BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Waking Up 💤💤💤, Not in Vegas (unless youíre from Vegas)
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
awardinary
post Feb 12 2018, 07:47 AM
Post #1
The Navigator
Group: Members
Member No.: 21,587
   No Gallery Pics

So itís Monday morning, itís not even 8am yet, but here I go typing up a new and perhaps pointless thread.

Despite this start, Iím really not a morning person, and given any opportunity I would sleep to my hearts content for an unlimited duration.

So what helps you to wake up and start your day?

Is it as simple as obeying a preset alarm that forces you awake, or maybe you use one of those sensitive alarms that is designed to wake you up gradually.

Perhaps you rely on someone else to wake you up each day, your parent or your partner perhaps.

Or perhaps itís just the thought of a certain activity you are anticipating that day that motivates you to get up.

Whatever it is, does it work and is there a better way of waking yourself up each day?

In the meantime, Iím going to go back to sleep for a bit while you figure it out. zzz.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
BridgeCow
post Feb 12 2018, 08:11 AM
Post #2
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 23,860
   No Gallery Pics

I always leave my phone on the other side of the room so I have to physically get up out of bed to run my alarm off and it sort of works but a lot of the time Iím so annoyed about having to jump out of bed to turn it off that I like have a strop with myself so I get back into bed anyway. Iím completely not a morning person at all.

+Quote Post
lotita.
post Feb 12 2018, 08:42 AM
Post #3
feminist icon
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 21,777

I usually set my alarm for about half 8 but even when I donít and leave it off to let myself lie in my body wakes me up then anyway sad.gif I have to wait up at 5:30am every Saturday for work so I try to not lie in too often so I donít find it as difficult to wake up so early then

+Quote Post
Brť
post Feb 12 2018, 10:01 AM
Post #4
Mr Jade Lauren Williams <333
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 8,300

Alarms are the bane of my existence as I have a habit of occasionally just completely sleeping through them (I guess I must instinctively turn them off without waking up) which kinda stresses me out whenever it's super important that I be up by a certain time (like for exams etc.) especially when I haven't had that much sleep in the previous couple of nights which is basically a lot of the time oops #insomnia Thankfully I never have slept through such an important alarm but I've missed school lessons / uni lectures to it many many times.

I'm doing well this semester so far though! I woke up well before my alarm naturally today, giving one of the best feelings of knowing I can just continue to lie down and do nothing for a little while before I need to get up *.* lol x

I have tried the 'put phone on the other end of the room' technique as well and it kinda worked to some extent but it didn't really make getting up any less painful lol

+Quote Post
T Boy
post Feb 12 2018, 10:11 AM
Post #5
Radical Pink Troll
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

I set an alarm for 6 on a work day so that I can get swimming by 6:30. Usually set it for 7 or 8 at the weekend but stay in bed a while. I donít set it at all if Iíve been out the night before.

I usually wake up naturally before my alarms though.

+Quote Post
Jade
post Feb 12 2018, 11:24 AM
Post #6
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Member No.: 12,810

I am not a morning person in the slightest and heavily rely on my alarm to wake up! But it is rare that I will ever sleep through an alarm so it works for me. I usually have my phone placed right next to me on my bedside table. The 6:30am alarm every Tuesday for my longest Uni day is soul crushing but I'm always prompt at getting up after it goes off due to the urgency of needing to be somewhere. It is a little harder for me to wake up on days when I don't have Uni however. I usually aim to be up at a sensible time so I can get work done, but I'm definitely partial to the snooze button sometimes and just think "I don't have to be out of the house and I still have plenty of hours left in the day, I'll get up in a minute" and that turns into half an hour or so kink.gif

Today has been a good start to the week! My course does not have any Monday lectures, instead today is for independent study and I woke up at 10am to start work. I managed to get out of bed straight away which is an achievement in itself. Maybe it's the motivation of an important deadline looming laugh.gif

+Quote Post
danG
post Feb 12 2018, 11:31 AM
Post #7
◢ ◤
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

I'm awful at getting up and ready when I don't have somewhere to be, I could quite easily still be in my pyjamas at midday if you let me.

at the moment I've got alarms set for every day at 6.30, 7.30 or 8.30 depending on the day. and I do use the snooze button too.

