BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Best and Worst year of your life so far!
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Maz!
post Feb 3 2018, 05:17 PM
Post #1
BuzzJack Gold Member
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 20,217
   No Gallery Pics

I had a think this afternoon, after the Spice Girls reunion that 2018 might become one of the best years of my life so far ( lets see this turn out in one of the worst lol)
and as a joke i once made a ranking of all the years in my life so far when i turned 30 last year.
Jay saved it and it pops up whenever we talk about certain years.
So what are your worst and best year of your life so far
let me start:

Worst: 2005
2005 was defenitly the worst year ever for me.
My uncle died at the young age of 40, i was really close to him except the last few years of his life when he turned into a alcoholic.
Then in summer my mum found a lump on her breast which turned out it was breastcancer. She had to undergo a breast removal operation and then another one cause the cancer wasnt gone. We were so scared she didnt survive but a scan in november revealed she was finally clean. She still had to do chemo till march 2006.

Best:
With 2005 being the worst its weird to say 2006 was really the best.
That year i finally came out my shelve thanks to new people i met at college. Went out a lot and had the best summer ever with the best friends ever.
and i had things to celebrate like my mum being better, getting my driver license and getting good grades.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
T Boy
post Feb 3 2018, 05:20 PM
Post #2
Radical Pink Troll
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

It’s hard to pick a best, 1998, 2001, 2006, 2008, 2011 are all pretty stand out to me.

Worst is also difficult. 2009 was quite bad for me as I was bullied for the majority of that year. I also had a hellish first 7 months of 2012 and some dark moments in 2017.

+Quote Post
JosephAvery
post Feb 3 2018, 06:11 PM
Post #3
it don't mean shit if you ain't happy though
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 13,530

I find it difficult to think of the best and worst years of my life, because each year has its ups and downs really and they've all ended up fine in the end. 2017 for example was a pretty good mix of the two really - the first half of the year I was unemployed and running low on money, but on the bright side, I managed to have some "me time", which was honestly so important for a number of reasons.

2014 was pretty good all-round, only let down by the fact A levels were in full swing at that point. And I have good memories of most of my childhood years!

+Quote Post
BillyH
post Feb 3 2018, 06:54 PM
Post #4
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Group: Members
Member No.: 6,614
   No Gallery Pics

Worst - 1994 and 2005. In 1994 three members of my family died in the space of seven months (my grandad, grandma and great-grandma) which kinda devastated both sides of my family for years. I was five/six at the time, couldn't understand why everyone I knew was suddenly dying and developed a bit of a fear of death for a while!
2005 was the peak of a huge amount of depression I had throughout my mid-teens, especially end of that year/beginning of the next. Everything slowly got better from around the time I turned 18 the following year, leading to...

Best - 2009 followed by 2011. Utterly blissful. Early twenties, partying every weekend, friends you think will last forever. Pretty much every year from 2007 to about 2012 (age 18 to 24) make up my best, since then I've had all sorts of ups and downs and no year's ever quite matched my late teens/early twenties golden age...hopefully my imminent thirties will be better!

+Quote Post
Chez Wombat
post Feb 3 2018, 07:11 PM
Post #5
The owls are not what they seem
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

Best I think is either 2009 or 2012, the former was my last year of school where I got good GCSEs, had a good social circle and had a wonderful trip to America (back when it was an attractive prospect to visit) and had general good times with friends and family, likewise with 2012 really, first full year of uni, making new friends, a once in a lifetime opportunity working at the Olympics in my hometown and even a trip to New York, though it wasn't the best timing cos of the hurricane oops~

Worst probably 2005 or 2006 in real life terms, I was bullied at school and rlly hadn't formed a solid friendship group so that pretty much clouded the whole year, even though I did have some memorable and good times in both (the latter in particular was when I first started my ten year obsession with the charts!)

+Quote Post
Jade
post Feb 3 2018, 09:35 PM
Post #6
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Member No.: 12,810

As Joseph said, years often have both good and bad moments so no particular year stands out as being all bad. I guess the worst thing that has happened to me is my great grandma dying, so I would be inclined to say 2015. I also had a bit of a breakdown during the time of my A2 exams and wasn't able to sleep for a few days in a row which affected my exam performance. As a result I wasn't that happy with my A2 results (after being happy with my GCSE and AS results) despite still getting into University. But otherwise plenty of good happened that year. I had some pretty rough patches in secondary school too but can't exactly pinpoint the timeframes.

