BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Global Warming
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
What is causing GW
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 18
Guests cannot vote 
vidcapper
post Feb 21 2018, 09:57 AM
Post #1
Paul Hyett
Group: Members
Member No.: 364
   No Gallery Pics

Apologies if this has been discussed here before - if so, I must've missed the discussion.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bré
post Feb 21 2018, 10:06 AM
Post #2
Mr Jade Lauren Williams <333
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 8,300

This is not actually a debate, the scientific consensus is completely clear that humans have contributed to global warming massively out of proportion with its natural fluctuations. If you are 'not convinced' by this you're falling for propaganda. I say this as someone who used to be one of those people before I actually looked it up.

+Quote Post
vidcapper
post Feb 21 2018, 10:20 AM
Post #3
Paul Hyett
Member No.: 364
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Bré @ Feb 21 2018, 10:06 AM) *
This is not actually a debate, the scientific consensus is completely clear that humans have contributed to global warming massively out of proportion with its natural fluctuations. If you are 'not convinced' by this you're falling for propaganda. I say this as someone who used to be one of those people before I actually looked it up.

That is pretty much my position, too.

It wasn't always that way though, I had a book from the 70's titled 'The Weather Machine and the Threat of Ice'. laugh.gif

http://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/0271db1075b544c2996ebb81b38b9096

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtyM9mPbMUo

This post has been edited by vidcapper: Feb 21 2018, 10:24 AM

+Quote Post
Dexton
post Feb 21 2018, 02:27 PM
Post #4
Dexton?
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 25,045
   No Gallery Pics

The reality of it is that ever since the Industrial Revolution humans have been wreaking havoc on the atmosphere and, even today, show little sign of stopping. Granted, the Earths natural cycle is coming up to a point when - without human interference - a minor ice age similar to the one experienced during the medieval time would be happening. Global Warming is happening at an alarming rate compared to previous periods and the ice caps are diminishing at an equally alarming rate, it won’t be long before soemthing seriously intense happens...

One thing I hate about the whole GW/CC issue is all the preaching that Al Gore did in the 2000’s. He raised awareness which was amazing, but he also said a load of nonsense statistics and predictions which didn’t come true (when he said they would) and inadvertently convinced a proportion of the public that global warming wasn’t something that we had to worry about in our lifetime. I know the percentage of “non believers” is decreasing over time, but I think that if Al Gore had been more realistic and less in your face about the whole topic, more could’ve been done. From what I’ve been told he alienated part of the American society by introducing the GW issue into his presidential campaign, which he could’ve otherwise won if not for attacking everyone with the truth. I know that sounds ridiculous but it’s true.

+Quote Post
Jacob~
post Feb 21 2018, 10:28 PM
Post #5
Jacob Alan~
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 21,664
   No Gallery Pics

A mix of both really (tho I voted more man made), there's undeniably a significant man made component unfortunately but- and I don't mean to contradict you Dexton but I think you have your dates mixed up a lil?- I was pretty sure we were currently in a "warm period" as well. There was a cooler period in the dark ages, a very warm period in medieval times, another cool period from around the 15th/16th to early 19th century (the "Little Ice Age", when there were frost fairs on the Thames for example, the last of which was in 1814) and then a warm period from the 19th century to now, which has also of course been exasperated by 19th century industry and modern day emissions.

(Thanks Wikipedia x)

+Quote Post
Doctor Blind
post Feb 21 2018, 11:18 PM
Post #6
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
Member No.: 7,561
   No Gallery Pics

I went with Mostly man-made, with a natural trend on top - I must admit that despite being a fully trained meteorologist I don't have that strong a theoretical background of climate sciences. I know the basics, but not much beyond that. I am though interested in solar cycles (incidentally the current one, Cycle 24 is the least active for 100 years) which do have a large impact on our climate, though this is somewhat dwarfed at the moment by the huge increases forced by the increased absorption and return of outgoing radiation caused by the increase in the CO2 in our atmosphere which has ramped up considerably since the end of World War 2.

Of course El Niño has a much bigger impact - with big events in 1997 and the one in 2014-16 both causing huge leaps in mean global temperatures in the following year.

Similarly large volcanic eruptions do too - Pinatubo in 1991 actually reduced global temperatures by around 0.2C and the eruption of Mount Tambora in 1815 actually plummeted global temperatures by almost a degree, causing the famous "year without a summer" in 1816.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th June 2018 - 05:17 AM