BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> LGBTQQIP2SAAK+, aka the LGBT+ community
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Liаm
post Jan 25 2018, 04:56 PM
Post #1
Honey I rose up from the dead I do it all the time
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 10,139

Nope that's not a typo or me taking the piss, that is now a version of the LGBT acronym laugh.gif

Lesbian
Gay
Bisexual
Transgender
Questionng
Queer
Intersex
Pansexual
2 Spirit (this is referring to a "third gender" in some tribal communities)
Asexual
Allies
Kink

My reason for this thread isn't to disparage but to wonder - does anyone feel they identify with any of the "extra" labels (we don't need to know why you might belong to K though xxx)? Do we feel that they should be added? The acronym that represents us as a community has been debated b many, some think that way too many letters are being added and it's confusing, others are even idiotic enough to say that trans should be excluded.... On a related note, people have wanted to add other colours to the LGBT rainbow flag to represent, for example, people of colour. It's amazing how people object to tiny things that threaten the status quo laugh.gif What harm does it do to add colours to a flag?

As a larger question, also, what do people feel about the actual community - do you "belong" to it and like the sense of belonging it brings?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Jan 25 2018, 04:59 PM
Post #2

For me, it defeats the purpose of being seen as this all-inclusive welcoming community if we are like x can't be included. I know the + and the Q are sufficient as they encompass pretty much anything but I think for people who are those it's about not being an "other" or added extra, having somewhere where you belong and matter as an individual for who you are. Things like pansexuality and asexuality are so rarely discussed in society or not understood so it's important they have a place in the community I think. I also like allies being included, because it doesn't fence off LGBT+ individuals as some sort of special or higher group, it includes those who support them who for me are just as important. The one thing I think is maybe the K is a bit far, like doesn't everyone have some form of kink? laugh.gif Amusing side story there, I saw someone who identifies as "pup" for their gender because of their fetish LMAOOO, someone on my twitter shared a screenshot of a genuine legit plea for them to be referred to using the pronoun "pup" - including "pupself" rotf.gif

As for myself in the community, I am the G of it and I think it's important to have that sense of belonging. Events like Pride are such a fun time and show the best of the community, and on social media and stuff I'm glad there's a strong presence of like minded people who I can relate to and share experiences with. I love the LGBT community in that way even if I think in the dating/sexual sense it might be a bit hypocritical as we can be among the least tolerant people laugh.gif "no fats no femmes no chocolate no rice" etc. - but there's good and bad everywhere. We shouldn't let the idiots cloud our judgement tbh.

+Quote Post
cqmerqn
post Jan 25 2018, 04:59 PM
Post #3
lotita 4ever
Group: Members
Member No.: 23,155
   No Gallery Pics

Ridiculous

+Quote Post
The Snake
post Jan 25 2018, 05:19 PM
Post #4
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 23,308
   No Gallery Pics

Oh my, that's a very long acronym ohmy.gif

On a general point about sexuality, I think sexuality or types of sexuality has too much importance I think in society anyway, its only a small part of our lives which is mostly private! Society shouldn't be as interested in what other people's sexuality is!

I suppose if people didn't get discriminated against because of their sexuality, which would be the ideal, then sexuality wouldn't be as important in society and maybe people would start caring less about what sexuality somebody is.

This post has been edited by The Snake : Jan 25 2018, 05:24 PM

+Quote Post
mdh
post Jan 25 2018, 05:31 PM
Post #5
no
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 22,776
   No Gallery Pics

can't it just be LGBT+

+Quote Post
Jüpiter
post Jan 25 2018, 06:02 PM
Post #6
i got new rules i've got them
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 22,895
   No Gallery Pics

I feel like there has become a problem with racism in the US gay/LGBTQ... community. I was pretty surprised to see - was it last summer? - people wanting to add black and brown to the rainbow flag, but when I did some reading and talking and understood that certain white gays in the US were using the rainbow flag to refer to exclusively themselves, that made a bit more sense. (Although I still think it's putting the cart before the horse and letting them get away with subverting the rainbow beyond its literal original purpose)

I feel like things are in a kind of transition period at the minute. The biggest thing that's different to me seeing young people now is that there's very little homophobia (of course, this is biased to me living in a city now, but I imagine it trickles through to towns a little too so it's a BIT better than when I was a teen) by nature, and much more people openly questioning, even considering being bisexual or the concept of being bisexual - instead of being horrified at the idea and having a kneejerk reaction as if such a thing was The Worst Thing Ever. I quite like that. I think it's more reasonable and civilised instead of being disrespectful and closed-minded as a default.

