BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Lecturer strikes
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
lotita.
post Feb 12 2018, 04:09 PM
Post #1
feminist icon
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 21,777

Lecturers across the UK are planning to strike for 14 working days between Feb 22nd until March 16th. This is mainly due to changes in pensions but also in my Uni lecturers are striking concerning pay/redundancy issues as well

Are any of you going to be affected by this? Do you support this strike action?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
lotita.
post Feb 12 2018, 04:12 PM
Post #2
feminist icon

My schedule is most likely going to be heavily affected by this, I’ve had confirmation one of my faculties is striking and I strongly suspect politics will too 😂 that being said, I do support the strike action particularly in the case of my uni

+Quote Post
Shia LeMuffQueef
post Feb 12 2018, 04:14 PM
Post #3
Life is so much queefier than we allow ourselves to think x
Group: Members
Member No.: 18,639
   No Gallery Pics

They are right to strike, thanks to the Tories, but 14 days?!

+Quote Post
Jacob~
post Feb 12 2018, 04:15 PM
Post #4
Jacob Alan~
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 21,664
   No Gallery Pics

I don't have it as far as I'm aware, but it hardly seems fair considering students are paying £9250 a year just to be at university. I get why I suppose but are there any provisions for students at all?

+Quote Post
Bré
post Feb 12 2018, 04:22 PM
Post #5
Mr Jade Lauren Williams <333
Member No.: 8,300

I've had an email about this saying that we may have lectures cancelled but we probably won't be informed of any cancellations in advance drama.gif

On a personal level I'm not going to be happy if lectures are cancelled and that leads to material being skipped or not covered in sufficient depth (because I am shit at independent study x) but I don't have much of an informed opinion about the reasons behind it to say if I 'support' the strikes or not. #copout

+Quote Post
Josh!
post Feb 12 2018, 04:23 PM
Post #6
c:
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 20,692

We’re having this as far as I’m aware and I’m absolutely LIVING for it !! I kinda hate my course so yassss uni for giving me valid reasons to skip lectures *.*

+Quote Post
Shia LeMuffQueef
post Feb 12 2018, 04:24 PM
Post #7
Life is so much queefier than we allow ourselves to think x
Member No.: 18,639
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Bré @ Feb 12 2018, 04:22 PM) *
I've had an email about this saying that we may have lectures cancelled but we probably won't be informed of any cancellations in advance drama.gif

On a personal level I'm not going to be happy if lectures are cancelled and that leads to material being skipped or not covered in sufficient depth (because I am shit at independent study x) but I don't have much of an informed opinion about the reasons behind it to say if I 'support' the strikes or not. #copout

You should.

Tories are decimating higher education, well education in general, and conditions for lecturers are worse now than ever.

#madmaymadmaymadmayOUTOUTOUT

+Quote Post
danG
post Feb 12 2018, 04:35 PM
Post #8
Terry Wongan
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

I've had one lecturer say he may be but my uni are opposing the strike action so I don't know at the moment, my other lecturers have said nothing.

I'll be annoyed if they strike and there is no catch up considering as it is I only have 8 hours of lecture time a week anyway, not to mention that my future self is paying for this.

+Quote Post
T Boy
post Feb 12 2018, 04:38 PM
Post #9
Radical Pink Troll
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

Controversial-but I’m not big on striking. Those that get affected tend to be those who aren’t responsible for the issues. I have worked during at least 3 strikes simply because my students would be better off without having their education disrupted. Having said that, they were only single day strikes, 14 days seems excessive especially considering just how cushy a job being a lecturer appears to be.

+Quote Post
Cameron
post Feb 12 2018, 04:46 PM
Post #10
THE BLAZE *.*
Member No.: 18,061

I haven't heard anything regarding this. If my uni strikes it will be a catastrophe as my dissertation is due 4 weeks today! sad.gif

+Quote Post
Bré
post Feb 12 2018, 04:53 PM
Post #11

I've looked into this a bit more and I do understand and agree with universities taking some action here but I can't help but feel here that 14 days is really a bit too much. That's literally a quarter of the entire semester. What more will this accomplish than, say, a 5 day strike?

I'd be more enthusiastic to support strikes in other professions, I think it's important in general that workers have the right to take action like this but the impact strikes in areas like education and healthcare can have is a concern, like T Boy said it's affecting people who aren't responsible, almost seems like it's a bit counterproductive.

