BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Radio Station Sound Compression
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
sm1ffj
post Mar 6 2018, 08:43 PM
Post #1
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Group: Members
Member No.: 12,629
   No Gallery Pics

Although they have to do it as stations are scared of quiet and silence, boosting the quiet places in songs and compressing the louder bits.

I do it with the stuff I play on my shows as it helps my on air workload, so I don't need to keep adjusting the trim knob constantly, and the station output being a community station is not fully compressed, I personally feel it sounds better compressed as it goes out, much more power, but it's just my preference. You have more freedom to do more on a community station.

But, do you like the compressed sound, or the natural uncompressed sound, just as the music track comes.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
The Snake 🐍
post Mar 6 2018, 09:08 PM
Post #2
Don't mess it up, talking that hiss
Member No.: 23,308
   No Gallery Pics

Oh my, so sometimes the songs played on radio sound different to the same songs played on spotify in terms of sound levels? Never knew that ohmy.gif

Is there less difference then between the loud and quiet bits of a song if audio compression is used? I know classical music sometimes has big differences in sound levels throughout a piece and I could still hear the big differences if I listen to Classic FM for example.

+Quote Post
sm1ffj
post Mar 6 2018, 09:21 PM
Post #3
BuzzJack Enthusiast
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(The Hissmobile @ Mar 6 2018, 09:08 PM) *
Oh my, so sometimes the songs played on radio sound different to the same songs played on spotify in terms of sound levels? Never knew that ohmy.gif

Is there less difference then between the loud and quiet bits of a song if audio compression is used? I know classical music sometimes has big differences in sound levels throughout a piece and I could still hear the big differences if I listen to Classic FM for example.

When you listen to some tracks, you can sometimes hear the quiet bits sound like the volume has been turned up, when I dynamic Process in cool edit, the sound wave evens out quite a bit, there is many different settings in processing you can use, some do it more extreme than others, it is a complex science...

+Quote Post
The Snake 🐍
post Mar 6 2018, 09:33 PM
Post #4
   No Gallery Pics

Interesting, I will have to keep my ears out for the quiet bits of songs on radio to see if it sounds like they have been turned up.

Why don't studio versions of songs destined for radio play (the radio edits) just have audio compression anyway so the stations don't have to turn it on themselves?

This post has been edited by The Hissmobile: Mar 6 2018, 09:35 PM

+Quote Post
sm1ffj
post Mar 6 2018, 09:43 PM
Post #5
BuzzJack Enthusiast
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(The Hissmobile @ Mar 6 2018, 09:33 PM) *
Interesting, I will have to keep my ears out for the quiet bits of songs on radio to see if it sounds like they have been turned up.

Why don't studio versions of songs destined for radio play (the radio edits) just have audio compression anyway so the stations don't have to turn it on themselves?

The artists want it that way probably.

+Quote Post
sm1ffj
post Mar 6 2018, 09:46 PM
Post #6
BuzzJack Enthusiast
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(The Hissmobile @ Mar 6 2018, 09:33 PM) *

The Free software Audacity has a compressor in the software, download it drag a song in to it perform a compression step, and see some differences to the sound file...

+Quote Post
The Snake 🐍
post Mar 6 2018, 09:49 PM
Post #7
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(sm1ffj @ Mar 6 2018, 09:43 PM) *
The artists want it that way probably.

Yeah and also non compressed songs probably sound better played in speakers, maybe!

The Free software Audacity has a compressor in the software, download it drag a song in to it perform a compression step, and see some differences to the sound file...

Oh my I actually use Audacity (and an electronic piano program and sound recorder program) to make songs so I have it, so I will have to try it out.

+Quote Post
RadarRadar
post Mar 7 2018, 12:20 AM
Post #8
New Entry
Member No.: 68,086
   No Gallery Pics

I HATE WHEN RADIO does this lol

+Quote Post
gavindeejay
post Mar 7 2018, 08:20 AM
Post #9
Why do today, what you can do tomorrow?
Member No.: 7,645
   No Gallery Pics

Commercial radio spend thousands on optimods and processing to try and make the station sound as vibrant as possible. Flick between Radio's 1 and 2 and you can tell the difference in processing instantly.

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Mar 7 2018, 12:37 PM
Post #10
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 17,376
   No Gallery Pics

I mostly listen in my car and radio music sounds quite flat compared to the depth I get from itune-mp3's burned onto CD - and even then the quality varies between tracks, some are louder, more panoramic, some are more like the radio - Jeff Lynne and Lady Gaga tracks are examples of downloads that just didn't cut it in terms of overall depth compared to others I downloaded at the same time last year.

+Quote Post
Crazy Chris
post Mar 8 2018, 07:01 PM
Post #11
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 53
   No Gallery Pics

I read somewhere this week that Steve Wright on Radio 2 asks the technical operator for loads of compression on the music in his shows. The TO's don't necessarily agree with so much but do what he requests as he's such a big name.His show has far more compression than other R2 shows.

