BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> SWEARING
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Liаm
post Jan 25 2018, 10:43 PM
Post #1
Brown cow, stunning!
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 10,139

The C bomb caused a bit of a stir among BB viewers tonight - so here's a time to discuss....

Do you swear a lot? Do you get offended by it? Are there certain words you just cannot say or hear? These might not necessarily be swear words but of course for a lot of people racial or homophobic slurs can hit hard.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Jan 25 2018, 10:45 PM
Post #2
Brown cow, stunning!
Member No.: 10,139

I'm personally not phased by swearing and I do swear a lot oops. They're just words, although I can see how connotations of certain words would offend people so I wouldn't swear at or around someone I knew would be offended by it, because I am aware people have very different opinions and reactions.

Ofc in terms of sexuality faggot is a bit of a no go, but if my friends or I say it jokingly I don't mind, but I think as a slur that's one that would hit me if used pejoratively. The C word would not phase me but I know the extreme reactions other can have so I wouldn't take using it to someone lightly.

+Quote Post
Jade
post Jan 26 2018, 01:21 AM
Post #3
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 12,810

My parents brought both me and my brother up not to swear (which is hypocritical as my dad swears so much laugh.gif I think that was moreso my mum's influence) so as a result I swear very rarely. Maybe just when I'm extremely frustrated but even then that's predominantly through the Internet. It just sounds so unnatural coming out of my mouth in my accent when otherwise I am usually so polite. It doesn't bother me when other people swear though, unless they're using their words as derogatory weapons to offend somebody. In that case it is largely rude and uncalled for.

+Quote Post
Riser
post Jan 26 2018, 03:09 AM
Post #4
My roof look like a no show
Member No.: 19,534

My answer's gonna be similar to Jade's. I never swear and can't even remember the last time I used a swear word in conversation, BUT I'm very comfortable around other people swearing as it's just a personal choice for me not to. I also sound super unnatural swearing and it would definitely catch people off-guard to hear anything remotely vulgar out of my mouth laugh.gif I don't trust myself to always know what crosses the line and what doesn't, so for me it's easier to refrain from swearing altogether.

While I'm not bothered by others swearing in conversation, I'm definitely turned off by certain movies that have needlessly excessive swearing, and with music I'll *sometimes* go out of my way to listen to a clean version.

+Quote Post
N/A
post Jan 26 2018, 03:39 AM
Post #5
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 14,043
   No Gallery Pics

what's the difference between saying "f**k" and "the"? rotf.gif they're. just. words. I've always found anybody offended by (especially) basic swear words to be extremely silly.

+Quote Post
5 Silas FrÝkner
post Jan 26 2018, 07:28 AM
Post #6
Surfing in paradise
Member No.: 3,474

Yeah like I think every time I open my mouth a swear word falls out. f*** is basically my fave word, itís just so versatile. Also not afraid of dropping the c**t bomb but I try not to at work because for some reason people are fine with f*** but have a bloody stroke at the mere hint of someone saying c**t. Grow up itís a word. Itís not a slur so the only power it has is imaginary.

I donít drop slurs at all. I wouldnít class them as swearing. I swear as itís part of how I express myself and honestly because who gives a f*** (tho never in front of clients because some people are uptight AF and think itís unprofessional) but to drop a slur is to cause someone intentional pain and thatís not my style.

+Quote Post
PeteFromLeeds
post Jan 26 2018, 07:35 AM
Post #7
Oh I may not be the best, but I'm far from the worst
Member No.: 23,247
   No Gallery Pics

Agree with Jade & Jordan here, I don't think I ever swear really and it is something people pick up on, but I've never felt right swearing- sometimes it just feels 'dirty' if I say it. But everyone I spend time around swears all the time so I guess I'm just used to people swearing and 'expect' them to swear. Swearing in music is a big no-no for me though, if it's one word it's fine but if it's multiple or repeated in the chorus I'll just avoid it, even if I really like the song (see: Sofi Tukker- Best Friend)

This post has been edited by PeteFromLeeds: Jan 26 2018, 07:37 AM

+Quote Post
lotita.
post Jan 26 2018, 09:01 AM
Post #8
feminist icon
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 21,777

I swear quite a bit oops. Never usually directed at people, unless theyíre pissing me off whilst driving angel.gif

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Jan 26 2018, 09:13 AM
Post #9
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 17,376
   No Gallery Pics

I swear for effect. It underlines how strongly I feel when necessary. Swearwords are useful tools, insults are very different, there's a big distinction between them. "Fat" isn't a swearword but it could be an insult if used in an insulting manner. JK Rowling feels very strongly about the C word being denigrating to women - I don't, anymore than bodily functions or male parts are denigrating to people/men. It's not the part or the gender that is being denigrated, it's reducing the target to the status of a body part that makes it effective.

When you think of, say, Hitler, you have to have an ultimate insult that is applicable. "Evil murderer" just doesnt do him justice. It needs a few f and c words to properly describe him.

