it tho and doesn’t really solve anything at the end of the day

Yes I agree with this!

This post has been edited by The Snake : Jan 14 2018, 07:30 PM

+Quote Post
Cody💧Slayberry
post Jan 14 2018, 07:23 PM
Post #14
   No Gallery Pics

This seems very reminiscent of the KKW beauty controversy from a couple months ago...

+Quote Post
Bré
post Jan 14 2018, 07:23 PM
Post #15
Mr Jade Lauren Williams <333
Member No.: 8,300

It's just a really stupid oversight on the part of however many people had to approve this advert. The hoodie in itself isn't racist but it's baffling that they would think it's ok to publish something that has such an obvious potential to be construed as offensive.

+Quote Post
danG
post Jan 14 2018, 07:29 PM
Post #16
◢ ◤
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

It may have been unintentional (and most likely there were not racist intentions behind this - I believe the child model's mother even responded to the backlash to basically say stop over reacting) but it is shocking that no one at H&M saw how this could be seen as offensive before releasing the promo, they could have done a reshoot of the hoodie with a white kid and put the black kid in another hoodie and it'd have all been fine. I don't know for sure but maybe there is a lack of diversity in that department, otherwise this PR disaster should have very easily been avoided (not that lack of diversity is an excuse of course)

I'm also against violent protests/vandalism for any cause so I don't agree with people trashing the store when there are more civil ways to express disapproval and boycott the store.

+Quote Post
Andrew.
post Jan 14 2018, 07:31 PM
Post #17
So, you must like me for me 🙃
Member No.: 21,161

‘Little Monkey’ is often used for a child in this country at least, maybe it’s not so common elsewhere? I don’t think it’s racist at all.

+Quote Post
Lindsey 🙃
post Jan 14 2018, 07:31 PM
Post #18
low-key, no pressure, just hang with me and my weather
Member No.: 21,176
   No Gallery Pics

I do see how it could be offensive and you would think in this day and age that the marketing team or whoever was behind the model choice would have put a little more thought into who was wearing it. I don't think it would have been an intentional choice to be racist but they probably just didn't think. I saw that the child's mum spoke out and said she was fine with it, but even still it could be damaging to black kids who see that, someone calls them a monkey in a not so playful way and it's just accepted, which it shouldnt be because it's not okay to use that as a slur.

As for the protests, there's probably a better way to go about it than trashing a store because it's not the people responsible for the model choice that's going to be affected by that, its the poor retail workers that are on minimum wage that have to clear it up, its that one store that's not gonna pick up sales etc. I think exposing it online is enough, write to the higher ups. The bad press will have had an impact because this story has been everywhere, at least if the right people are aware, they can apologise, try and undo some damage and make sure it doesn't happen again. Trashing a store gets a bit of attention at best but is ultimately stupid with something like this imo.

+Quote Post
Chez Wombat
post Jan 14 2018, 07:33 PM
Post #19
The owls are not what they seem
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

Yeah, there clearly was no intent at racism with that hoodie, but the advert was a horrific error of judgement. They only have themselves to blame for the reaction frankly, not that I approve of it at all given this clearly didn't have malicious intent and violence is never the answer anyway.

+Quote Post
Cody💧Slayberry
post Jan 14 2018, 07:33 PM
Post #20
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Avicii @ Jan 14 2018, 11:29 AM) *
It may have been unintentional (and most likely there were not racist intentions behind this - I believe the child model's mother even responded to the backlash to basically say stop over reacting) but it is shocking that no one at H&M saw how this could be seen as offensive before releasing the promo, they could have done a reshoot of the hoodie with a white kid and put the black kid in another hoodie and it'd have all been fine. I don't know for sure but maybe there is a lack of diversity in that department, otherwise this PR disaster should have very easily been avoided (not that lack of diversity is an excuse of course)

I'm also against violent protests/vandalism for any cause so I don't agree with people trashing the store when there are more civil ways to express disapproval and boycott the store.
Surely if this was online then they would have used multiple models? They’re a fashion corporation, so they would most likely have different models trying on different colors of the hoodie and one picture for each hoodie would be displayed.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th May 2018 - 12:32 AM