As for these other labels and things. Maybe some will stay. Maybe some will fade away. Maybe they'll all stay. But they seem to me like possibly just a symptom of more people than ever exploring and questioning and actually thinking, "what if" and "what am I really when I think about it", instead of just jumping on straight off the bat because that was the only safe thing to admit to being or thinking you were.

+Quote Post
HarryEzra
post Jan 25 2018, 06:07 PM
Post #7
Sit Down. Be Humble.
Member No.: 20,835

See I always thought having QA after LGBT was to include everything else under the queer umbrella? I don't know how I feel about LGBTQQIP2SAAK+ its a bit much laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Klaus
post Jan 25 2018, 06:09 PM
Post #8
wtf are perfect places
Member No.: 17,160
   No Gallery Pics

For a community that has been generally advocating against the use of labels, it sure likes its labels.

+Quote Post
danG
post Jan 25 2018, 06:19 PM
Post #9
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

imo they should just call it LGBT+ and leave it at that, better to try and teach that the + makes it more inclusive of people not fitting exactly into LGBT, rather than to just keep adding letters.

I also think some (very small minority) people take 'preferred pronouns' (and so-called 'Tumblr genders', and don't get me started on otherkin) too far, not as in whether you wish to be called a he/she/they but when people start inventing pronouns and expect society to just instantly understand/learn them.

+Quote Post
Brett-Butler
post Jan 25 2018, 06:35 PM
Post #10
Howdy, disco citizens.
Member No.: 10,455
   No Gallery Pics

One thing I learned recently that I found interesting that up until about the early 80s "gay" was used as an all encompassing word to describe everyone who would be regarded in that community, then only later evolved into LBG, then LBGT, and now what the current lingo is. I'm not sure what sparked the change, although one suspects that it was due to some less-than-acceptable groups who wanted to be included under what was then the "gay" banner, with the acronyms being adopted to make it perfectly clear they were definitely not welcome.

+Quote Post
Regina
post Jan 25 2018, 07:11 PM
Post #11
Raining Shitter
Member No.: 5,572

QUOTE(Jüpiter @ Jan 25 2018, 07:02 PM) *
I feel like there has become a problem with racism in the US gay/LGBTQ... community. I was pretty surprised to see - was it last summer? - people wanting to add black and brown to the rainbow flag, but when I did some reading and talking and understood that certain white gays in the US were using the rainbow flag to refer to exclusively themselves, that made a bit more sense. (Although I still think it's putting the cart before the horse and letting them get away with subverting the rainbow beyond its literal original purpose)

I feel like things are in a kind of transition period at the minute. The biggest thing that's different to me seeing young people now is that there's very little homophobia (of course, this is biased to me living in a city now, but I imagine it trickles through to towns a little too so it's a BIT better than when I was a teen) by nature, and much more people openly questioning, even considering being bisexual or the concept of being bisexual - instead of being horrified at the idea and having a kneejerk reaction as if such a thing was The Worst Thing Ever. I quite like that. I think it's more reasonable and civilised instead of being disrespectful and closed-minded as a default.

As for these other labels and things. Maybe some will stay. Maybe some will fade away. Maybe they'll all stay. But they seem to me like possibly just a symptom of more people than ever exploring and questioning and actually thinking, "what if" and "what am I really when I think about it", instead of just jumping on straight off the bat because that was the only safe thing to admit to being or thinking you were.

You dn't consider being bizesual (or any other sexuality), you either are or you aren't.