+Quote Post
JŁpiter
post Jan 26 2018, 09:30 AM
Post #10
you only love me on the internet
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 22,895
   No Gallery Pics

Yeah, I swear a lot. It's pretty cultural to where I'm from. For the most part though I don't at work, I have a 'work voice' which is very professional and measured and not much like actual me!

+Quote Post
danG
post Jan 26 2018, 11:28 AM
Post #11
◢ ◤
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

as a rule I don't in a work/uni environment or with people I barely know or old people but different story online or at home (I think my mum swears even more than I do lol)

+Quote Post
Tawdry Hepburn
post Jan 26 2018, 11:42 AM
Post #12
I'll find your lips in the street lights
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 51

I think swearing can sometimes be a really effective way of emphasising a point you're trying to make.

QUOTE(jase. @ Jan 26 2018, 03:39 AM) *
what's the difference between saying "f**k" and "the"? rotf.gif they're. just. words. I've always found anybody offended by (especially) basic swear words to be extremely silly.

Agreed, it's just pandering to what society tells you to do really. Although by the same token I love that there are select words that can have a certain level of shock value.

+Quote Post
HarryEzra
post Jan 26 2018, 12:29 PM
Post #13
Sit Down. Be Humble.
Member No.: 20,835

I do swear yeah and I don't mind people swearing in conversations they are just words at the end of the day, that's all. But I barely drop the C bomb, only if I am raging at something or someone will I use that. It's a word that people can sometimes find offensive so I am aware of there is a time and place to use the C word.

+Quote Post
Iz
post Jan 26 2018, 04:15 PM
Post #14
l'etat, c'est moi
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 12,929

Not a fan of swearing. Not because I find it crude, because being scared of words like they're voodoo is silly. It doesn't fit with my character to swear really. See, their value as words is for shock value alone. So each time you use them it diminishes their impact, hence I really limit myself. I only ever swear when I want to make a point.

Plus I don't know if anyone else gets this, but it's unpleasant to be around people who swear a lot, because of the connotations, it's all too easy to me to get the impression that they're permanently angry. And then I get concerned because I'm thinking what could have made them so angry.

+Quote Post
T Boy
post Jan 26 2018, 05:38 PM
Post #15
Radical Pink Troll
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

I was brought up not to swear but Iím so bad with it now. I use f*** and shit an awful lot. I am well trained not to swear at appropriate times though otherwise Iíd have no job so I obviously donít swear in front of the students or ever in front of my parents.

I swear quite a lot in here too.

+Quote Post
mdh
post Jan 26 2018, 05:45 PM
Post #16
oh, the less i know the better
Member No.: 22,776
   No Gallery Pics

swearing doesn't HAVE to have negative connotations though - for example if you're using it for emphasis (like f*** yeah, or holy shit) they can reinforce that something's positive.

i've never seen why people have a problem with swearing, they're just words at the end of the day and (in my opinion) you have to be a bit shallow to take offense over a sound that comes out of someone's mouth, there's far more important things in life to worry about laugh.gif

+Quote Post
mdh
post Jan 26 2018, 05:46 PM
Post #17
oh, the less i know the better
Member No.: 22,776
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(T Boy @ Jan 26 2018, 05:38 PM) *
I was brought up not to swear but I’m so bad with it now. I use f*** and shit an awful lot. I am well trained not to swear at appropriate times though otherwise I’d have no job so I obviously don’t swear in front of the students or ever in front of my parents.

I swear quite a lot in here too.

by the time i got to sixth form, all the teachers had given up on the whole 'no swearing' thing - they all swore like troopers lmao, presumably 'cause they knew we didn't give a shit

+Quote Post
Midge
post Jan 26 2018, 05:47 PM
Post #18
I just think I'm neat
Group: Members
Member No.: 23,643
   No Gallery Pics

Really I think it's more about the way you say it than what you say. Though words are powerful!

I heard somewhere that those with high IQs swear a lot more than the average person laugh.gif

+Quote Post
T Boy
post Jan 26 2018, 05:49 PM
Post #19
Radical Pink Troll
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Midge @ Jan 26 2018, 05:47 PM) *
Really I think it's more about the way you say it than what you say. Though words are powerful!

I heard somewhere that those with high IQs swear a lot more than the average person laugh.gif

That cannot be true. Iíve met kids that do literally nothing but swear and theyíre thick as pig shit.

+Quote Post
Chez Wombat
post Jan 26 2018, 06:44 PM
Post #20
The owls are not what they seem
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

I do swear quite a bit to myself in frustrating circumstances, but I obviously limit myself when I'm talking to people or in a professional manner, still I see nothing in particular wrong with it as long as it's not said at completely the wrong time - it adds emphasis to frustration and can sometimes honestly just lighten the situation a bit, I feel a little bit more comfortable around a person if I know that they feel free to swear sometimes and they're not censoring themselves too much (as long as it's not directed to me or they just get angry all the time kink.gif). I'm strictly talking the likes of shit, bloody and bollocks here. The c-word's a bit more of a no-go and I certainly wouldn't say that in front of anyone I know.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th May 2018 - 12:36 AM