+Quote Post
lotita.
post Feb 12 2018, 04:56 PM
Post #12
feminist icon

i think they're proposing 14 days as a threat, it's going to take place over three weeks affecting 2 days in the first, 3 days in the second (to allow time for class rescheduling if lecturers want to) and then 5 consecutive days. i doubt they'll get to the 5 consecutive days without some sort of concessions as i'm sure this is going to be a HUGE interruption. i think there's going to be a lot of picketing happening on campus :')

+Quote Post
Bré
post Feb 12 2018, 04:59 PM
Post #13

Those first 2 days won't affect my timetable practically at all so if they can get those concessions quickly and restore the other lectures that'll be fine by me xx

(the email I got is basically encouraging students to skip any lectures that do take place and come join the pickets instead anyway mellow.gif)

+Quote Post
5 Silas Frøkner
post Feb 12 2018, 05:56 PM
Post #14
Surfing in paradise
Member No.: 3,474

I used to work in a university finance department so have a fairly decent understanding of the thing they’re striking about. Part of me is telling me I should be unsupportive because my pension isn’t USS and is on less generous terms than they’re proposing to move USS to. However it’s quite a big change to pensions and they are right to be angry and upset that this is happening. USS has been poorly managed for years and really should have been closed to new members and replaced quite some time ago. It’s one of the few final salary schemes still out there. I know a large number of people impacted by this change. It’s not just lecturers and professors on this scheme. Researchers, lab assistants, administrators, all the people that make a university run basically. At my old employer anyone on a band 6 and above was on this scheme. That covered a lot of non-teaching staff.

I support this strike and strike action in general. It’s a option no one takes lightly because of the disruption it causes. A lot of lecturers will have had some sleepless nights over this decision (remember any lecturer not in the union will probably still be working). Sometimes when all else fails strike is the only card you have left to play and they should absolutely be able to play it.

+Quote Post
Regina
post Feb 12 2018, 06:40 PM
Post #15
Raining Shitter
Member No.: 5,572

QUOTE(Cameron @ Feb 12 2018, 05:46 PM) *
I haven't heart anything regarding this. If my uni strikes it will be a catastrophe as my dissertation is due 4 weeks today! sad.gif

I feel your pain </3 last year they all striked right around the same time as our end of Degree show that was also our "final exam" type thing. So we had no guidance in college, no space to work in and at one point no exhibition (then ti became a tiny exhibiton then it went back to normal but so many of us had to change our pieces)

+Quote Post
Klaus
post Feb 12 2018, 06:41 PM
Post #16
wtf are perfect places
Member No.: 17,160
   No Gallery Pics

If I was still at uni, I would be fuming, especially if it was my final year. They’ve picked such a crucial time for students and so it’s disheartening that students are being penalised yet again. Even though it wouldn’t make a difference to paying it back, I would want some of my £9250 back.

+Quote Post
lotita.
post Feb 13 2018, 03:22 PM
Post #17
feminist icon

Week 1 – Thursday 22nd and Friday 23rd February
Week 2 – Monday 26th, Tuesday 27th and Wednesday 28th February
Week 3 – Monday 5th, Tuesday 6th, Wednesday 7th and Thursday 8th March
Week 4 – Monday 12th, Tuesday 13th, Wednesday 14th, Thursday 15th and Friday 16th March

i'm so intrigued to see how this plays out! i'm going to join the protest because as upset as I am that this is affecting my studies so much, I'm more pissed off at the proposed pension changes and also VCs accepting pay rises whilst lecturers are losing their jobs

+Quote Post
Jüpiter
post Feb 13 2018, 05:44 PM
Post #18
i got new rules i've got them
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 22,895
   No Gallery Pics

I'm torn on this. I feel they have grounds, but it's also very unfair to students to do this and expect them to fend for themselves for two whole weeks and not give them any extra time or support to make up the material which will then be possibly on the exams.

Strikes happened when I was in my third year of university and hit all of my classes for two or three weeks by chance and was a real contributing factor I feel in why I did really badly that year, which of course pulled my whole degree down. I felt it was incredibly unfair at the time and I still don't feel students should be made to suffer for the greed and mismanagement of politicians and upper management.

+Quote Post
Jade
post Wednesday, 12:17 AM
Post #19
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Member No.: 12,810

My University is not a part of these strikes. Thank goodness to be honest because this is an AWFUL time for third years - my practical project is due in next week (eek!!) and I desperately need my dissertation and law lectures right now in the lead up to the former and my law exam. I totally get why this is happening but 14 days is too far.

+Quote Post
Bré
post Yesterday, 07:01 PM
Post #20

Well I have my first confirmation of cancelled lectures now (thank god they do seem to be informing us ahead of time despite the email warning us they wouldn't), currently scheduled to be missing 3 full weeks' worth of lectures in one of my units, all material that will still be examinable. Great. x Not yet heard anything either way from any of my other lecturers but expecting to have more cancellations probably.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th February 2018 - 11:30 PM