BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Western Australia
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Midge
post Feb 22 2018, 10:47 AM
Post #1
I just think I'm neat
Group: Members
Member No.: 23,643
   No Gallery Pics

I'm off to WA in a week's time! Has anybody been before and can recommend things to do, places to see, places to eat, beaches to get naked on, etc?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Chez Wombat
post Feb 22 2018, 06:18 PM
Post #2
The owls are not what they seem
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

I went to Perth in WA a few years back as part of a conservation volunteering program and I really enjoyed it. I stayed in Fremantle, which is a nice city by the docks with a lot of marine history that you can see, definitely not short on city life, shopping centres, places to eat etc. and it's off the coast of Rottnest Island which is uninhabited by people and has loads of hilly slopes which is ideal for walks and bike rides, and is the only place on Earth you can see quokkas which are just about the cutest animals on the planet heart.gif You can get a cruise there very easily as well so it's a great day out and one I'd recommend.

Ofc. that's only scratching the surface (I wish I'd stayed/traveled longer but didn't have the funds D:) I'm sure, but it sounds like you'll have a great time anyway, enjoy it!

+Quote Post
danG
post Feb 22 2018, 07:08 PM
Post #3
◢ ◤
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

I went to Perth, WA once though it was mostly to meet my grandma and cousins. Don't remember much of what we did though looking at the internet travel guide I think we visited King's Park and Adventure World (or any another water/theme park, it was a while ago).

Personally I'd rank Melbourne, Sydney and Gold Coast above Perth.

+Quote Post
Dexton
post Feb 24 2018, 04:02 AM
Post #4
Dexton?
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 25,045
   No Gallery Pics

I live in Perth but I still recommend any other state capital above it laugh.gif Basically nothing to do here unless your interested in sub-par zooís and basic water parks. (/sarcasm)

That said, Perth city itself is full of amazing things to do/see. There are Fremantle tram tours & Perth double decker bus tours which are both brilliant ways to see the city. Thereís also plenty of beaches to get naked on too wink.gif tongue.gif

Other places Iíd recommend are: Rottnest Island (formerly known by settlers at Rats Nest island and was inhabited by slave convicts once upon a time, now a tourism destination of course), Penguin Island (which is further south but the only place youíll see penguins in WA), Fremantle Prison, Perth or Peel Zoo, Serpentine Falls, Hillaryís Boat Harbour (thereís a marina here but I canít rememebr the name of it. Here thereís a WA Hall of Fame thingy with stars on the boardwalk of Australian icons - Heath Ledger for eg), Kings Park (any section really, but the war memorial area comes with a cafe and a beautiful view of the entire Perth city & Swan River), Whitemark Park (also has a zoo but has a water park area and generally lots of fun stuff), Elizabeth Quay, Scarborough (the entire place), Fremantle Markets, Adventure World (never personally been bc I hate that sort of thing but I know loads of people who love it there). If your down for a couple of hours drive I suggest places like Yanchep, Mandurah, Busselton, Bunbury, and even Margaret River.

Plenty of beaches all over the place but tbh the absolute best beaches Iíve ever seen were down near Albany, a good 4-5 hours drive from Perth if your up for that tongue.gif

Jamie Oliverís restaurant in Perth is highly overrated and not at all worth the waiting time or prices, however the city itself is full of sneaky little hidden gems all over the place from food trucks and backstreet grilled cheese sandwich shops. Very hipster in some places but definitely worth a good look around one day. As for bars/clubs/etc, I highly recommend inner Perth & Fremantle for a good night out (finished off with a kebab on the train home if your like me kink.gif). Thereís also some incredible wineries and breweries further inland / south which do amazing food & homebrew

Hope you have an amazing time here, the weather is (mostly) great right now and should be fit well for you - this summer hasnít been literally deadly like it was 2 years ago and thereís often a nice breeze which comes along with the 30+ degree Days. Perfect for a visitor biggrin.gif Maybe Iíll see you around tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Midge
post Feb 24 2018, 11:35 AM
Post #5
I just think I'm neat
   No Gallery Pics

Thanks for your responses! I will certainly note those. I'm staying with a friend who lives apparently around the corner from Adventure World in Perth (which we are apparently going to in the first week I'm there, in case the temperature drops a lot in the month I'm there)... he also has a car so hopefully will get to visit some of the surrounding area too. Rottnest Island is a definite.