+Quote Post
JosephAvery
post Feb 12 2018, 11:35 AM
Post #8
no reason to stay is a good reason to go
Member No.: 13,530

I rely on my parents to wake me up for work, mainly because I trust them more than my alarm which I've not even realised has gone off before :') I really am not a morning person either, I'm alright until I leave the house but those ~40 mins I have at home getting ready are the worst part of my day. I'd rather be in bed, there's not enough time to have a slow, relaxing start to the day either so it's all go drama.gif

I have about 10 mins max downstairs eating breakfast, I tend to put Radio 1 on for this time (says it all about the alternatives when I'll willingly put Nick Grimshaw on kink.gif), then I'll walk to school with my earphones in and I actually rather enjoy that time to myself.

Obviously all of this changes on a non-school day and I rather love mornings if I can wake up slowly and at my own pace, much like today laugh.gif There really is nothing as brilliant as waking up and knowing you don't have to move from your bed yet heart.gif

+Quote Post
awardinary
post Feb 12 2018, 12:15 PM
Post #9
The Navigator
   No Gallery Pics

All these non-morning people on Buzzjack! laugh.gif Glad Iím not the only one.

I was on a break this morning and decided to do some further research on this subject and found this interesting article;

https://www.dovemed.com/healthy-living/well...y-wake-morning/

One of the most significant factors for waking up easily has to do with your circadian rhythm. According to the National Sleep Foundation, our circadian rhythm, which is our biological clock, controls the timing of periods of wakefulness and sleepiness during the day. This rhythm has peaks and dips throughout the day, with the strongest sleep drive occurring around 2 to 4 am and 1 to 3 pm. These sensations of sleepiness will be less extreme if you have had adequate sleep.

Even if you maintain the right amount of sleep each night, your morning habits might be putting a dampener on your wakefulness. It is vital to have a natural, stress-free morning ritual in place, allowing for your day to start-off positively as you wake up in the morning. There are a few steps you can take to ensure that you wake up in the healthiest possible manner.

One of the most significant factors for waking up easily has to do with your circadian rhythm. According to the National Sleep Foundation, our circadian rhythm, which is our biological clock, controls the timing of periods of wakefulness and sleepiness during the day. This rhythm has peaks and dips throughout the day, with the strongest sleep drive occurring around 2 to 4 am and 1 to 3 pm. These sensations of sleepiness will be less extreme if you have had adequate sleep.

It is important to plan your motivation for waking-up at a certain time the day and evening before. Having a set reason for waking up in the morning will help drive your mind out of bed, whether it is to have the extra time to exercise or eat a healthy breakfast.

Exposure to bright light immediately upon waking up can help set your biological clock to be in acceptance of your wake up time and regulate your hormone levels for proper attentiveness. A study conducted at the University of Chicago in 2000 found that exposure to early morning bright light resulted in instantaneous inhibition of melatonin secretion. According to the National Sleep Foundation, melatonin is a natural hormone associated with the onset of sleep. The same study also observed a robust release of the hormone cortisol in response to bright light when waking up early in the morning, promoting alertness. The regulation of these hormones with early morning bright light is a natural, healthy way to get your body prepared for the day ahead.

A study completed in 2004 at the University of Luebeck in Germany found that cortisol secretion, after awakening, was substantially decreased in patients with insomnia. A decreased level of cortisol secretion in the morning will affect overall alertness throughout the day, disturbing your sleep-wake cycle and causing you to wake up tired. It is recommended that you talk to a healthcare professional if you feel you are experiencing insomnia symptoms such as frequent awakenings throughout the night, feeling of weakened sleep quality, or decreased feeling of recovery after sleeping.

