BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> CYCLISTS
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
T Boy
post Jan 28 2018, 02:17 PM
Post #1
Radical Pink Troll
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

Do you have an opinion on them? Do you cycle?

I used to love going out on my bike when I was little. Now that I drive, I kind of find cyclists annoying. I’m not bothered about having to overtake a single cyclist once or twice on a journey buts it’s when I come across a massive group of them when they’re all the way out in the middle of the road and it’s just too dangerous to try and overtake. Since new year hit, they’ve all been out in force again.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
danG
post Jan 28 2018, 02:29 PM
Post #2
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

Where I am we don't get a lot of cyclists so they don't annoy me. Besides I'd be a hypocrite cos I've cycled on many an occasion.

+Quote Post
M.
post Jan 28 2018, 02:30 PM
Post #3
open up in a new way, open up on a monday
Group: Members
Member No.: 7,132
   No Gallery Pics

whoever said that once you learn how to ride a bike you never stop being able to do it was a filthy liar or never met me

+Quote Post
BridgeCow
post Jan 28 2018, 02:42 PM
Post #4
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 23,860
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(M. @ Jan 28 2018, 02:30 PM) *
whoever said that once you learn how to ride a bike you never stop being able to do it was a filthy liar or never met me

oh my god this, I loved riding my bike when I was little but I hadn't done it for years and then like last summer I tried again and I completely bottled it I acc have no idea how to ride a bike anymore it's so bad

+Quote Post
T Boy
post Jan 28 2018, 02:55 PM
Post #5
Radical Pink Troll
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

How do you forget tho? I mean, it’s so simple.

+Quote Post
Chez Wombat
post Jan 28 2018, 03:01 PM
Post #6
The owls are not what they seem
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

I would quite like to ride a bike again as it's a good way to keep fit, but I'm a bit scared of doing it in London due to the amount of traffic (and my terrible co-ordination doesn't help kink.gif)

I have nothing against cyclists EXCEPT when they don't obey the traffic lights at a crossing or cycle on the pavement when there's a marked cycle lane in the road right next to them.

+Quote Post
dandy*
post Jan 28 2018, 03:06 PM
Post #7
Mansonette
Member No.: 54
   No Gallery Pics

I found it very easy to start cycling again and that was after 20 years... wobbly at first but back to normal by the end of the first road or so...

As for other cyclists, I absolutely hate it when they squeeze through between the cars at lights with no care for whether they scratch the cars or not and then plonk themselves smack in front of the first car, just to then slowly pull away and keep a trail of vehicles behind them!

+Quote Post
PeteFromLeeds
post Jan 28 2018, 03:20 PM
Post #8
Not PeteFromGaviscon
Member No.: 23,247
   No Gallery Pics

I went cycling twice last year. The first time was during my Explorer Belt when we went on a ride around the coast of the Dingle Peninsula. The weather was nice most of the day, we got amazing views of the cliffs and the sea and there were plenty of places we could stop to rest. The roads were also really good for cycling.

The second time was on our holiday when we decided to hire bikes and cycle down a 'cycle path' alongside the Bure Valley Railway. The path was just a mud track that was really hard to cycle down, it tipped it down and all the 'villages' that had been advertised to us were miles away from the tracks except for one which didn't have anything in it so we had lunch in a bus shelter blush.gif We had about 15 minutes to stop in the café at the end before we had to pelt all the way back to the start to get the bikes back. I pretty much collapsed after that laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Bré
post Jan 28 2018, 05:32 PM
Post #9
Mr Jade Lauren Williams <333
Member No.: 8,300

I haven't been on a bike since one time we were going to go for a family bike ride at Center Parcs and my dad insisted I would be able to even though I hadn't been on a bike for years... then I instantly fell off and injured myself. Never forgetting how to ride a bike is 100% a lie. x

+Quote Post
5 Silas Frřkner
post Jan 28 2018, 06:11 PM
Post #10
Surfing in paradise
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 3,474

The worst thing about Cyclists for me is that when you're on narrow, twisty country roads it's hard to overtake them safely. Especially when they're in pack formation. It's hard enough passing in single file with the weaving across the road but when there's multiple side-by-side it's impossible.

Not so bad in the city where the speed differential is significantly lower and the roads are a bit wider but it gives rise to other issues.

I have no problem giving them a wide berth (per the Highway Code) mainly because I don't trust them not to suddenly weave/wobble right into my car. I think that a number of Cyclists are hypocrites. They're so quick to bitch about the Highway Code when not being given enough space but will run light a red light as they're bitching about a car on helmet cam. Aside from a blasé approach to traffic lights they also won't obey road signs (Like Give-away or Stop) and then weave through the traffic, as Dandy said, without a care in the world for your car and if they'll damage it as they ram their way through.

