BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Stargazing, 🌜🌕⭐️🌓✨🌚💫
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
⚅⚄⚃⚂⚁⚀
post Feb 1 2018, 01:28 AM
Post #1
The Navigator
Group: Members
Member No.: 21,587
   No Gallery Pics

Any stargazers here that have an interest in astronomy?

Tonight there is a celestial phenomenon happening all over the Earth depending on where you are watching from.

Please share any pictures you may have been able to take!

I took this of the blue moon around 1am today from Bristol, England;

This post has been edited by awardinary: Feb 1 2018, 01:36 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jade
post Feb 1 2018, 01:36 AM
Post #2
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 12,810

Ooh yes I was watching the news earlier and saw about this. That's a beautiful picture Wardy!

I wouldn't say that I'm a major astronomy enthusiast, unlike my dad who gets obsessed about these kind of things, but I can definitely appreciate what is up in the sky. On the specific subject of the moon, I think it doesn't really help that pitch black darkness makes me feel a bit anxious at times so I am not really outside at night enough, but looking up to see a full moon beaming when those occasions do happen makes me smile. I do enjoy learning more about what is out there anyway and looking at other people's photos as well. I used to be a bit of a planet nerd when I was younger and went to a space museum twice (and was particularly into Jupiter laugh.gif) but my interests shifted a bit and I became less of a Sciencey person. It is still fascinating nevertheless but I don't quite have the same passion as I did back in the day.

+Quote Post
Q.
post Feb 1 2018, 07:46 AM
Post #3
always Qs in BJSC :)
Member No.: 7,132
   No Gallery Pics

It's something I have a mild interest in. I did have to look up for ages last night what exactly a "super blue blood Moon" is that we've been having for the past like couple days lol. It's beautiful anyway, I didn't know it was happening until I clicked on this thread when it was first created. I went outside just now to have another look and to try capture it, but it's difficult for me to get good shots of the Moon, it looks more like a light bulb in the photos or something haha.

I do love the Moon in general (#justiceformoonland wink.gif) and especially enjoy when it catches me off guard with how big or gorgeous it is sometimes. Astronomy is fascinating, just to even be aware of the fact that we're all sort of "floating" on this enormous object with other objects in the same vein "floating" around us (I know it's not technically floating). Kinda puts some things into perspective, if only for a bit.

+Quote Post
The Snake 🐍
post Feb 1 2018, 03:21 PM
Post #4
Don't mess it up, talking that hiss
Member No.: 23,308
   No Gallery Pics

I do have an interest in it. I have a telescope but because the levers aren't working properly on it any more I haven't been out stargazing in a while sad.gif

Used to be out loads stargazing when I was younger. Saturn is the best thing to view through a telescope imo!

This post has been edited by The Snake : Feb 1 2018, 03:21 PM

+Quote Post
Iz
post Feb 1 2018, 07:10 PM
Post #5
l'etat, c'est moi
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 12,929

It is my dream, that is at odds with being where things are happening, to live in a place where there are no outside lights and full celestial beauty shines down upon us and I can see the Milky Way, pick out constellations from Orion, Pegasus, Ursa Major & Minor, Canis Major (don't you dare tell me what those mean in Latin Snake, I KNOW). All of the celestial bodies are incredible to look out for, especially when the planets are around - Venus on an evening landscape as the sun has just set is beautiful and Mars/Jupiter/Saturn are fun to spot in the night sky when they're around.

Didn't know about this moon thing but I do remember a couple of years ago staying up all night for the blood moon - this was when I was living on campus and had other astronomy freaks also doing the same.

+Quote Post
The Snake 🐍
post Feb 1 2018, 09:52 PM
Post #6
Don't mess it up, talking that hiss
Member No.: 23,308
   No Gallery Pics

What about Canis Minor, that's just basically Procyon a very bright star and another fainter star and that's it really laugh.gif You would wonder why ancient people bothered making a separate constellation for it, rather than attaching it to other ones, and called it Canis Minor it doesn't look like a dog, just a line between two stars!

Orion is the best constellation I think. I have a soft spot for Hydra though the huge one made up of very faint stars which is hard to trace in the sky.

My favourite star I think is Capella, its always there really from UK latitude and is near enough overhead in winter from the UK. It has a nice yellowish colour too when viewed through a telescope.

This post has been edited by The Snake : Feb 1 2018, 09:55 PM

+Quote Post
Doctor Blind
post Feb 8 2018, 06:41 PM
Post #7
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
Member No.: 7,561
   No Gallery Pics

There is nothing like a full moon on a snowy landscape at night, it is incredible how much brighter things are - I could easily cycle without my bike lights when it is like that because everything is just so bright.

I love looking up at the stars at night, and despite only being semi-urban I do see quite a lot of shooting stars. Though I'd really like to go to the southern hemisphere and observe the night sky there peering deep into the centre of the Milky Way! Blood moons are great, the last one we had here was October 2015 I think - I was working nights so saw it in all its glory and yeah you can see how it freaked people out in the past. I also really enjoy observing noctilucent clouds (usually only observable around 2am around mid-summer's day) - that always takes my breath away.

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Feb 14 2018, 12:35 PM
Post #8
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 17,376
   No Gallery Pics

adore astronomy - got my Brian Cox ticket - and have done evening courses, owned a telescope, record any Horizon Universe-related series.

Saw the last UK eclipse, all the sheep in the field I was in started making sunset noises. Been out on freezingwinter nights to gaze at the moons of Jupiter and rings of saturn. I dared my astronomy mate to ask Patrick Moore, at one of his talks, whether we had any chance of seeing Uranus. Not taken up, fortunately.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2018 - 09:31 AM