BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What has changed about BuzzJack since you first joined?
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
When did you join Buzzjack?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 75
Guests cannot vote 
Jade
post Feb 26 2018, 01:34 PM
Post #1
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 12,810

I have been a member of BuzzJack for 7 years and the feel of the place was decidedly different back in 2011! But all of us joined at different times so we will have varying experiences of when we first signed up. How has it changed for you?

For me...

01) It has become a lot friendlier, when I first joined I remember terms like 'beige' being thrown around a lot and rates being more brutal. I feel like the pinnacle of friendliness was about 2015 though, when plug.dj was at its height and the strong sense of community spirit was evident!
02) Less Darius
03) More females dominating the place! Back in 2011 or so, Kelly was already not posting any more and April hadn't arrived yet, so I felt really alone as a female laugh.gif I think I might have had britster as company though *_*
04) 'iLoons' no longer being a popular term on the forum. I wonder if an iTunes thread about John Newman vs. The Saturdays would conjure up as much discussion now as it did back in the day

over to you <3

(oh and I threw in a 'when did you join?' poll 'cause I wanna see which year has the most survivors #Team2011)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Lindsey 🙃
post Feb 26 2018, 02:04 PM
Post #2
low-key, no pressure, just hang with me and my weather
Member No.: 21,176
   No Gallery Pics

2015 was when I really got emersed in the community but I feel like that was the clique-iest time on the site and there was a lot of division despite the popularity of plug and rabbit etc. It was probably my fave BJSC year though, idk if its just because it was my debut year so it was all new and exciting but a lot of my fave entries came from then.

2016 was just 100% drama and the site was rather toxic at times and i can see now how that stemmed from the divisions in 2015. Plug was kinda dying out and friendship groups were shifting etc

2017 Idek, i think there were elements of 2016 that carrier forward but on the whole it has been a lot better and people don't seem to want to stir up as much shite as they might have done previously. Maybe because I'm slightly more detached from the social workings of the site now and i only really pay attention to what I'm doing in my mod roles so I don't care as much but I feel there's a better atmosphere. People aren't as quick to jump on each other etc. I personally have been in various fb groups or social circles from here but the friends I'm closest too now feel incredibly genuine and they've all been absolute rocks to me over the past year or so and it's what I love most about the site and I'm so thankful for them all.

2018 is gonna be a good buzzjack year I think

I've never felt out of place as one of the few females, obviously when I joined it was pre-lotti but it's never really been a thing for me. I would be perfectly fine as the only girl here if that were the case. I think because I do have a lot of male friends and i just get on with people regardless of whether they're male/female/anything else. For all the shit that's happened in the past on here, it's always been an accepting place for things like gender or sexuality or any other personal aspect of yourself which is probably what kept me coming back in the early days, even down to things like taste in music or where you live, everyone's just kinda like "okay cool" laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Jade
post Feb 26 2018, 02:13 PM
Post #3
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Member No.: 12,810

I think I felt a bit unsure about my standing on BuzzJack for the first few years of my time here because it was seen as a bit of a novelty that I was a female. So many rate comments that I got back in the early days were "Omg an actual girl!!1" (unless it was something like "you're naÔve and annoying" kink.gif) which got a bit tiring. Plus I was only about 14 anyway so I was probably way more immature about the situation than I would be now. Since we grew to have about 4 active females at the same time and people found out that there was actually more to me, it's not really mattered to me at all. Certainly in school I always had more male friends anyway so it's not a problem that there's a large gender imbalance here. I'm just happy that being a female doesn't define me on here anymore. Girl power yay x

+Quote Post
Cameron
post Feb 26 2018, 02:14 PM
Post #4
THE BLAZE *.*
Member No.: 18,061

I joined in late 2012, basically because I found a post that gave The Saturdays sales... LMAO

I have to say my favourite era is 2014-2016. Later 2016 onwards has been awful.