Separate cycle ways are the best place for them I think, especially the paths that have special bicycle traffic light signals. (not that they'll ever obey them either)

+Quote Post
Rooney
post Jan 28 2018, 06:52 PM
Post #11
WINTER IS COMING
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 88

I find them irritating when driving, but I am sure they probably find drivers just as irritating.

Going at sub speeds in residential areas, sneaking through red lights, riding on the pavement to overtake buses/lorries, cycling out in the middle of the road.. all annoying. But then often I don't think drivers give cyclists enough space on the roads (which is because the roads were built for cars). All just very annoying for all parties.

+Quote Post
Jade
post Jan 29 2018, 01:02 AM
Post #12
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Member No.: 12,810

I learnt to ride a bike when I was about 7 or 8, but then neglected it for years after a little while. However, I was still able to ride my bike perfectly fine after all those years and got into it quite a bit! I would often cycle to and from secondary school for instance. However, I have once again neglected cycling as my bike is a bit too small for me now. Maybe I need to get a new one and utilise it in the future because I did really enjoy cycling when I used to do it a fair amount.

+Quote Post
Iz
post Jan 29 2018, 02:31 AM
Post #13
there must be a penalty
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 12,929

not all cyclists

From my perspective, it's mostly annoying when there isn't a cycle path on whatever route I'm doing, then I either have to mow down pedestrians or scrape past cars without them noticing and crushing me. But really it's a bit awkward, I can't exactly take up a road space, so I have to just hug the kerb and let the cars past, and that's not exactly the most safe-feeling way to cycle - some cars are good and give me a wide berth, although I feel embarrassed if they go too wide and over the line, but it's worse when they don't, thunder past at close range and give you a big air or water buffet depending on the weather. And I don't find cycle routes that often, and many are poorly implemented. Like, there's a cut-through outside my house for about 100m to a larger road, and that's a cycle path with barriers and all to force you to dismount and get back on, but there's no cycle path on either road at each end, so... what's the point of having the route? We could do a lot more.

Offences I commit are probably limited to speeding down a pavement if it's empty, especially those along long straight busy roads. I never run a red light though, I just go wait at the side of the kerb next to the cars. Or dismount, walk past and get back on.

I do love cycling though, it's a fun way to travel and get exercise, and I feel really good coming in after a long cycle.

+Quote Post
Riser
post Jan 29 2018, 05:01 AM
Post #14
King of nothing at all
Member No.: 19,534

I have a bike that I use strictly for recreation, not for transportation. Some people do use bikes on the roads here, but it doesn't seem particularly safe this far from the city. I don't mind sharing the road with bikes when I'm driving, but will never do so on my own bike because it's just too dangerous. Luckily there are quite a few bike trails nearby, I just have to drive to get to them laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Doctor Blind
post Jan 29 2018, 09:43 PM
Post #15
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
Member No.: 7,561
   No Gallery Pics

I am a cyclist so CAREFUL what you say here folks! tongue.gif I don't own a car so it is my only method of transportation, a bit like Jessica Fletcher in Murder, She Wrote except there aren't tens of people dying around me in increasingly implausible ways (that I know of).

I would say that I rarely ever see a fellow cyclist deliberately going through a red light, I have done it myself (very rarely) but only when its like 1 am and I'm waiting around at a junction where there is no other traffic at all and it seems a bit pointless waiting for 2 minutes for nothing to happen. I wouldn't let a small pretty stupid minority colour your judgement of all cyclists especially when I don't let the odd idiot who overtakes with millimetres of clearance, or overtakes and then turns left right in front of me forcing me to stop colour my judgement of all motorists. Most are very courteous, give plenty of space and in France a lorry even stopped to let me and my friend join.

We should be encouraging MORE cycling in this country not detracting people from doing it, too many people spend all day in sedentary jobs, sit down in their car driving home and then slob out on the sofa or in front of the computer. If more of us were up and about exercising every day there would be fewer health problems in the nation and consequently less stress on the NHS. Unfortunately many are put off because of the dangerous roads, I think there is so much more we could be doing - and not only would the nation be healthier but there'd be savings to be had from less fuel being bought (therefore more disposable income for the economy) and cleaner air in towns and villages with fewer vehicles on the roads.

+Quote Post
Mack.
post Jan 29 2018, 11:07 PM
Post #16
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 12,915
   No Gallery Pics

Annoying when they ride on the pavement as you'll walking.

+Quote Post
Colm
post Jan 30 2018, 10:35 AM
Post #17
Yes, it's me.
Member No.: 9,885

I am a cyclist and I cycle most days to get around the city. I have to admit that the a lot of cyclists go through a red light here in Dublin. They somehow must think that they are invincible. Idiots.

Do any of you not wear a helmet?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th February 2018 - 08:48 AM