Waking up to a piercing loud alarm clock causes stress on the body. Waking up naturally is the healthiest way to rise in the morning. This is an indicator that your body has had sufficient rest. Since this method can be very difficult, it is suggested to have someone gently wake you up, or rather use an alarm clock with soft, relaxing tones for a less abrupt awakening. If possible, you should remain in bed for about a half an hour upon awakening. Listening to soft music or reading will gently awaken your body and allow for proper focus.

Without fluid intake throughout the night, your body will not function at its full potential in the morning without water. It is vital to hydrate your body with water in the morning to increase peristaltic action in your colon. This will help make your body feel hydrated again and stimulate your digestive processes early in the day, preventing constipation.

If you feel that you are experiencing difficulty waking up in the morning and have tried these simple steps on how to wake up, it is important that you talk to a healthcare professional about your sleep habits. Your bodyís overall health is extremely dependent upon your sleep-wake cycle, as well as your sleep habits. Experiencing proper sleep and awakening naturally allows your body to maximize its energy and alertness throughout the day.

I might try some of these techniques myself! biggrin.gif

This post has been edited by awardinary: Feb 12 2018, 12:16 PM

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Feb 12 2018, 01:27 PM
Post #10
Honey I rose up from the dead I do it all the time
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 10,139

I never sleep through an alarm but I do set like 5 alarms if I need to be up because I'll end up just turning it off and sleeping again if I put just one on laugh.gif I do normally get woken up by my housemates because they don't know what an inside voice is but that'll be at like 8 and my earliest lecture is 12 this semester so I usually have an alarm for about 10.

+Quote Post
Jacob~
post Feb 12 2018, 02:21 PM
Post #11
Jacob Alan~
Member No.: 21,664
   No Gallery Pics

I can't do mornings. I'm an insomniac, I don't sleep properly through most of the night- my sleep schedule is shifted a full 4 of 5 hours later than it should be, at least. Not something I'm happy with, something I've been trying to fix for years but I can't- this thread motivated me to buy one of those light generating alarm clocks though, seeing if that makes a difference. I can get up for things I know I need to get up for, uni, work etc and I make myself get up when I hear the alarm but all it takes for me to not get up (and end up sleeping until 12 or later) is half a second's thought of "oh I don't need to be anywhere today" and I've turned it off. Interestingly enough, when I had to be up for work early a lot in the summer it was sort of fixed (ish) because I'd be so tired by the evening I had to fall asleep at a semi normal time.

Really hope this light generating alarm thing works, been thinking about getting it for ages and a light slowly increasing in brightness seems much nicer than the evil piercing alarm I've got right now.

+Quote Post
lotita.
post Feb 12 2018, 02:24 PM
Post #12
feminist icon
Member No.: 21,777

QUOTE(Jacob~ @ Feb 12 2018, 02:21 PM) *
I can't do mornings. I'm an insomniac, I don't sleep properly through most of the night- my sleep schedule is shifted a full 4 of 5 hours later than it should be, at least. Not something I'm happy with, something I've been trying to fix for years but I can't- this thread motivated me to buy one of those light generating alarm clocks though, seeing if that makes a difference. I can get up for things I know I need to get up for, uni, work etc and I make myself get up when I hear the alarm but all it takes for me to not get up (and end up sleeping until 12 or later) is half a second's thought of "oh I don't need to be anywhere today" and I've turned it off. Interestingly enough, when I had to be up for work early a lot in the summer it was sort of fixed (ish) because I'd be so tired by the evening I had to fall asleep at a semi normal time.

Really hope this light generating alarm thing works, been thinking about getting it for ages and a light slowly increasing in brightness seems much nicer than the evil piercing alarm I've got right now.

JL sell them, use your discount kink.gif

+Quote Post
Jacob~
post Feb 12 2018, 02:26 PM
Post #13
Jacob Alan~
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(lotita. @ Feb 12 2018, 02:24 PM) *
Omg didn't even think of this. They're mostly £50+ tho, already found an amazon one half the price. #traitor

They look fancier tbf.