+Quote Post
BillyH
post Feb 26 2018, 02:24 PM
Post #5
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Group: Members
Member No.: 6,614
   No Gallery Pics

Lurker on CoolClarity since 2004 and Buzzjack since 2006, but 2008 was when I finally actually braved signing up and posting something tongue.gif Looking back I'm glad I waited as I was sixteen in 2004 and used to post a lot of cringeworthy stuff on other forums, but at least I'd matured a little before posting here - although there's still the occasional old post I wince at today!

The Retro forum seems more of a welcoming place than it was a decade ago, when people got fussy if you mentioned a group that was "too recent" to be called Retro - I think this happened when someone tried starting a Vengaboys thread, even though they firmly belonged to a previous era by then. Most of the talk was about the 1970s and 1980s with barely anything from the mid-1990s onwards. Obviously discussion about the chart itself has changed too as when I joined it was still the physical/download transition, and people were getting excited that sales were finally going up after several years of panic in the mid-noughties, TOTP/CD:UK being axed etc.

It does seem like a friendlier place today but that may be because I've ventured much more out the chart forums in recent years, entering the occasional game or contest and making my first tentative steps in Plug recently. I'm still not as known as several posters here but feel more part of a community at least!

+Quote Post
Regina
post Feb 26 2018, 02:32 PM
Post #6
Raining Shitter
Member No.: 5,572

I joined in 2008 (nearly 10 years drama.gif) and I miss those days.

I feel like the site has gotten increasingly worse in the last two ro so years. There is a lot more emphasis on cliques and being in the "it" crowd, no matter how much
people protest this. A certain number of members seem to get away with things that others don't and there is always a select few who get given better...benefits, than others too.
There is a ton more fakeness in people too, there is more "friendlyness" that comes off as fake because it is plain to see that behind closed doors these same people are being bitchy about the same people they are nice too.
People seem less inclined to be honest and "harsh" because more and more people run right to the bully accusations. Back in the day everyone was a lot more honest and it was a nice place because we all knew where we stood.

One thing i really hate about this site now is that people seem to celebrate members who would be called trolls and have warnings in earlier years. They get away with making troll threads, acting like knobs in threads and posting absolute trahs because a certain few (again, those who get away with murder) decide that it's "fun" or "entertaining" when it used to be that they would get warned or their threads closed.

I feel increasingly closed off from the site but keep clinging on for the few areas I still like.

Some positives being some members getting the recognition they deserve and turnign some areas of the site around and making them more fun to be in (looking at you Sam and the movie forum)

This post has been edited by Regina: Feb 26 2018, 03:01 PM

+Quote Post
vidcapper
post Feb 26 2018, 02:59 PM
Post #7
Paul Hyett
Member No.: 364
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Regina @ Feb 26 2018, 02:32 PM) *
I joined in 2018 (nearly 10 years drama.gif) and I miss those days.

presumably you meant 2008. tongue.gif

I feel like the site has gotten increasingly worse in the last two ro so years. There is a lot more emphasis on cliques and being in the "it" crowd, no matter how much
people protest this. A certain number of members seem to get away with things that others don't and there is always a select few who get given better...benefits, than others too.
There is a ton more fakeness in people too, there is more "friendlyness" that comes off as fake because it is plain to see that behind closed doors these same people are being bitchy about the same people they are nice too.
People seem less inclined to be honest and "harsh" because more and more people run right to the bully accusations. Back in the day everyone was a lot more honest and it was a nice place because we all knew where we stood.

One thing i really hate about this site now is that people seem to celebrate members who would be called trolls and have warnings in earlier years. They get away with making troll threads, acting like knobs in threads and posting absolute trahs because a certain few (again, those who get away with murder) decide that it's "fun" or "entertaining" when it used to be that they would get warned or their threads closed.

I'v been here ever since 2006, but it's only since I strayed outside the chart forum that it's become less enjoyable - it's now very wearing to have to express my opinion in a form that doesn't offend anyone (I don't always succeed), while still remaining true to what I believe.

