BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Weight Loss, What works and what doesn’t
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
awardinary
post Jan 17 2018, 01:54 AM
Post #1
The Navigator
Group: Members
Member No.: 21,587
   No Gallery Pics

Iím sure many in this community have not got an issue with their weight, but maybe some do or have done in the past. With this in mind, Iíd like to ask the community some questions about what they found works well and what doesnít.

What diets have you found to be the best to follow?

What exercise regimes have you followed that worked well for you?

How do you manage to lose the weight and keep it off?

What are your weight loss goals for 2018?

Iím also wondering if any here attend WeightWatchers or Slimming World and can recommend either for getting results. I attend WeightWatchers presently and in the past I became a gold member but that was a long time ago and now Iím starting again, but I am losing slowly but still have a long way to go.

Interested in hearing from others on this subject if theyíre confident enough to come forward.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
...ready for it
post Jan 17 2018, 03:37 AM
Post #2
Is it cool that I said all that?
Member No.: 1,454

Everything in moderation. I can't deprive myself of anything, I've been there and it doesn't work. It just makes me obsess over it even more. The scale used to dictate how I felt about myself, that's not a way to live.

+Quote Post
JŁpiter
post Jan 17 2018, 05:41 AM
Post #3
you only love me on the internet
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 22,895
   No Gallery Pics

If you can find some kind of exercise you enjoy, that works wonders because you're actually motivated to do it. Or something that you can do alongside that's fun. For example, I liked in the past to meet my friend for coffee after going to the gym in the morning, and because the gym was on the way to that meeting, I would go to it and it became a habit.

The fastest way is of course to cut something out of your diet at the same time as exercising a lot. I dropped about a stone in a month doing that once. Only do it if it suits you though, if it affects your mental health it's probably a net loss.

Personally I disliked most sports growing up and through school, but I actually ended up becoming a sportsperson briefly as a late teen surprisingly enough after taking something up in my early teens and just going along to it every week. I now really enjoy going to the gym because I get a rush from working my muscles, and I just put music on while I'm going, and if I'm just working out my legs, just play on my phone or tablet during it too.

I think actively paying to go to the gym or do a class works best too because if you're paying for it, you'll want to get the value for it. Then again, that's also partly because I can't go running any more due to an old injury, so it's gym and classes or nothing for me.

+Quote Post
gooddelta
post Jan 17 2018, 07:44 AM
Post #4
BuzzJack Idol
Member No.: 116

I’ve been doing the 5:2 diet since June and lost two and a half stone so far. It’s a great way to lose weight quickly but it’s incredibly difficult on the two days a week where you can only eat 500-600 calories. But if you have the willpower to follow it through, focus on the goal ahead and stick to eating low GI, filling foods on those days it can be bearable. It also stands to reason that while you can eat 2,000 calories the other five days, it needs to be relatively healthy and not a diet of just junk.

My goal was to lose four stone so hopefully another six months on it should do the trick though I haven’t lost anything in about three weeks now. There are a lot of lingering plateaus with the weight loss. I did recently fall from ‘overweight’ to ‘average’ on the BMI scale though, which I’m happy with.

This post has been edited by gooddelta: Jan 17 2018, 07:51 AM

+Quote Post
Cqmerqn
post Jan 17 2018, 08:31 AM
Post #5
Fuego!
Member No.: 23,155
   No Gallery Pics

Just eat less and exercise more

Recently Iíve been cutting out sugary products and replacing it with an apple or 0 calorie flavoured water. For exercise Iíve been walking. We should be doing 10,000 steps a day yet the average person does 3,500. I am close to doing 20,000 steps a day which is really helping.

Itís also important to consider why youíre hungry. If itís because youíre bored then just drink a glass of water. Youíre not actually hungry when youíre bored, itís just something you like to do so it sets itís mind on it.

+Quote Post
Jade
post Jan 17 2018, 08:43 AM
Post #6
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 12,810

I have never tried a proper diet or weight-loss club (my mum is constantly quitting and re-joining the likes of WeightWatchers and Slimming World, so she hasn't been the best advocate of those being a long-term thing), when I want to lose weight, just exercising more and cutting out snacking works for me. It is not the quickest method like some of the diets out there, but it is a doable method for me. Exercising is usually spending some time in the gym that our garage is converted to (there is a treadmill, weights, trampoline, mat where I can do gymnastics floor routines in there etc.) So far I am waiting for all of my Christmas chocolate and sweets to go (laugh.gif nearly there, just got so much over the festive period) and then I'm going to try and lose some weight before graduation.