2008, 2014 and 2016 stand out as particularly good years! The former was my final year of primary school so lots of exciting things happened that year, like a residential trip and a leavers' assembly that were both so much fun. So yeah, lots of good memories associated with year 6 and I was really getting into music more than ever at the time. 2014 was full of quite a few things that helped me develop as a person and come out of my shell more. I took part in the National Citizen Service programme, volunteered in a charity shop for 8 months and then got my first paid job at HMV all in the space of that year. Plus I started a blog in the summer which got a great response from people who found it and I kept that up until early 2015, when I was locked out of my account laugh.gif I also had a really solid friendship group on top of this in sixth form. Then 2016 for the obvious reason of my first ever long-term relationship which made me extremely happy. Also I had a great holiday in Portugal (only non-Spain place I have been to on holiday laugh.gif) and it was a good period of University - the remainder of first year which was still easy enough, then the first few months of second year which involved my first big magazine project. I enjoyed putting that together a lot.

+Quote Post
Cqmerqn
post Feb 3 2018, 10:14 PM
Post #7
Fuego!
Member No.: 23,155
   No Gallery Pics

Best: 2017

Worst: 2017

Bit of both laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Jüpiter
post Feb 3 2018, 10:16 PM
Post #8
you only love me on the internet
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 22,895
   No Gallery Pics

2014 to 15 was a good year. Real good support network around me and I was the most mentally healthy I'd been for about a decade. Worst year...possibly 2015-16, everything that could possibly go wrong went wrong hah, lost all my friends, my job, my house, and on top of it got very sick and didn't recover for six months. But there were some years when I was in school that were worse, I think. (Depressing as that sounds!) At least in 2015-16 I was an adult and could move past it and deal with it instead of being stuck forced to deal with the same people and not able to remove myself from the situation as is the case when you're in school.

This post has been edited by Jüpiter: Feb 3 2018, 10:17 PM

+Quote Post
sergejdordij98
post Feb 3 2018, 11:38 PM
Post #9
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 39,723
   No Gallery Pics

Best: 2012
Worst: 2017

+Quote Post
lewistgreen
post Feb 3 2018, 11:42 PM
Post #10
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 19,585

2011 is an amazing year for me, got into uni and just school, work, friends and stuff was going really well.

2017 was a shit year tbh. Losing my best friend was absolutely horrible and I found myself in a nightmare at work which I just needed to get out of.

+Quote Post
Cucumberella
post Feb 3 2018, 11:49 PM
Post #11
controlo qualquer um com a minha bruxaria
Member No.: 9,403

2017 was by far and away the worst year and one that i'm still not out of sad.gif

best year? god we're probably gonna have to talk about me being 16-18 i think? been a while since i had a proper good GOOD year (even those years were really rough).

+Quote Post
Lindsey 🙃
post Feb 4 2018, 01:49 AM
Post #12
low-key, no pressure, just hang with me and my weather
Member No.: 21,176
   No Gallery Pics

I've had a mix of ups and downs like most people so I'm not sure tbh, I'm trying to think of specific things that happened. I don't feel like I can even say 2006 because my gran died then and that's something that's really hit me hard, even now when we're 11 years gone but she passed in the December and i was young at the time so was kept in the dark when she got properly ill so I don't really remember much from before it. High School was literally all bad for me, particularly S3/S4 and that would have been in like 2011/2012 and would be more of a general thing I guess which is literally the case for every year. I don't know that I've ever had a year where I've been like yep it's been a good one, i can't even think of a stand out one?? 2014 maybe as that was a real turning point for me in leaving school and going to uni and becoming totally independent by moving away and living myself. I guess 2015 was generally good too as that's when things started to fall into place with uni and making new friends, getting my job etc but I remember the summer of that year being particularly rough just with personal stuff and working things out etc. 2016 just feels like such a mess of a year on all fronts lmaoo. I'm inclined to peg 2017 as the worst year just because I struggled with literally everything, like i don't think I dealt with anything well and i don't even know that I was a functioning person by the time December came. It was an awful year mentally and emotionally basically and i don't think I've ever felt as awful as I did, even through high school when I probably had more reason to reach that point but that's the thing, there's not always a reason or explanation for these things.

I am uncharacteristically optimistic that 2018 will be a good year for me. I'm in a much better mindset now after having some time away from work and uni to kinda regather and pick myself back up again I think. It might sound dumb but going out on hogmanay with two of my favourite people was honestly the perfect way to start the year and I'm so grateful that Lew and Harvey were there and that night could happen and then seeing Paramore towards the end of January too was so so essential in getting me to think the way I am now. Over the past few months I've really realised the value of solid friendships and what that means so this year I'm really taking advantage of the amazing people I have in my life that I can lean on and visa versa. Both of my best friends are currently going through hard times so I'm having to be there for both of them and i think by feeling as though they need me more than usual, it has kinda given me a kick up the arse in that it's not just myself I'm letting down now if I let things get as bad as they did at the end of last year now, like i can't afford to break down again when some of the people I love are in pieces themselves??? Sorry that took a much deeper turn than I thought, i was trying not to be so reflective kink.gif Anyway this year has the potential to be a good one, i finish uni and hopefully will graduate with a good degree and our end of year show is shaping up to be a good one, my dissertation is already out of the way and I'm feeling good about it and I should be getting to move back to Glasgow over the summer, ideally with a job in my field. If all that can happen, and i can move back out into my own flat but in Glasgow again, maybe do a bit of travelling then I'll be so so happy.

