BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> ULTIMATE THROWBACKS, when better to post than on a #ThrowbackThursday?!
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Jade
post Feb 15 2018, 10:51 PM
Post #1
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 12,810

Hi guys hi.gif so I've had this thread idea in my head for ages and had no idea if it would work or not, but... you don't know until you try eh?! I then thought... when better to post this than on a #ThrowbackThursday (albeit, with less than 2 hours left in the day x). This idea was inspired by me watching videos of people reacting to old technology and music - some of the vids got me so nostalgic, but other stuff featured in them was retro to the point of being way before my time and I was very keen to learn more about this old technology. So, on this site we have a memberbase with people of different age groups (from teens to 60s I believe!) and different countries, so I thought this could be a fun nostalgic trip / learning experience for all.

Basically, post something that makes you feel nostalgic and say whatever you want about it. This can be a toy, game, book, song, website... anything. The next person has to respond saying what their own memories of this thing is, or if they've never heard of it before, in which case that could potentially be a learning point (the US phenomenon of 'Trapper Keepers' was something that was brand new to me from the aforementioned videos, for example) and also contribute their own offering in the same post, then the cycle continues. Hope this will work out okay 'cause I could see it being potentially quite fun *.*

-----

I'll go first!

TAMAGOTCHIS

These were the BEES KNEES back in primary school *.* They were created in Japan in the 90s but were still pretty popular in the noughties too. I had quite a few of 'em from about 2004-2006 or so and I'm pretty sure my first was the exact one in the picture. An egg hatched a pet and you had to look after it by playing mini games and feeding it. I spent so many hours of my life playing with these omg. I did have two bad experiences though - 01) the noise it makes when it dies will haunt me forever and 2) my first memory of getting into trouble was me excitedly exclaiming to my friends that my Tamagotchi was having a baby in class, then my teacher overheard me and proceeded to confiscate it from me for the rest of term. Oops. The accompanying DS game and the website that was later incorporated were also a hoot too. Was anyone else into these??
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
BillyH
post Feb 15 2018, 10:59 PM
Post #2
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Group: Members
Member No.: 6,614
   No Gallery Pics

Yep my brother had one - they were the huge toy of late 1997 and were everywhere for a few months, didn't know they were still popular in the noughties! Fun for a while although I only ever used his rather than wanting my own, too much responsibility.

----

BOMFUNK MCS - FREESTYLER

Some songs are so iconic they remind you of not just a moment but an entire era, and everything about this just sums up Summer 2000 for me - a huge era for pre-teen me as I left primary school and prepared to start secondary! Total anthem of the time.

+Quote Post
Lindsey 🙃
post Feb 15 2018, 11:05 PM
Post #3
low-key, no pressure, just hang with me and my weather
Member No.: 21,176
   No Gallery Pics

omg so i went to a branding, packaging and advertising museum when i was in london the other day and idk if anyone else has been to it but its set up with a timeline from like the early 1900s to the present day of what packaging is like and there was so much 90s/00s things that had me feeling nostalgic af, it was really cool but its amazing how different things can be just within a five to ten years

also this

https://www.buzzfeed.com/alexfinnis/90s-and...oGgj#.ptzG0dGPR

+Quote Post
DalekTurret32
post Feb 15 2018, 11:16 PM
Post #4
My shoulder holds the weight of the world
Member No.: 21,666
   No Gallery Pics

MARIO KART (DS and Wii mainly)

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post Feb 15 2018, 11:16 PM
Post #5
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 3,272
   No Gallery Pics

Most of you will never realise how amazing the Sony Walkman was when it was launched in 1979. It meant we could play a cassette with perhaps as many as 30 songs (as long as they were fairly short) on a fairly small device. We could even carry extra cassettes as long as we had room in our rucksack or whatever.

+Quote Post
DalekTurret32
post Feb 15 2018, 11:17 PM
Post #6
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(BillyH @ Feb 15 2018, 10:59 PM) *
BOMFUNK MCS - FREESTYLER

I remember getting 100 Hits Club Classics CD from a now closed down HMV back in late 2008/early 2009. It had this song on it. I remember it very well.

+Quote Post
DalekTurret32
post Feb 15 2018, 11:18 PM
Post #7
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ Feb 15 2018, 11:16 PM) *

My mum had one of those.
Also, I remember seeing an episode of Golden Girls in which Sophia wears headphones connected to a Sony Walkman. She shouts "Purple Rain!"

+Quote Post
Cody💧Slayberry
post Feb 15 2018, 11:20 PM
Post #8
check your thighs in the mirror... and i'm done
Member No.: 21,308
   No Gallery Pics

Lindsey mentioned a link that had Pokemon and Beyblade but didn't have this to complete the trilogy

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post Feb 15 2018, 11:23 PM
Post #9
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 3,272
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(DalekTurret32 @ Feb 15 2018, 11:18 PM) *
My mum had one of those.
Also, I remember seeing an episode of Golden Girls in which Sophia wears headphones connected to a Sony Walkman. She shouts "Purple Rain!"

