BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Should there be more female performers at Wireless?, lack of diversity?
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Jade
post Jan 23 2018, 07:35 PM
Post #1
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 12,810

Lily Allen has pulled up the lack of female performers at Wireless on Twitter, in this image that omits the men:

Yep, that is THREE female performers over three days. Do you think this is fair? Or do you agree with people on social media saying things like "male artists are better/more suitable for the festival at the moment" and "draw better crowds"?

I have actually never been to Wireless (festivals are a no-go with claustrophobia x) but I think that three women over the entirety of the festival is really quite pitiful. There are so many talented ladies out there that seem suitable for these crowds, so it would have been nice to see a few more on the line-up. Especially on the empty Saturday. I think this image does highlight a lack of diversity.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
5 Silas Frřkner
post Jan 23 2018, 07:43 PM
Post #2
Surfing in paradise
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 3,474

That men are better for festivals thing is such shit. I’ve been to festivals and the women were huge draws. f*** sake The Saturdays even managed to get a huge crowd at TITP back in 2009 (maybe 2008). Festivals draw such a diverse crowd and people have such a diverse taste it’s only right that the line ups reflect that.

Even if we stick with this argument that the landfill indie is the only genre allowed to be represented at a festival there are still many mixed gender groups or female fronted groups that would fit that category.

And let’s not pretend that Beyoncé was anything other than a massive crowd puller for Glastonbury.

Their argument doesn’t hold water.

I don’t think there should be a quota as yes it’s often driven by who is currently releasing and impacting in charts etc etc but three over three days is a disgrace.

+Quote Post
Brett-Butler
post Jan 23 2018, 07:45 PM
Post #3
Howdy, disco citizens.
Member No.: 10,455
   No Gallery Pics

Wireless are free to book whoever they want for the festival, and the public are free to vote with their wallets by refusing to attend the festival if the lack of female artists is of concern to them. If enough people do that, then it will encourage the organizers to re-think their line-ups in the future.

+Quote Post
Cqmerqn
post Jan 23 2018, 07:45 PM
Post #4
Fuego!
Group: Members
Member No.: 23,155
   No Gallery Pics

I was literally about to post this!

there should be more women for sure. Lily Allen woke queen x

+Quote Post
Jade
post Jan 23 2018, 07:46 PM
Post #5
Mrs Brayden Smith <333

Yes I am totally not one who thinks that diversity boxes should be ticked for the sake of it, but that imbalance is insane! And it's not like the talent isn't there. I could think of so many examples off the top of my head that would slot in perfectly. Banks, Jorja Smith, Lady Leshurr, Kehlani, Kelela, SZA etc.

+Quote Post
Jüpiter
post Jan 23 2018, 07:52 PM
Post #6
you only love me on the internet
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 22,895
   No Gallery Pics

Yeah. The blame falls on whoever was booking the acts. Sometimes people just forget about whole swathes of music because they don't personally listen to it.

Having worked in venues in the past, this was a chronic problem when the person in charge of booking just didn't consider that a more diverse line-up would a) save our events from being slammed in the media for NOT being diverse and b) would potentially hit more sectors of audience, = more income.

+Quote Post
ML Hammer95
post Jan 23 2018, 07:55 PM
Post #7
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 21,265
   No Gallery Pics

Whose to say they didn't try and book more female acts only to get turned down?

+Quote Post
Jade
post Jan 23 2018, 08:00 PM
Post #8
Mrs Brayden Smith <333

I guess some could have turned it down but it seems like it would be an inconceivable amount of rejection to only be left with three. Idk, it is disappointing either way and I hope they will try harder next year after this backlash. I think I would be satisfied with at least double the amount... three just feels so low.

-'DJ Khaled and Friends' turns out to be like 10 women with him-

+Quote Post
Bré
post Jan 23 2018, 08:03 PM
Post #9
Mr Jade Lauren Williams <333
Member No.: 8,300

The most surprising thing here is Wireless having what looks like a pretty much 100% hip-hop lineup (apart from Mabel oddly enough but even she is R&B), I'm sure that hasn't been the case in the past? If that's what they were going for it's not really shocking there'd be so few women there, because hip-hop itself is basically 95% male at least in the mainstream (of course they could have booked some more less well-known female rappers I guess) - although that only shifts the debate to whether there should be more gender diversity in hip-hop (which, yes, there should be, it is shocking just how few female rappers have managed to make a commercial breakthrough).

+Quote Post
Brett-Butler
post Jan 23 2018, 08:09 PM
Post #10
Howdy, disco citizens.
Member No.: 10,455
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(5 Silas Frřkner @ Jan 23 2018, 08:43 PM) *
Even if we stick with this argument that the landfill indie is the only genre allowed to be represented at a festival there are still many mixed gender groups or female fronted groups that would fit that category.

Not sure if you mean in general or Wireless specifically, but the line-up this year is completely urban & R&B, so wouldn't expect any "landfill indie" to be booked for Wireless Festival. Although it does make the fact that there's not more female artists a little more curious.

+Quote Post
ML Hammer95
post Jan 23 2018, 08:15 PM
Post #11
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

Stefflon Don is a glaring omission here

+Quote Post
5 Silas Frřkner
post Jan 23 2018, 08:19 PM
Post #12
Surfing in paradise
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 3,474

QUOTE(Brett-Butler @ Jan 23 2018, 08:09 PM) *
Not sure if you mean in general or Wireless specifically, but the line-up this year is completely urban & R&B, so wouldn't expect any "landfill indie" to be booked for Wireless Festival. Although it does make the fact that there's not more female artists a little more curious.