+Quote Post
awardinary
post Jan 17 2018, 08:59 AM
Post #7
The Navigator
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(...ready for it @ Jan 17 2018, 03:37 AM) *
The scale used to dictate how I felt about myself, that's not a way to live.
I can relate to that, until this week my attitude was that I go to WeightWatchers just to feel rubbish about myself, but Iím changing my attitude now.
QUOTE(JŁpiter @ Jan 17 2018, 05:41 AM) *
If you can find some kind of exercise you enjoy, that works wonders because you're actually motivated to do it. Or something that you can do alongside that's fun.
Oh definitely, Iíve enjoyed a variety of sports over the years, the only negative conclusion I can make though is you usually require others to do it with, and the regularity of the exercise is key to making it work long-term. I am on the look for a new hobby or activity I can take up this year though.
QUOTE(gooddelta @ Jan 17 2018, 07:44 AM) *
Iíve been doing the 5:2 diet since June and lost two and a half stone so far.
Thatís very inspiring Rich, well done on your success so far. I havenít ever tried that diet so based on your results I may do.
QUOTE(cqmerqnita @ Jan 17 2018, 08:31 AM) *
Itís also important to consider why youíre hungry. If itís because youíre bored then just drink a glass of water. Youíre not actually hungry when youíre bored, itís just something you like to do so it sets itís mind on it.
Very good advice this is. I am in the category of an emotional eater, which basically means I eat more when Iím bored or feeling negative emotions. So what you said definitely resonates with me.
QUOTE(Jade @ Jan 17 2018, 08:43 AM) *
Exercising is usually spending some time in the gym that our garage is converted to (there is a treadmill, weights, trampoline, mat where I can do gymnastics floor routines in there etc.)

I'm going to try and lose some weight before graduation.
Youíve reminded me of some of th fitness equipment I still have lying around the house that I should make use of so that was helpful Jade.

Also Iíve every confidence in your ability to get fitter for your graduation and I hope you reach your goal weight!

+Quote Post
gooddelta
post Jan 17 2018, 09:06 AM
Post #8
BuzzJack Idol
Member No.: 116

QUOTE(awardinary @ Jan 17 2018, 08:59 AM) *
That’s very inspiring Rich, well done on your success so far. I haven’t ever tried that diet so based on your results I may do.

If you do give it a go, I'd highly recommend reading this book:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fast-Diet-Healthy-...ords=5%3A2+diet

I picked it up a couple of years ago but it's only last March or so that I finally got round to reading it - really inspired me and helped me to learn the science and methodology behind the diet, how it works and why it's not just 'not eating two days a week' as many people seem to perceive. Honestly there are tons of low-calorie foods like veg that you can eat as much of as you like on the 'fast days'. And you can always have a 'treat' the next day, as long as you eat them in relative moderation.

Have to admit I found it easier to do this diet in the summer than the winter as salads are light and perfect for the summer whereas in winter I just want something warm and filling to eat.

This post has been edited by gooddelta: Jan 17 2018, 09:06 AM

+Quote Post
Cameron
post Jan 17 2018, 10:35 AM
Post #9
THE BLAZE *.*
Member No.: 18,061

I would recommend Slimming World 100%. I've spoken about my issues with my weight on here before but when I was at my heaviest I decided to do Slimming World mixed with Cardio which worked so well and took my weight right down rather quickly. Slimming world is about food optimising so you can still have some treats and not just feel like you're restricted to salad and fruit.

+Quote Post
Midge
post Jan 17 2018, 10:46 AM
Post #10
I just think I'm neat
Member No.: 23,643
   No Gallery Pics

When I moved in the summer, the first thing I did was buy a cross-trainer.

A month and a half, a return of the first cross-trainer, and a pick of a different cross-trainer later, it was set up.

So from August to year-end I dropped 2 stone by doing the following:

Warm up consisting of 24 sit-ups, 24 reps of arm weights [I have doubled both of these to 48 from this month], some leg exercises.

"15 minute challenge" on the cross-trainer at as high a resistance as I can manage (I'm on level 7 of 8 now). Basically I run as far as I can in 15 minutes.

Warm down for around 5 minutes. I usually have a mix on for 20-22 minutes and warm down for however long is left of the mix. I try to keep to the beat of the music in the warm down (this is usually a warm down from what I had been doing).

+Quote Post
Cameron
post Jan 17 2018, 12:09 PM
Post #11
THE BLAZE *.*
Member No.: 18,061

Cross-trainer's are my favourite too! They work your whole body and i feel they are easier to do in terms of stamina, unlike a treadmill

+Quote Post
Emily Haines
post Jan 17 2018, 12:11 PM
Post #12
Gunshot Glitterô
Member No.: 10,790
   No Gallery Pics

I've yo-yoed throughout most of my 20s, with an ED taking hold at the start of it, which has somewhat warped my views on food and body image etc. In the past few years I've lost a few stone with Slimming World and then gained it back when I stopped going. I don't really do moderation in my life - it's all or nothing.