Believe me, they were an unbelievably sophisticated gadget at the time laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Bré
post Feb 15 2018, 11:26 PM
Post #10
Mr Jade Lauren Williams <333
Member No.: 8,300

I need to see if I can dig out my old copy of the Tamagotchi Corner Shop DS game, it was cute <3 (I used to own a couple of actual Tamagotchis as well but no way will I ever find that).

The ultimate nostalgia for me is Neopets, I wasted away so many hours a day for years building up an impressive account. I would still log on there every now and then just to see what's new (nothing very interesting these days sadly) - although the last time I tried to log on it didn't seem to accept my password and I'm trying again and it still isn't (I tried every variant on every password I've ever used just in case I was remembering it wrong but none of them are working) so I might have had my last days of being on Neopets </3

+Quote Post
Bré
post Feb 15 2018, 11:48 PM
Post #11
Mr Jade Lauren Williams <333
Member No.: 8,300

Omg reading that BuzzFeed article though - those Pringles containers *.* truly iconic

+Quote Post
Chez Wombat
post Feb 15 2018, 11:59 PM
Post #12
The owls are not what they seem
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

I think the two most nostalgic relics from my childhood were Pokemon Red and Blue on Game Boy Color which I spent many hours clawing away at, and also Cartoon Cartoons on Cartoon Network. I'm talking before Adventure Time or whatever you kids watch these days, these were the proper classics *.* See how many you can identify below~

(or this one as it's a suitable size)

+Quote Post
Jade
post Feb 16 2018, 12:14 AM
Post #13
Mrs Brayden Smith <333

OMG Chez I recognise almost every single character in that photo *.* I spy my two favourite Cartoon Network shows in the mix - Powerpuff Girls and Codename: Kids Next Door wub.gif they actually rebooted PPG in recent times but I haven't seen any of the new stuff, just the news that there was going to be a fourth Powerpuff Girl. Me and my brother were hooked on Cartoon Network from about 2003 to early secondary school age. Nickelodeon too and Disney Channel in the Hannah Montana/Suite Life days.

This is also a nostalgic Cartoon Network thing to me, mess at this show being teased with a charting single and everything, then never coming into fruition:

---

Loved creating cool things out of these about 10 years ago! You had to use ironing paper to make your creations come to life, soz to my mum who was always putting up with my ironing requests kink.gif

+Quote Post
Dexton
post Feb 16 2018, 12:51 AM
Post #14
Dexton?
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 25,045
   No Gallery Pics

*.*

This entire thread is one big nostalgia trip heart.gif Cartoon Network was amazing back in the day... Dexters Lab, C:KND, Powerpuff Girld, Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy, Johnny Bravo, Ed Edd & Eddy, Courage just being the biggest ones.

I also loved Rugrats, Tracy Beaker, Arthur, and Scooby Doo laugh.gif (never got into Spongebob though weirdly)

+Quote Post
Cody💧Slayberry
post Feb 16 2018, 03:19 AM
Post #15
check your thighs in the mirror... and i'm done
Member No.: 21,308
   No Gallery Pics

Cartoon Network still has a couple decent shows. There’s Steven Universe.

+Quote Post
T Boy
post Feb 16 2018, 10:07 AM
Post #16
Radical Pink Troll
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

Omg tamagotchis! My Christmas present for 1997. Everyone was obsessed with them but they died constantly. By the end of 1998 we all had yo-yos instead.

+Quote Post
DalekTurret32
post Feb 16 2018, 11:43 PM
Post #17
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Chez Wombat @ Feb 15 2018, 11:59 PM) *

I recognize a lot of those shows from the picture, even the obscure ones like Time Squad and Evil Con Carne.
Speaking of classic CN, I was watching some episodes of Billy And Mandy a few days ago. I'm enjoying it right now. The episode Little Rock Of Horrors is amongst one of my faves of the show, it's the one with Voltaire voicing that one-eyed monster that wanted Billy to get him some brains through a musical number, which got stuck in my head for a while. Other favourite episodes of mine include My Peeps, Jacked Up Halloween, Test Of Time and Dream A Little Dream.

+Quote Post
Leonardo
post Feb 16 2018, 11:47 PM
Post #18
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 11,502

With the reboot coming it’s making me nostalgic for my 90s childhood and fave program Sabrina The Teenage Witch, will obviously be avoided the reboot, because it just can’t compare

+Quote Post
PeteFromLeeds
post Feb 17 2018, 09:30 AM
Post #19
Oh I may not be the best, but I'm far from the worst
Member No.: 23,247
   No Gallery Pics

I've still got a collection of around 200 GoGos in my room :') I remember these were just THE THING back in around 2009, everyone had them but then I just kept collecting them for years afterwards laugh.gif I used to make videos that I sent to some website with me speaking in my awful 10 year-old American accent tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Jade
post Feb 17 2018, 03:05 PM
Post #20
Mrs Brayden Smith <333

^ Oh yes I remember those! They have also reminded me of another plastic craze that I feel like I haven't heard about in absolute years. These were called Waps (way before Fetty Wap arrived on the scene x) and I used to collect the Pokémon ones. I actually brought this craze to my Primary school and for months we would play and trade them until the fad died, cards who?

They looked like this:

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd June 2018 - 11:21 AM