Was going for in general, hence “a festival” rather than specifically about wireless.

+Quote Post
Jade
post Jan 23 2018, 08:22 PM
Post #13
Mrs Brayden Smith <333

Yeah maybe hip-hop is a bit thin on the ground for female breakout stars (altho... CupcakKe coming to slay!!11 laugh.gif) but there are plenty of well-known female R&B names out there on top of Mabel. Stefflon Don is another good example from people I didn't mention, ML Hammer.

Last year was quite hip-hop/R&B-centric as well but I remember Zara Larsson being in the line-up, so it looks like the full transition happened this year!

+Quote Post
The Snake
post Jan 23 2018, 08:24 PM
Post #14
Hiss.
Member No.: 23,308
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Bré @ Jan 23 2018, 08:03 PM) *
The most surprising thing here is Wireless having what looks like a pretty much 100% hip-hop lineup (apart from Mabel oddly enough but even she is R&B), I'm sure that hasn't been the case in the past? If that's what they were going for it's not really shocking there'd be so few women there, because hip-hop itself is basically 95% male at least in the mainstream (of course they could have booked some more less well-known female rappers I guess) - although that only shifts the debate to whether there should be more gender diversity in hip-hop (which, yes, there should be, it is shocking just how few female rappers have managed to make a commercial breakthrough).

Yes and that's also why less females have made the top 40 charts compared to males (as was mentioned recently on Buzzjack),I think , because urban (whose popular artists atm are mostly male) has dominated the charts recently.

This post has been edited by The Snake : Jan 23 2018, 08:25 PM

+Quote Post
Bré
post Jan 23 2018, 08:24 PM
Post #15
Mr Jade Lauren Williams <333
Member No.: 8,300

Mabel is literally the only non-rapper on the lineup as far as I can see so... 100% female representation among the non-rap acts? laugh.gif (well DJ Khaled isn't a rapper either but that's different)

Stefflon Don certainly could have been there, I'd forgotten about her.

+Quote Post
The Snake
post Jan 23 2018, 08:26 PM
Post #16
Hiss.
Member No.: 23,308
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Bré @ Jan 23 2018, 08:24 PM) *
Mabel is literally the only non-rapper on the lineup as far as I can see so... 100% female representation among the non-rap acts? laugh.gif (well DJ Khaled isn't a rapper either but that's different)

Stefflon Don certainly could have been there, I'd forgotten about her.

Lady Leshurr and Little Simz too could have been there!

Expect the 'plus more to be announced' they are referring to at the bottom to be mostly female though after the attention Lily Allen has given to the gender imbalance at Wireless.

This post has been edited by The Snake : Jan 23 2018, 08:30 PM

+Quote Post
ML Hammer95
post Jan 23 2018, 08:35 PM
Post #17
BuzzJack Platinum Member
   No Gallery Pics

Considering the huge year that urban music had last year, I'm not surprised they didn't need to flesh out the line-up with pop artists like Zara Larsson.

I agree there are so many great female artists who could have been invited (Ray BLK, who signed to a major label this week, being another example). The only thing I would say is that the 'snubbed' female artists should make their music unavoidable over the next twelve months to ensure more representation in 2019. Reminds me of the lack of black artists nominated for the BRITs a few years ago and now they are starting to be noticed by these award ceremonies - by making their music too big to ignore.

There are so many talented female artists in the scene right now, and with albums to come from Jorja Smith, Mabel, Ray BLK and Stefflon Don this year, I wouldn't imagine the same will happen next year.

+Quote Post
Doctor Blind
post Jan 23 2018, 10:21 PM
Post #18
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
Member No.: 7,561
   No Gallery Pics

Well there are a lot of female alternative R&B and urban/hip-hop artists doing quite well at the moment that could quite easily fit on the bill.

Why the likes of Kelela, Rapsody and Jessie Ware couldn't be on there?

Yes there is an overrepresentation of male artists in the mainstream of these genres but IMO that makes it even more imperative to provide a large platform to support these new & upcoming artists. Some of my favourite music discoveries I've made are at a festival watching some random act who was on before the one that I wanted to watch.

QUOTE(ML Hammer95 @ Jan 23 2018, 08:35 PM) *
I agree there are so many great female artists who could have been invited (Ray BLK, who signed to a major label this week, being another example). The only thing I would say is that the 'snubbed' female artists should make their music unavoidable over the next twelve months to ensure more representation in 2019. Reminds me of the lack of black artists nominated for the BRITs a few years ago and now they are starting to be noticed by these award ceremonies - by making their music too big to ignore.

There are so many talented female artists in the scene right now, and with albums to come from Jorja Smith, Mabel, Ray BLK and Stefflon Don this year, I wouldn't imagine the same will happen next year.

I hope so, but I don't really agree with you that the onus is on them to make their music unavoidable - if the playing field is not fair in the first place and you've to overcome gender stereotypes etc. then there is only so much you can do, I do feel like things are slowly changing though so maybe in the next few years we'll see this play out. Like I say, I hope so.

+Quote Post
Riser
post Jan 24 2018, 12:03 AM
Post #19
My roof look like a no show
Member No.: 19,534

Country festivals are terrible for this too, I'm surprised no big names have spoken out about it the way Lily has for Wireless. It's this annoying self-perpetuating cycle where male artists are getting 90% of the exposure/airplay, and the festivals want performers that people will know so their lineups are 90% male as well, making it substantially hard for female artists to get a look in.

+Quote Post
Doctor Blind
post Jan 31 2018, 11:13 AM
Post #20
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
Member No.: 7,561
   No Gallery Pics

From P!nk:

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th June 2018 - 07:22 AM