+Quote Post
awardinary
post Feb 12 2018, 02:38 PM
Post #14
The Navigator
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Jacob~ @ Feb 12 2018, 02:21 PM) *
this thread motivated me to buy one of those light generating alarm clocks though, seeing if that makes a difference.
Glad I could have made a positive difference to your well-being Jacob. heart.gif

QUOTE(lotita. @ Feb 12 2018, 02:24 PM) *
What is JL? huh.gif

+Quote Post
Jacob~
post Feb 12 2018, 02:48 PM
Post #15
Jacob Alan~
   No Gallery Pics

^John Lewis. x (heart.gif)

+Quote Post
awardinary
post Feb 12 2018, 03:13 PM
Post #16
The Navigator
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Jacob~ @ Feb 12 2018, 02:48 PM) *
^John Lewis. x (heart.gif)

Oh I should have figured that out immediately but oh well. Do let us know how you get on with your purchase and if it made any difference. happy.gif

+Quote Post
troublepink
post Feb 12 2018, 03:40 PM
Post #17
Beautiful Trauma
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 590

My sleep pattern is a mess, so my getting up routine isn't too good and I find it so difficult to get out of bed on a work day, and not just because I dislike my job laugh.gif
As of this week I'm in a slightly different routine as well, as I am getting into bed later, so I'm trying to get up a bit later too. My partner used to pick me up from work but now I have to get the bus home so it takes a little longer to get home.

Monday to Wednesday I finish work between 6-6:30am and this morning I got in just after 7:30. I think I fell asleep about 8:30. I set three alarms at 2:45pm, 3:20pm and 4:30pm. I don't really have to get up, but I like to get myself into a routine otherwise all I would do during the week is sleep and work, but now I have a few hours to myself before I have to start thinking about getting ready. The hardest part is actually getting out of bed, but I don't help myself as I sleep with about 6 pillows, 4 blankets, kingsize duvet and two cats laugh.gif Today when I finished work I was sore (first night back after 19 days off) and could hardly move because of pain in my back, its a little better this afternoon, but I have woke up feel like I have a hangover, and have a massive headache, but I've made myself get up so that I can get back into routine. Once I'm up, I usually shower and have a red bull and then get on with my day. I don't usually have my 'breakfast' until about 5pm.

Thursday is my lazy day, because I don't have to work Thursday nights I try to wake up an hour or two earlier than I do Mon-Wed and then I spend time at my laptop or watch TV. Because I'm off work on Thursday night though, I tend to wake up super early on a Friday morning. I usually think that waking up at 4am is a good lie in for a Friday laugh.gif Then I'm wide awake, ready to start my day, but of course I can't do a lot because my partner is still asleep, so I usually get up and watch TV downstairs or read.

Saturdays I try to wake up between 9 and 10 so that I don't waste the day in bed. I don't usually have trouble getting up on Saturdays. Sunday is my first night back at work so I don't set any alarms and try to sleep in as much as I can.

I often have a red bull (or 2) especially on a work day and I'll usually lie in bed checking my phone for at least 20 minutes before I actually get out of bed. I think I can say that I am a morning person though, but I'm definitely not an afternoon person laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Maz!
post Feb 12 2018, 06:06 PM
Post #18
BuzzJack Gold Member
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 20,217
   No Gallery Pics

I'm quite the morning person, i usually wake up 15-30 minutes before my alarm and usually leave bed before my alarm. Usually on Saturday i'm always up between 8-8.30 cause i really love to have finished cleaning the house and doing the wash before midday.

+Quote Post
Seinfeld
post Feb 12 2018, 06:35 PM
Post #19
NO SOUP FOR YOU!!!
Member No.: 10,505
   No Gallery Pics

I have a mental alarm...

laugh.gif

+Quote Post
ubɹǝɯbƆ
post Feb 12 2018, 06:39 PM
Post #20
Buy YES on iTunes
Member No.: 23,155
   No Gallery Pics

I am awful in the mornings

I set 10 alarms as Iím worried that Iíll sleep through it. However, to date I have never slept through an alarm laugh.gif

I have to wake up at 7am in order to have enough time to get ready for work. I set an alarm at 6am so I know I have an extra hour to sleep laugh.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2018 - 09:20 AM