BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> SPOILERS, no spoilers please
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
JosephAvery
post Feb 3 2018, 06:07 PM
Post #1
it don't mean shit if you ain't happy though
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 13,530

SPOILERS. The most annoying thing ever, right? When someone spoils a big plot event from a yet-to-be-aired episode of your favourite show. Nothing worse. What are your views on people who spoil? What do you consider a "spoiler" in the first place - anything that hasn't featured in an episode yet, or do you make exceptions for trailers or news announcements? Do you even give a damn about spoilers?

For me, my level of annoyance depends on which show it is. I'm a bit more relaxed when it comes to EastEnders for example, where I'll happily check the announcements of who's leaving or returning, but I don't seek out storyline spoilers even if it's hard to ignore on social media at times. However, I've been spoiled on Doctor Who before, ie. my all-time favourite show. The show's sixth series was building up to the reveal of River Song (who, coincidentally, is in the GIF above)'s identity. Months before, it was spoilt for me, and I was furious. Completely ruined any excitement of the build-up and the actual reveal was therefore less impactful. I've only just about forgiven Calum now sleep.gif kink.gif In more recent times, if I've not been able to watch Doctor Who live, I will stay off social media because I don't want the impact of the episodes to be ruined!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jack
post Feb 3 2018, 06:10 PM
Post #2
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 223

I don't mind them too much in Big Brother or Drag Race, I can still easily enjoy both of them. I suppose it depends on the show, if it was a Netflix show like 13 Reasons Why or OITNB I would be much more mad I think.

+Quote Post
T Boy
post Feb 3 2018, 06:12 PM
Post #3
Radical Pink Troll
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

Like you, I don’t mind some. Eastenders and Neighbours are ok by me, sometimes you just need something to look forward to. Doctor Who and Star Wars spoilers I will avoid like the plague. Same used to be true of the Harry Potter books.

+Quote Post
Jade
post Feb 3 2018, 09:23 PM
Post #4
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Member No.: 12,810

I am such an impatient person so I am one to read spoilers for shows laugh.gif I don't really watch that much TV these days but I still keep up with spoilers for shows like EastEnders on here for example just to see what is going on. When I was really into Glee I would always keep up with spoilers as well (particularly for songs) as I was often very impatient for episodes, because the US pace was taking forever with the constant breaks. I guess it ruins the suspense but I just can't help it. There is no way I would ever spoil anything for anybody else though because I totally get that a lot of people don't like it.

+Quote Post
BridgeCow
post Feb 3 2018, 09:35 PM
Post #5
BuzzJack Gold Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 23,860
   No Gallery Pics

I try to avidly avoid spoilers for everything, but I have 0 self control so like 80% of TV shows I watch I end up reading the spoilers lmao, and everytime I regret it but I can't control myself

+Quote Post
Jüpiter
post Feb 3 2018, 10:22 PM
Post #6
you only love me on the internet
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 22,895
   No Gallery Pics

I get annoyed when I come across a spoiler. I came across two major spoilers for Buffy when reading completely unrelated articles that randomly touched on things that happen in Buffy as examples, and I'd only very recently started watching the show so it was annoying to have some big reveals and twists lose their impact.

+Quote Post
Iz
post Feb 3 2018, 10:43 PM
Post #7
l'etat, c'est moi
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 12,929

I certainly don't like coming across spoilers but I've become rather good at avoiding them now, I know not what to look at when I do research a show I'm interested in and mostly I'm not researching it at all if I'm afraid of spoilers. Like currently, even though they're all years old, I would be quite upset if I found clear spoilers for Higurashi (a thriller mystery, which kind of relies on not knowing what's happening - when I was talking with Dirca about it yesterday/today we kept everything kind of general), but less so for Code Geass and Fullmetal Alchemist, which, although their spoilers aren't things I want to find, I'd probably enjoy the shows even if I did find them because they're action series. See, if your enjoyment focuses around not knowing what's coming, mystery or such, then it's imperative to keep it hidden, but otherwise, it's mostly okay if not ideal when you find them. Except for character deaths.

Depends on the type of spoiler as well, minor things, i.e. not character deaths, generally aren't bad, especially if you'll forget it before you next watch that show but the big twist that changes the show completely must be hidden yet sadly, that's what tends to get most talked about.

If I'm not interested in a show and know I'll never be (soaps, reality, shows universally derided as 'bad'), I'll read spoilers if I think to. But basically, one too many times reading TVTropes or something of the sort, reading all the character pages and finding one too many spoilers finally turned me off that sort of practice.

+Quote Post
DalekTurret32
post Feb 3 2018, 11:29 PM
Post #8
My shoulder holds the weight of the world
Group: Members
Member No.: 21,666
   No Gallery Pics

Ah, spoilers! They can be annoying.
Someone spams a spoiler in a comment section of something like YouTube, reddit or even in this forum, like "John McClusky dies on the last episode of Season 4" (I made that name up, BTW). He/she copy and pastes it multiple times and you think the spammer is trolling other people, so you think it's fake. But when you see the episode for yourself, and McClusky dies for real, you are bummed to find out that you saw it coming thanks to that spoiler.

+Quote Post
Cody💧Slayberry
post Feb 4 2018, 12:02 AM
Post #9
check your thighs in the mirror... and i'm done
Member No.: 21,308
   No Gallery Pics

throwback to when half the Teen Wolf fandom (myself included) predicted Allison's death and when that time came it felt a bit too "I knew it" even though I shed a few tears

+Quote Post
JosephAvery
post Feb 4 2018, 12:06 AM
Post #10
it don't mean shit if you ain't happy though
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 13,530

QUOTE(CodyOfTheWoods @ Feb 4 2018, 12:02 AM) *
throwback to when half the Teen Wolf fandom (myself included) predicted Allison's death and when that time came it felt a bit too "I knew it" even though I shed a few tears

Benefits of watching several years later with absolutely no fandom connections or prior knowledge kink.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th May 2018 - 01:59 PM