BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Is ignorance bliss?, Were you happier unaware?
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
T Boy
post Jan 21 2018, 04:18 PM
Post #1
Radical Pink Troll
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

Iíve been thinking about this phrase quite a bit lately and thereís definitely a lot of truth to it IMO. I think back to how happy I was as a child and even a teenager compared to now. Now Iím not exactly unhappy, but these days my eyes are more wide open to how the world really. Recent political happenings, celebrity controversies that have just come out and even the fact that Iíve been teaching teenagers for almost 8 years have all shown a side to the real world Iím not sure I knew existed back when I was an idealistic 17 year old in the early Buzzjack days. Do I just think I was happier back then just because I didnít know the stuff I know now?

Is it more difficult to remain in an ignorant bliss these days with social media? Is it more difficult to be sheltered these days?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
M.
post Jan 22 2018, 01:31 AM
Post #2
open up in a new way, open up on a monday
Group: Members
Member No.: 7,132
   No Gallery Pics

Interesting question! I agree with that as well. On a personal level I certainly feel like the older I get and the more experience I get, it's like.. a new dimension is opened up in my mind and in my (perception of) reality and it's not always as pleasant or as comfortable as I felt when I was less experienced (I'm probably still a little less experienced in some ways than most my age but that's a different story). I guess there's an element of growth in that though, maybe you need that.

As for social media, I get exhausted with all the info coming in from various sources so I've 'switched off' my News Feed on FB for instance, it gives me motivational quotes in place of that haha. I can still go onto people's pages and see their content - that has more to do with my own choice and what I actually want to look at, which is nice.

+Quote Post
Jade
post Jan 23 2018, 02:36 PM
Post #3
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 12,810

I feel like I might have immersed myself in the news at too young an age. Knowledge is great and it's cool that I figured out my passion in life at an early age, but I used to read some pretty dark true life stories for example that would be a bit scarring for an adult, let alone a 9-year-old. I found them so fascinating at the same time so I'd keep on reading. I think it's because me and my brother were so sheltered as kids (we were barely even allowed to go further than our street for years) so I would spend a lot of time in the house reading anything I could find - not just children's books, but my mum's newspapers and magazines as well. My dad didn't really like me doing this but I would justify it by saying I really wanted to write a magazine of my own one day laugh.gif So yeah, part of me wishes that I was blissfully unaware of some of the wrongdoings in the world for longer and just hung onto the innocence of my childhood a bit more while I had it. But... that wasn't the case, so life has not changed much on that front. Having said that, I do think I was fairly ignorant when it came to other aspects of life, as most kids are - for example, I believed in Santa Claus and the tooth fairy (albeit not for quite so long when it came to the latter) - those are great examples of 'ignorance is bliss' as I was upset to find out that neither was real. It was nice for the world to feel more magical and not quite as doom and gloom as it does at the moment. So there is some truth in the saying, but I still think I am a happy person anyway and no longer crave the past so much like I used to. Life as an adult can be bloody scary but I am a curious person (as every journo student should be!!) and I love to learn. So... I am currently in the position where generally I don't really think that ignorance is bliss, when I am like this as a person. Life sucks but the things that tend to give me anxiety are the most silly reasons anyway rather than real issues in the world laugh.gif

I think that children should definitely be sheltered to a point so they can enjoy their childhood while it's there. I do think that social media will throw a spanner in the works though if television already doesn't, when political figures like Trump for example are so active on Twitter, plus YouTubers, who have young audiences, talk about what is going on in the world frequently. It comes down to parenting at the end of the day but I really don't think that young kids should have iPads for example unless it's solely for playing games. Let kids be kids.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th February 2018 - 08:51 AM