Apparently there are also a few festivals on during the month such as Japan festival?? There was another but I've forgotten what it is.

I definitely want to try a variety of cuisine, explore the wildlife (but not snakes and spiders) and beaches, the nightlife, and have some random adventures as well.

+Quote Post
Midge
post Mar 10 2018, 11:36 AM
Post #6
I just think I'm neat
   No Gallery Pics

I'll post an update of week 1 with pics soon hopefully!

+Quote Post
Dexton
post Mar 10 2018, 11:48 AM
Post #7
Dexton?
   No Gallery Pics

How are you enjoying your stay so far? ohmy.gif Severe winds tonight apparently but thatís not stopping me from going out to the city laugh.gif Kinda fitting too because The Day After Tomorrow is on Channel 7 right now rotf.gif No tornadoes though which is a relief tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Midge
post Mar 10 2018, 12:02 PM
Post #8
I just think I'm neat
   No Gallery Pics

In a nutshell: I love it here laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Dircadirca
post Mar 10 2018, 02:23 PM
Post #9
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 19,614
   No Gallery Pics

It's a nice time of the year to be here, summer heatwave has gladly passed.

+Quote Post
Midge
post Mar 22 2018, 07:40 AM
Post #10
I just think I'm neat
   No Gallery Pics

There's been a 39 degree day and yesterday was 37 degrees, my understanding is that there is freaky hot weather for March this year after a mild summer!

Okay so here's something for you lot; come on a bush walk with me for 3 and a half minutes.

+Quote Post
Dexton
post Mar 22 2018, 07:47 AM
Post #11
Dexton?
   No Gallery Pics

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA rotf.gif

Can confirm this is what all Western Australians go through on a daily basis

+Quote Post
Midge
post Apr 6 2018, 10:33 AM
Post #12
I just think I'm neat
   No Gallery Pics

So I'm back from down under and I'm gonna share some photos and experiences with you smile.gif not all at once though! Western Australia was an incredible place to visit, and its main city Perth (where I was staying for the month) is the most remote major city in the world.

This was me at the Pinnacles, Nambung National Park, WA.

Asides myself, the sky and sand, what you can see are known as the Pinnacles which are limestone formations. "The raw material for the limestone of the Pinnacles came from seashells in an earlier era that was rich in marine life. These shells were broken down into lime-rich sands that were blown inland to form high mobile dunes." (from Wikipedia)

It was such a surreal place to be and we got some fantastic pictures. I particularly loved this one as the sun set!

Kudos points for anybody who spots the wild kangaroos wink.gif

This is the dockyard in Hillarys, WA. We were actually off to the aquarium which is located by the dockyard, but I was struck by the beauty and bliss of the dockyard and had to take a snap! It was the first time I really thought "this is paradise" on the holiday.

This post has been edited by Midge: Apr 6 2018, 10:33 AM

+Quote Post
Maz!
post Apr 6 2018, 02:34 PM
Post #13
BuzzJack Gold Member
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 20,217
   No Gallery Pics

Looks amazing there! Saw some pictures on your Instagram, looks like you had an amazing trip down under.

+Quote Post
Cqmerqn
post Apr 6 2018, 02:58 PM
Post #14
Fuego!
Member No.: 23,155
   No Gallery Pics

That looks incredible

+Quote Post
Midge
post Apr 6 2018, 03:21 PM
Post #15
I just think I'm neat
   No Gallery Pics

At the Pinnacles, it literally felt like I was on another planet - it's just how I imagine Mars would look laugh.gif

Got plenty more pics to come - didn't realise you followed me on Insta either, Maz! I'll have to find you and follow you back smile.gif

cmquat - you definitely need to get out to Australia. If you do it whilst you're still really young then the better. It'll change your life.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th May 2018 - 01:50 PM