This post has been edited by vidcapper: Feb 26 2018, 02:59 PM

+Quote Post
ǝʎʞ
post Feb 26 2018, 03:10 PM
Post #8
ē Aesthetic Party ē
Member No.: 2,169

iíve been, what i would politely describe myself as, a drifter for over 11 years.. as i joined in Dec 2006! ohmy.gif

one of the main things iíve noticed is the rise and fall of certain members + how that then affected how fast-paced things would move. & the fact that the forum is generally a nicer, more tolerant place.. which iím not sure is a positive thing in some cases.

i would definitely agree that some members get away with absolute murder + definitely wouldnít have got away with that ďback in the dayĒ but overall i just use this place as an outlet to contribute my opinions + i enjoy seeing varying views on things. strange as it seems, itís a quiet comfort to see certain names daily + find out the views of familiar strangers & even grow to respect them? thatís something that hasnít changed all that much.

+Quote Post
Tawdry Hepburn
post Feb 26 2018, 03:24 PM
Post #9
I'll find your lips in the street lights
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 51

QUOTE(Regina @ Feb 26 2018, 02:32 PM) *

Touching on this, it REALLY f***s me off how one certain member has gotten away with their bullshit for about 5 years now.

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Feb 26 2018, 03:26 PM
Post #10
Honey I rose up from the dead I do it all the time
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 10,139

I joined in December 2009! I do think it was a bit snider with a lot of newbies, like it took me until about 2011 to be secure and happy here properly, I spent most of 2010 just ambling along and in my first rate I think I came like 72nd and everyone was like who lmaoo, because I had a generic name like Gagafan after "Xfactorguy", goals x I think it too that time for some of the old guard to get to like me by the time a new batch of newbies was there for them to dislike and the circle of life continued.

I feel bit more detached recently than my peak of loving buzzjack like 2011-2015 or so (with a break of that for the infamous 2012 rate x), not because of a bad atmosphere or anything but I just feel like a lot of the newbies and those coming into prominence are not necessarily my sort of people or the ones I get on with. I guess I sometimes feel a bit dillusioned with what and who is popular, even just in things like BJSC or rates, and I guess I get kind of how people felt when newbies got a bit of a hard time but I'd never be that rude to people as I understand you can't be at the forefront of everything all the time and everything going your way. I just think a lot of people post for the sake of it when there's no substance or point, not to discourage people from posting but it's not too hard to add meow than a brief opinion or just stating "this song comes out at some point let's make a thread!!1!1". I think that's what I'd agree people get away with, it's borderline spam at times and annoying to read. I also find there is still some rudeness and condescending behaviour but it can be just as much from some of the newbies.

I don't really want a return to the toxicity we've had previously at all, I don't think cliques and divides are as bad as they have been, like Christ 2016 (I think it was) was awful for that artificial "Lottsey clique" and Skype "divide" created out of nothing, when loads of us were friends with loads of Skype, like Jade and Bal for example have always been faves of mine. There's really no need for that and I think it was just people who didn't feel as secure on the site scapegoating groups of friends as "cliques" as if were all in Mean Girls excluding people. Even in the friendlier days of plug I felt a bit uncomfortable after about 2015 because some of us going on just to have a nice time on plug would get moaned at for being cliquey if we had one in joke or made reference to real life plans. Everyone can't be involved in everything to do with this site but that doesn't mean anyone is excluded. I think that's what th site does well now, everyone is included and I feel it's easier for newbies to integrate now than it would have been when I first joined. It's just not always for me but I'm st this stage where I'll just not read certain threads or scroll past ratherthan causing a fuss like old Liam might have at times.

+Quote Post
Jack
post Feb 26 2018, 03:27 PM
Post #11
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 223

I don't think it's been as dramatic / exciting as it used to be, but I still enjoy it and I will always post probably laugh.gif

Also, agreed that some people get away with murder. There have been some posters who have been so overly patronising, condescending especially when they're only 14-18 years old! It's such a horrible trait. I will say that people like Liam have been great at putting them in their place though.

This post has been edited by Jack: Feb 26 2018, 03:29 PM

+Quote Post
The Snake 🐍
post Feb 26 2018, 03:35 PM
Post #12
Don't mess it up, talking that hiss
Member No.: 23,308
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Tawdry Hepburn @ Feb 26 2018, 03:24 PM) *
Touching on this, it REALLY f***s me off how one certain member has gotten away with their bullshit for about 5 years now.