That said, I rejoined Slimming World last week - first weigh-in is tonight. I'm now finally starting to think more about my health and trying to find a balance in my life - somewhere between starvation and binge eating lol. I find I work better with a plan to stick to. If I did calorie counting then I'd just spend 1500 calories on chocolate. I also need to do some exercise, but one step at a time.

I've done WW before, but I would recommend SW over it.

I've always found maintenance the hardest part of any weight loss so any tips would be great!

+Quote Post
ML Hammer95
post Jan 17 2018, 12:46 PM
Post #13
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 21,265
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Midge @ Jan 17 2018, 10:46 AM) *
When I moved in the summer, the first thing I did was buy a cross-trainer.

A month and a half, a return of the first cross-trainer, and a pick of a different cross-trainer later, it was set up.

So from August to year-end I dropped 2 stone by doing the following:

Warm up consisting of 24 sit-ups, 24 reps of arm weights [I have doubled both of these to 48 from this month], some leg exercises.

"15 minute challenge" on the cross-trainer at as high a resistance as I can manage (I'm on level 7 of 8 now). Basically I run as far as I can in 15 minutes.

Warm down for around 5 minutes. I usually have a mix on for 20-22 minutes and warm down for however long is left of the mix. I try to keep to the beat of the music in the warm down (this is usually a warm down from what I had been doing).

Did you change your diet at all, dropping 2 stone?

+Quote Post
Midge
post Jan 17 2018, 12:50 PM
Post #14
I just think I'm neat
Member No.: 23,643
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(ML Hammer95 @ Jan 17 2018, 12:46 PM) *
Did you change your diet at all, dropping 2 stone?

Oh yeah I should add that before I moved, I was out usually Thursday, Friday and Sunday nights, DJing on Saturday, all would involve alcohol lol.

When I moved I stopped drinking much bar a handful of binge weekends when visiting friends or going back to DJ for a night and staying the weekend. Diet wise I just went from regularly having M&S ready meals to home cooked meals. I'd imagine this had *some* effect. But I attribute the bulk of that 2 stone to exercise. Probably 60-75% of it I'd say.

+Quote Post
lotita.
post Jan 17 2018, 01:15 PM
Post #15
feminist icon
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 21,777

i managed to lose a load of weight over the summer by working 24/7 and not eating properly as a result 0/10 would recommend as a sustainable weight loss plan. my plan after exams is to get more into healthy eating and i'm also going to hopefully join pilates and go to the gym more often. i doubt the last thing will happen but i can try

+Quote Post
awardinary
post Jan 17 2018, 02:35 PM
Post #16
The Navigator
   No Gallery Pics

Has anyone here ever gone on the paleo diet (aka ďcavemanĒ diet) and actually lost weight?

+Quote Post
JŁpiter
post Jan 17 2018, 04:17 PM
Post #17
you only love me on the internet
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 22,895
   No Gallery Pics

Paleo just seems to be quite like keto but minus dairy? Keto diet can help you drop weight pretty easily, my mum has done it in the past when she was a fitness trainer. Only thing is its quite expensive because its based on meat, cheese, veggies and sauces etc. So paleo is probably similar.

+Quote Post
awardinary
post Jan 17 2018, 06:36 PM
Post #18
The Navigator
   No Gallery Pics

I did a BMI check today at the pharmacy, along with a blood pressure test, and these were the results;

My BMI is 33.5 which puts me into the obese category which is quite shocking!

My blood pressure this morning have a reading of 133/85 which Iím told is slightly higher than average but nothing to be too concerned about.

And finally my blood glucose (which they measure for diabetes tests) gave a reading of 5mmol which Iím told is good.

So at least thatís something to go on I guess.

+Quote Post
T Boy
post Jan 17 2018, 06:51 PM
Post #19
Radical Pink Troll
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

Everything in moderation really does work as long as itís accompanied by regular exercise. I go to the gym and use the cross trainer and go swimming on an almost daily basis. I do struggle quite a bit with eating as I stress eat but I see results when I do cut down. My Fitbit app also helps as I can see what I eat and what treats I could be allowed each day.

+Quote Post
Cqmerqn
post Jan 17 2018, 07:41 PM
Post #20
Fuego!
Member No.: 23,155
   No Gallery Pics

BMI is an incredibly outdated method. It simply doesnít work.

For example, you could get two men both 6 foot and they could both be in the obese category.

One could genuinely be overweight
One could be very fit and muscly

Yet it recognises both as obese

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th May 2018 - 02:05 PM