BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Forgotten Gems
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
T Boy
post Feb 18 2018, 12:14 PM
Post #1
Radical Pink Troll
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

The Modern Classics thread got me thinking about some great songs that sadly aren’t as well remembered as they should be. Do you have some favourites from years gone by that people never talk about anymore? Or are there any songs you’d forgotten about that bring memories flooding back when you hear them for the first time in a long time.

This first one feels quite appropriate, given the thread title. I heard it in the hotel last week and realised I hadn’t heard it in ages despite listening to it loads back in 2005.

And I come across this one quite a lot when I get nostalgic about 1998. It rarely gets talked about anymore but I couldn’t imagine a song this bizarre being recorded in this day and age let alone charting.

Tbh both Space and Catatonia have a lot of songs that could be posted in this thread IMO.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jade
post Feb 18 2018, 01:09 PM
Post #2
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Member No.: 12,810

'They' is such a good shout wub.gif I wish I heard it more these days. It seems like one of those songs that a lot of people would recognise, but not necessarily be able to put an artist / song name to. That haunting production in particular is so standout!

So I have a few that have just come to mind:

The Pirates feat. Enya, Shola Ama, Naila Boss & Ishani - 'You Should Really Know'

This was a #8 hit back in 2004 but it seems totally forgotten nowadays. It was an 'answer' song to Mario Winans' 'I Don't Wanna Know' and improved it majorly in my opinion, I love the darker feel. THAT Enya sample that seems to pop up everywhere made an appearance also. I guess answer songs were in vogue at the time after the whole Eamon / Frankee thing.

D'Banj - 'Oliver Twist'

This Afrobeat bop was a #9 hit back in 2012 and was one of my songs of the summer that year *.* the production in particular is still incredibly infectious. I don't know if it's just me but I feel like I haven't heard this in absolutely ages which is a shame when it's so much fun.

Gramophonedzie - 'Why Don't You'

I shall round off the trio with this #12 hit from early 2010 which introduced a 12-year-old me to the concept of electro-swing *.* I was instantly taken by this fresh twist on an old song (Peggy Lee's version of 'Why Don't You Do Right? from 1947) and to this day it still sounds incredible. I guess Gramophonedzie isn't the most memorable stage name to stick in the minds of your average person for starters laugh.gif but yeah this one deserves more love nowadays also!

+Quote Post
Bré
post Feb 18 2018, 05:32 PM
Post #3
Mr Jade Lauren Williams <333
Member No.: 8,300

It's been a while since I last heard Porter Robinson's 'Language' now, for a while it was one I'd still hear every now and then despite it not being a super huge hit but alas I think it is probably resigned to forgotten gem status after all. </3

+Quote Post
Regina
post Feb 27 2018, 10:51 PM
Post #4
Raining Shitter
Group: Members
Member No.: 5,572

Ahead of it'a time. 0304 is a masterpiece album too.

This post has been edited by Regina: Feb 27 2018, 10:54 PM

+Quote Post
Jüpiter
post Feb 28 2018, 12:50 AM
Post #5
you only love me on the internet
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 22,895
   No Gallery Pics

The Saturdays' one #1, What About Us! I feel like out of all their tunes that one doesn't score highly as a well remembered one.

As for random ones, Stonebridge - Put Em High and that one by Boogie Pimps spring to mind right away.

+Quote Post
Tawdry Hepburn
post Feb 28 2018, 07:21 AM
Post #6
I'll find your lips in the street lights
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 51

They! wub.gif

I think I was still giving that regular plays up until about 2-3 years ago, I need to get back on it!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th June 2018 - 05:19 AM