BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> ‘Social Media Influencers’
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Klaus
post Jan 19 2018, 05:08 PM
Post #1
wtf are perfect places
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 17,160
   No Gallery Pics

http://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-a...e-a8167256.html

omg this has really pissed me off so I need a place to vent. I didn’t even know people dared to call themselves Social media Influencers but apparently it is actually a thing.

Basically some calling themselves one emailed a hotel to get a five night stay for free in return for a review/Instagram posts. The hotel put the email on their facebook and said no in a long and elongated way because who is going to pay for all the staff etc. Now, as is usual attention seeking Youtuber/sorry SOCIAL MEDIA INFLUENCER way, the person has posted an overly long video crying and saying how horrible the hotel was and she should get it for free and how great her life is for getting free things. I only watched the first couple of minutes because it is stupidly long and they always repeat themselves anyway. Now there’s a whole bunch of apparent ‘social media influencers’ attacking the hotel so he’s banned them all 😂😂

I really don’t think you should approach a business for a free stay unless you’re like the Queen or Gemma Collins, if you’re desperate to do so, you work out some negotiation. I can’t get over the fact that she mentions she had a deal with Universal Orlando and it worked out great for them, as if no one had heard of them before and they were really struggling x There’s so much entitlement arpund Youtubers/Instagrammers etc, it’s one generational thing that I really can’t stand. Oh, and another cliche is that she really suffers badly from anxiety which is obviously a qualification to be a Youtuber yet they display their entire life to the world. I would never ever undermine anxiety, as someone who has suffered from signs of it, but I do eye roll at every single Youtube ‘having it’.

(also, this is another general dislike at Youtubers not aimed at the person here but why do all youtubers edit their videos to cut out every single pause and so that it is edited every 2 seconds??? It’s another offputting thing about the whole thing in general)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cucumberella
post Jan 19 2018, 05:09 PM
Post #2
controlo qualquer um com a minha bruxaria
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 9,403

i LOVE that story lmao

+Quote Post
HarryEzra
post Jan 19 2018, 05:18 PM
Post #3
Sit Down. Be Humble.
Member No.: 20,835

I've also seen tweets about how problematic the hotel and its owner is...I do think both parties were deeply unprofessional.

+Quote Post
Brett-Butler
post Jan 19 2018, 06:49 PM
Post #4
Howdy, disco citizens.
Member No.: 10,455
   No Gallery Pics

Well, it's safe to say that everyone involved in this situation is going to benefit enormously. The hotel has just received the kind of national publicity that money can't buy, and are likely to be fully booked all the way to the end of 2018, and possibly even after that. The "social media influencer", on the other hand, will get hundreds of thousands of views on her YouTube account (many of this may be 'hate clicks', but hate clicks and regular clicks are all equal in the stats game), and some other hotel, sensing a chance of publicity, will offer her a free stay instead.

In almost all cases, I don't think that "social influencers" should contact hotels, or any business for that matter, directly demanding free stuff. Most businesses, or their PR team, are likely to have an idea of who the key social influencers who can help them with publicity for their goods or service are and contact them directly. There are some companies who do encourage YouTubers and relevant bloggers to reach out to them, like make-up companies or food companies, and specify this on their website, but if they don't, they shouldn't bother contacting them.

+Quote Post
5 Silas Frøkner
post Jan 19 2018, 10:18 PM
Post #5
Surfing in paradise
Member No.: 3,474

I don’t get it. I don’t get the need for these people to exist. Get a job like the rest of us.

I understand celeb endorsements, ironically the people with the most ability to pay, but who cares what some utter rando thinks?!

+Quote Post
ML Hammer95
post Jan 19 2018, 10:23 PM
Post #6
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 21,265

'The Queen or Gemma Collins'... oh dear. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Jan 20 2018, 06:30 PM
Post #7
Honey I rose up from the dead I do it all the time
Member No.: 10,139

Social influencer is the most pretentious title laugh.gif All these people who have a blog or a Youtube channel and suddenly think they're above normal society I can't stand. I get it if a company or service offers a freebie for review (like I know Sony and Nintendo send out free review copies for hype with big gaming channels on Youtube) but asking for a freebie and having a strop over getting it... The hotel is well within their rights tbh.

+Quote Post
T Boy
post Jan 20 2018, 07:10 PM
Post #8
Radical Pink Troll
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

Ugh, I didn’t know this was a thing, I hate it and it’s made me hate YouTube even more.

+Quote Post
Jade
post Jan 23 2018, 02:00 PM
Post #9
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Member No.: 12,810

Oh dear laugh.gif how cheeky of her! I understand that a way for YouTubers to make their money is through brand deals / sponsorships, but that is usually an offer from the company in question, not the 'influencer' (gah) trying to chance their luck like this. That email was a bit of a cringeworthy read, just because you have 70,000 followers or whatever through clothes shop hauls doesn't give you the right to act so high and mighty. YouTubers really need to stay grounded. I get that this is a job for many of them, but it's so off-putting when it is clearly ALL about the money. The response from the company hit the nail on the head - does this girl not realise that there will be plenty of staff to pay who are working hard to clean rooms and whatnot? Like, as you said in the OP, work out some kind of negotiation if you must but this is a step too far.

+Quote Post
PeteFromLeeds
post Jan 23 2018, 06:18 PM
Post #10
Not PeteFromGaviscon
Member No.: 23,247
   No Gallery Pics

So the hotel has sent her an invoice for 5 million euros and banned bloggers from staying there mellow.gif

+Quote Post
Bré
post Jan 23 2018, 08:12 PM
Post #11
Mr Jade Lauren Williams <333
Member No.: 8,300

Well that's just a bit needlessly petty.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th February 2018 - 11:32 PM