As for labels, I'm kinda sick of all these new things apparing that are just slight deviations from already commonly used labels. It's like people want to be equal and included in normal society but try their hardest to seperate themselves from it at the same time. Leave it as LGBT+ and shut up.

+Quote Post
Midge
post Jan 25 2018, 07:35 PM
Post #12
I just think I'm neat
Member No.: 23,643
   No Gallery Pics

"pup" wouldn't be a gender, it'd be a species, making them transspecies... or am I not understanding that correctly? unsure.gif

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Jan 25 2018, 07:46 PM
Post #13

QUOTE(Midge @ Jan 25 2018, 07:35 PM) *
"pup" wouldn't be a gender, it'd be a species, making them transspecies... or am I not understanding that correctly? unsure.gif

That's what they said,I don't think much logic can be applied to it laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Midge
post Jan 25 2018, 07:51 PM
Post #14
I just think I'm neat
Member No.: 23,643
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Liаm @ Jan 25 2018, 07:46 PM) *
That's what they said,I don't think much logic can be applied to it laugh.gif

It's like saying somebody who's an "adult baby" is an actual baby, except that baby is their gender.

Yep, "kink" really shouldn't be on that list should it laugh.gif

+Quote Post
danG
post Jan 25 2018, 07:56 PM
Post #15
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

related; there was a "trans-age" thing going around a short while ago (google it), it was a troll but Poe's Law...

+Quote Post
Jüpiter
post Jan 25 2018, 07:58 PM
Post #16
i got new rules i've got them
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 22,895
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Regina @ Jan 25 2018, 07:11 PM) *
You dn't consider being bizesual (or any other sexuality), you either are or you aren't.

As for labels, I'm kinda sick of all these new things apparing that are just slight deviations from already commonly used labels. It's like people want to be equal and included in normal society but try their hardest to seperate themselves from it at the same time. Leave it as LGBT+ and shut up.

I didn't mean in that sense.

I meant in the sense that people who in the past would have repressed it and insisted there's no way they could be, are now considering whether they actually might be, earlier. And identifying as such (or various other things) earlier instead of forcing any feelings they might have had in that direction down and just dating opposite-sex and marrying because that was the only socially acceptable option; that, or become a complete social outcast by being openly a dreaded Gay person.

+Quote Post
LexC
post Jan 25 2018, 08:02 PM
Post #17
unofficially fabulous
Member No.: 5,342

See, this is why (and other ~ ~ ~ kewl ~ ~ ~) folk like to use "queer" as a nice open ended term that leaves all these other future eventualities covered. Not that I think 'Kinky' people even need to be included to be honest but that's a whole other thing.

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post Jan 25 2018, 08:22 PM
Post #18
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 3,272
   No Gallery Pics

A pedant writes

An acronym has to be a pronounceable word. Therefore, NATO and laser (light amplification by stimulated emission of radiation) are acronyms, but BBC and LGBT, or any extension thereof, are not.

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Jan 25 2018, 08:30 PM
Post #19

A non pedant writes

I kno what an acronym is but that's what it is referred to as smile.gif

+Quote Post
Lindsey 🙃
post Jan 25 2018, 08:38 PM
Post #20
low-key, no pressure, just hang with me and my weather
Member No.: 21,176
   No Gallery Pics

It's funny because as a society we never had the language to describe other orientations until fairly recently, you were either heterosexual or homosexual and even at that, homosexuality during the Victorian era was only thought to exist between men as women would never do such a thing kink.gif but it's almost as if we've went too far in the other direction with all of these additional letters. Don't get me wrong, i think it's amazing that we have the vocabulary and understanding to explain these various identities but like kink and ally?? I thought the whole point of having Queer was to have an umbrella term that people who don't feel comfortable using LGBT could use if they wanted? I get that Asexual and Intersex should be as valid as as any other letter though.

I think labels are always kinda progressing in their meaning too, like bisexuality to some people means attraction to specifically two genders (male and female?) But we've progressed to understand that there are more than two gender identities So to a lot of people it can mean more than two. Some will argue that that's Pansexuality though. In that instance it just comes down to what the individual feels most comfortable with tbh

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th February 2018 - 07:43 PM