+Quote Post
The Snake 🐍
post Mar 9 2018, 12:05 AM
Post #12
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Crazy Chris @ Mar 8 2018, 07:01 PM) *
I read somewhere this week that Steve Wright on Radio 2 asks the technical operator for loads of compression on the music in his shows. The TO's don't necessarily agree with so much but do what he requests as he's such a big name.His show has far more compression than other R2 shows.

Oh my! Wonder why Steve Wright apparently likes compression so much? I know he has been on air a long time, I was listening to archived R1 shows from the 80s and he was presenting, so maybe having a lot of compression is what happened in the past a lot on radio and he is maybe more used to it.

Must listen to Steve Wright's show and see if I can hear the additional compression use.

Although they have to do it as stations are scared of quiet and silence
There are only really big variations between quiet and louder parts in classical music songs/long progressive rock songs/trance music I thought, and most studio versions of the kind of songs that get played on radio don't have massive variations in volume anyway I didn't think. The exception would be certain power ballads for example, like Whitney Houston - I Will Always Love You which would have big volume differences between loud and quiet bits.

Flick between Radio's 1 and 2 and you can tell the difference in processing instantly.

How do these two stations differ in processing and which one has more compression? unsure.gif

+Quote Post
The Snake 🐍
post Mar 13 2018, 11:33 AM
Post #13
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Crazy Chris @ Mar 8 2018, 07:01 PM) *

Couldn't find the article from this week, but here's something I found from 2010 about Steve Wright show and its sound compression. Someone near the end of the thread makes a good point sound compression makes it sound better if there is a lot of background noise, and I assume as most people listen to Steve Wright in their cars / at work then that kind of makes sense.

https://forums.digitalspy.com/discussion/12...-sounds-rubbish

+Quote Post
sm1ffj
post Mar 13 2018, 02:44 PM
Post #14
BuzzJack Enthusiast
   No Gallery Pics

I Played Sweet - Love is like Oxygen this week, I processed that song, sounds so much better..

+Quote Post
The Snake 🐍
post Mar 13 2018, 02:55 PM
Post #15
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(sm1ffj @ Mar 13 2018, 02:44 PM) *
I Played Sweet - Love is like Oxygen this week, I processed that song, sounds so much better..

Maybe its predominantly retro songs then that sound better compressed then? Possibly because the production methods back then when the song was made weren't as good?

This post has been edited by The Hissmobile: Mar 13 2018, 02:57 PM

+Quote Post
sm1ffj
post Mar 13 2018, 02:59 PM
Post #16
BuzzJack Enthusiast
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(The Hissmobile @ Mar 13 2018, 02:55 PM) *
Maybe its predominantly retro songs then that sound better compressed then? Possibly because the production methods back then when the song was made weren't as good?

That was just an example, I process the new songs by Camilla Cabello & Jax Jones, they are improved too...

+Quote Post
The Snake 🐍
post Apr 6 2018, 03:18 PM
Post #17
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(sm1ffj @ Mar 13 2018, 03:59 PM) *
That was just an example, I process the new songs by Camilla Cabello & Jax Jones, they are improved too...

So you play loads of different songs from different eras on your radio station and the songs all come out with more power because of the compression as you say? Sounds excellent!

Would you say you use the same levels of compression as Steve Wright on Radio 2 would use? Also do you know if Radio 1 uses much compression?

+Quote Post
DropzoneUK
post Apr 6 2018, 04:14 PM
Post #18
BuzzJack Climber
Member No.: 40,955
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(gavindeejay @ Mar 7 2018, 09:20 AM) *
Commercial radio spend thousands on optimods and processing to try and make the station sound as vibrant as possible. Flick between Radio's 1 and 2 and you can tell the difference in processing instantly.

The loudness war is in FULL EFFECT

+Quote Post
The Snake 🐍
post Apr 6 2018, 04:38 PM
Post #19
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(DropzoneUK @ Apr 6 2018, 05:14 PM) *
The loudness war is in FULL EFFECT

Oh my! I assumed before this thread was created that songs released in this day and age were the highest possible sound quality for playing on radio without the need for further processing. ohmy.gif I even thought the smaller stations may have just used an online streaming service (such is the number of songs on there) to play songs directly!

This post has been edited by The Snake 🐍: Apr 6 2018, 04:42 PM

+Quote Post
DropzoneUK
post Apr 6 2018, 05:11 PM
Post #20
BuzzJack Climber
Member No.: 40,955
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(The Snake 🐍 @ Apr 6 2018, 05:38 PM) *
Oh my! I assumed before this thread was created that songs released in this day and age were the highest possible sound quality for playing on radio without the need for further processing. ohmy.gif I even thought the smaller stations may have just used an online streaming service (such is the number of songs on there) to play songs directly!

to be fair i think they probably are, in my opinion copious amounts of extra compression on the master track worsens the sound quality if anything, the stations want it to sound louder as you change station so it 'feels' like better quality, when in fact its compressed to shit and has zero dynamics lol

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2018 - 10:53 PM