+Quote Post
troublepink
post Feb 4 2018, 11:59 AM
Post #13
Beautiful Trauma
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 590

Worst: 2004, I was at college and had no friends, I had recently left school in summer 2003 and left all my school friends behind and for the first time was well and truly on my own. I was in college classes with only girls (child care course, even though I had no interest in working with children!) and there was so much bitching and bullying it made me sick. I skipped a lot of classes that year. In a way it taught me that its ok to be on my own. 2004 was also the year my Grandad died and that hit me hard, he was the first person I was really close with who had died.
2017 was also a crappy year for me. Family members having multiple health scares and feeling like there was nothing I could do to help.

Best: 2009, I saw Pink live 10 times and met her in May. It was also the year I moved out of my parents house. I moved to a new house, new town and new job which was super scary but so glad I did it.
2018, I know we're only just over a month into 2018, but so far its looking up. Fingers crossed it continues to go in that direction laugh.gif

+Quote Post
PeteFromLeeds
post Feb 4 2018, 12:53 PM
Post #14
Oh I may not be the best, but I'm far from the worst
Member No.: 23,247
   No Gallery Pics

The worst was most definitely 2013. It was the first time I actually noticed I wasn't 'normal' and I was in a form at the time that deliberately annoyed me and also caused teachers to shout a lot, and I really react emotionally to shouting. There was a point where I resorted to hitting myself to try and get people to take me seriously. Fortunately by the end of that year I wasn't in any classes with them and it also gave me the motivation to make an effort to 'fit in' and actually have some more social interactions.

Every year bar that has had its ups and downs so I couldn't really pick a 'best' year. I always feel nostalgic about the past but then I realise how strange I was as a child, whereas now (and for the past 4/5 years) I actually feel like I fit in, even if I don't input as much into conversations as everyone else. If I had to pick a year I would probably go with 2011 - the last year in primary school where I had a good few friends I could spend time with, there wasn't really anyone I disliked and I was in a place where people actually looked after me, in stark contrast to where I was going for the next 5 years tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Riser
post Feb 5 2018, 07:00 AM
Post #15
My roof look like a no show
Member No.: 19,534

Best year, I'll say 2008, it was my last full year of high school and I had good grades, solid friendships and was involved in so many things. It was my final season of marching band and cross-country which were both major highlights. Plus 2008 was my first year of following the charts which was a really huge breakthrough for me. I discovered so many songs that are now all-time faves! I could also say 2004 as my last year of middle school when I was randomly popular for a year, but I was all over the place emotionally whereas in 2008 I was totally myself and didn't care what people thought of me.

I can't pick one calendar year as being the worst, 2011 and 2012 both had miserable spring semesters but were both followed by much more enjoyable fall semesters. I'd say the worst "year" was mid-2015 to mid-2016, when most of my closest friends moved away and my sense of loneliness really set in and was difficult to escape. 2015 was probably worse since my brother was in the hospital for a month and many times even Buzzjack wasn't a positive escape for me for various reasons. I had some amazing vacations and concerts though so it wasn't all bad!

QUOTE(Chez Wombat @ Feb 3 2018, 02:11 PM) *
Best I think is either 2009 or 2012, the former was my last year of school where I got good GCSEs, had a good social circle and had a wonderful trip to America (back when it was an attractive prospect to visit) and had general good times with friends and family, likewise with 2012 really, first full year of uni, making new friends, a once in a lifetime opportunity working at the Olympics in my hometown and even a trip to New York, though it wasn't the best timing cos of the hurricane oops~
This stuck out to me for some reason. I mean, I get people's concerns by all means but is it really that much less attractive to travel here now? (Not looking to debate really, just surprised tongue.gif)

+Quote Post
will-i-ever
post Feb 6 2018, 07:32 PM
Post #16
New Entry
Member No.: 55,348
   No Gallery Pics

Hard to pick certain years. Maybe 2014 was cool because I had a first trip abroad with friends and it's really memorable. Every year has lots of ups and downs. The last month of 2017 really sucked generally, with so many changes and difficult talks and dim perspectives. It's just the way it changes like the shoreline and the sea smile.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th May 2018 - 02:00 PM