Oh so its not me you are referring to biggrin.gif Feared it was until I saw the 'about 5 years bit'! ohmy.gif

This post has been edited by The Snake : Feb 26 2018, 03:36 PM

+Quote Post
vidcapper
post Feb 26 2018, 03:38 PM
Post #13
Paul Hyett
Member No.: 364
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Tawdry Hepburn @ Feb 26 2018, 03:24 PM) *

I do try to post as politely as I can, though - and I never set out to *deliberately* offend. coffee.gif

+Quote Post
Tawdry Hepburn
post Feb 26 2018, 03:42 PM
Post #14
I'll find your lips in the street lights
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 51

QUOTE(vidcapper @ Feb 26 2018, 03:38 PM) *
I do try to post as politely as I can, though - and I never set out to *deliberately* offend. coffee.gif

It isn't about you, you aren't that important.

coffee.gif

+Quote Post
Shandy Leer
post Feb 26 2018, 03:58 PM
Post #15
Creole Lady Mayonnaise
Member No.: 16,548
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(vidcapper @ Feb 26 2018, 03:38 PM) *

You're just naturally offensive

+Quote Post
Lindsey 🙃
post Feb 26 2018, 04:08 PM
Post #16
   No Gallery Pics

*mod cap*

We are aware of a handful of members that do push the limit often and we have issued warnings and bans when we can but there's only so much myself and my co-mods can do in here before management has to step in but what I will say is bombard us with reports if you have to, vocalise the issues you have with certain posters in the thread or pm one of us, don't be afraid to name and shame because the more reason we have to step in the better. A lot of the time our approach is just to delete posts in the hope that sends the message but obviously that doesn't always work....

+Quote Post
HarryEzra
post Feb 26 2018, 04:11 PM
Post #17
Sit Down. Be Humble.
Member No.: 20,835

I first joined in 2014 when I first was only a chart forum poster *.*. I think one positive how is less toxic it is, friendlier on the whole which is great as in 2015 maybe it was 2016/too there were a lot of drama sounding "cliques" and it was just a bad time to be around. Now I feel it is a lot calmer and friendlier.

However, I find myself posting a lot less than I usually do at the same time and I am not sure why. Maybe due to being busy with uni work or just keeping myself to mod roles and friendship groups made outside of the site.

+Quote Post
The Snake 🐍
post Feb 26 2018, 04:16 PM
Post #18
Don't mess it up, talking that hiss
Member No.: 23,308
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Lindsey 🙃 @ Feb 26 2018, 04:08 PM) *
*mod cap*

We are aware of a handful of members that do push the limit often and we have issued warnings and bans when we can but there's only so much myself and my co-mods can do in here before management has to step in but what I will say is bombard us with reports if you have to, vocalise the issues you have with certain posters in the thread or pm one of us, don't be afraid to name and shame because the more reason we have to step in the better. A lot of the time our approach is just to delete posts in the hope that sends the message but obviously that doesn't always work....

Yes but we don't really want to see this thread become bogged down with arguments between posters, do we laugh.gif Although I guess its only a matter of time with a thread like this wink.gif

+Quote Post
Jack
post Feb 26 2018, 04:18 PM
Post #19
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 223

It doesn't need to be an argument, if people can't handle a bit of constructive criticism, then they need to grow a pair. As long as it's done in a fair way, I see no harm in vocalizing any issues.

+Quote Post
Lindsey 🙃
post Feb 26 2018, 04:23 PM
Post #20
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(The Snake @ Feb 26 2018, 04:16 PM) *
Yes but we don't really want to see this thread become bogged down with arguments between posters, do we laugh.gif Although I guess its only a matter of time with a thread like this wink.gif

I didn't specifically mean this thread, i was talking about the ones where there's posters posting shit people don't want to see so people are highlighting the issues there and then. If you dont want to do thst then hit the report button beneath a post and it instantly notifies all the mods of that forum via pm and you've got the option to add a message too.

Like Jack said, it's not arguing it's constructive criticism and let's you voice how you feel while also drawing our attention to it. This forum should be enjoyable and inclusive to everyone.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th May 2018 - 09:37 PM