BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Jury Service
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Chez Wombat
post Mar 6 2018, 10:50 PM
Post #1
The owls are not what they seem
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

So I found out yesterday that I've been selected for Jury service soon. I have honestly never done anything like this before and have been frantically reading around to see what it is, I gather it involves quite a lot of waiting and, if you are selected, quite the...unique experience. I have no idea if I would do good at this though, I'm certainly of the sensitive kind.

Has anyone ever done this or knows anyone that has? Any advice/thoughts would be greatly appreciated! (obvs I know a lot of this is confidential so more just days in the life/generally what it's like)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Brett-Butler
post Mar 6 2018, 10:55 PM
Post #2
Howdy, disco citizens.
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 10,455
   No Gallery Pics

I've never been called for jury duty, and given that sorts of cases one expects to sit on here, it's probably a good thing for my sanity.

I can't offer any advice, but if you're trying to escape it, Homer Simpson's got some pretty spot-on advice -

+Quote Post
Mack.
post Mar 6 2018, 10:58 PM
Post #3
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 12,915
   No Gallery Pics

No sorry, can't give any advice either. Be prepared for what you are hearing in regards to how serious the case is.

+Quote Post
danG
post Mar 6 2018, 11:01 PM
Post #4
◢ ◤
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

my dad had to do it recently, without going into any details he didn't agree with the ~outcome and there was a lot of waiting so I don't think he enjoyed it much.

+Quote Post
Jade
post Mar 6 2018, 11:05 PM
Post #5
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Member No.: 12,810

I have never been selected for jury service, but I have sat in on a court case before for journalistic purposes and witnessed the very start of the jury process taking place, where each juror swears to conduct their duty. I have always really wanted to do it! Best of luck with the experience and I hope you enjoy it.

+Quote Post
Mart!n
post Mar 6 2018, 11:06 PM
Post #6
Infamy Infamy they all got it in for me
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 2

It could last a week or even longer, like a month and you won't know the details of the case until you get there. Never been on jury service, but I know someone that has. Best advice I could give you, talk to someone that has been on jury service, probably someone in the family of the older generation.

+Quote Post
lotita.
post Mar 6 2018, 11:07 PM
Post #7
feminist icon
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 21,777

I’m kind of jealous, I really want to go on jury

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Mar 6 2018, 11:27 PM
Post #8
Brown cow, stunning!
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 10,139

I did jury service in the summer! It's more exciting on paper than it actually is but obviously it depends if you get a good case or not laugh.gif I think I went in on the Monday, got to go home after lunch bc there was no cases that day, went back in Tuesday and got a case that afternoon after lunch, then we got introduced to the case (like when you sit in and they say the defendants and what they're up for etc.) and had the bulk of it the next day, the witnesses, defendants chances to speak etc., and went to deliberate at like half 4 so that spilled into the day after. Everyone pretty much agreed, one women wasn't sure but just kind of gave in lmaoo, so it didn't take that long. Got the rest of Thursday and Friday off, went back in the Monday and sat around the whole day, went back in Tuesday and they dismissed us that morning laugh.gif

Ofc though you could get a juicy trial that takes the whole week and is really interesting so it depends. The waiting around is just so boring that's definitely the worst part.

+Quote Post
Jüpiter
post Mar 6 2018, 11:41 PM
Post #9
you only love me on the internet
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 22,895
   No Gallery Pics

What do you have to wear for it? I was recently called too and I'm pretty clueless about the whole thing.

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post Mar 6 2018, 11:49 PM
Post #10
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 3,272
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Jüpiter @ Mar 6 2018, 11:41 PM) *
What do you have to wear for it? I was recently called too and I'm pretty clueless about the whole thing.

Just look reasonably smart. You don't need a suit and tie, but t-shirt and scruffy jeans is also not a good idea.

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Mar 7 2018, 12:02 AM
Post #11
Brown cow, stunning!

There's no guideline, I just wore a shirt (some days polo shirt) and reasonably smart jeans, there were people wearing all sorts laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Bré
post Mar 7 2018, 12:46 AM
Post #12
Mr Jade Lauren Williams <333
Member No.: 8,300

The idea of being randomly called for jury service actually terrifies me. Please forget I exist government. x

+Quote Post
Jüpiter
post Mar 7 2018, 01:28 AM
Post #13
you only love me on the internet
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 22,895
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ Mar 6 2018, 11:49 PM) *
Just look reasonably smart. You don't need a suit and tie, but t-shirt and scruffy jeans is also not a good idea.

Ugh, I hate smart clothes. I'm not sure I even own anything like that. Thanks for the tip.
Will be time to break out the black wardrobe and just go for respectable goth!

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Mar 7 2018, 01:40 AM
Post #14
Brown cow, stunning!

There were even people wearing joggers when I went laugh.gif Although everyone was glaring and probably thinking what on earth are you wearing. I just wore what I'd wear say out to dinner, when you want to look presentable for whatever occasion but aren't going in proper full on suit.

+Quote Post
vidcapper
post Mar 7 2018, 06:45 AM
Post #15
Paul Hyett
Group: Members
Member No.: 364
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Chez Wombat @ Mar 6 2018, 10:50 PM) *
So I found out yesterday that I've been selected for Jury service soon. I have honestly never done anything like this before and have been frantically reading around to see what it is, I gather it involves quite a lot of waiting and, if you are selected, quite the...unique experience. I have no idea if I would do good at this though, I'm certainly of the sensitive kind.

Has anyone ever done this or knows anyone that has? Any advice/thoughts would be greatly appreciated! (obvs I know a lot of this is confidential so more just days in the life/generally what it's like)

I've done jury service - it was right in the middle of that ultra-hot spell in July 2006! Fortunately the jury waiting area had A/C, but the courtroom didn't. sad.gif

You had make yourself available for a 2 week period (which wasn't a problem for me as I was out of work at the time). During that period I was called to serve on 3 juries, although in one of those trials, the defendant changed their plea to guilty, so it ended early. Both of the other trials lasted just 2 days, so there was indeed a lot of sitting around waiting to be called. If you weren't selected for a jury on a particular day, you were allowed to go home though.

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Mar 7 2018, 07:59 AM
Post #16
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 17,376
   No Gallery Pics

never been called for jury service. I put it down to my student criminal record - cycling at night without a light in an area where a student had been mugged the week before. Hardened criminal me.....

Either that or they have read my posts and just assume I'd find everyone innocent after arguing everyone round to my point of view laugh.gif

+Quote Post
vidcapper
post Mar 7 2018, 08:12 AM
Post #17
Paul Hyett
Member No.: 364
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Popchartfreak @ Mar 7 2018, 07:59 AM) *
never been called for jury service. I put it down to my student criminal record - cycling at night without a light in an area where a student had been mugged the week before. Hardened criminal me.....

Either that or they have read my posts and just assume I'd find everyone innocent after arguing everyone round to my point of view laugh.gif

That certainly doesn't work on me! tongue.gif

I'm surprised that no-one has suggested that I'd find everyone guilty because of the the views I've expressed on Buzzjack. laugh.gif

This post has been edited by vidcapper: Mar 7 2018, 08:17 AM

+Quote Post
gavindeejay
post Mar 7 2018, 08:35 AM
Post #18
Why do today, what you can do tomorrow?
Member No.: 7,645
   No Gallery Pics

I've never been called for jury service, but I think I would enjoy it being the nosy Parker that I am laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Jack
post Mar 7 2018, 10:26 AM
Post #19
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 223

I would low key love to do this just to get time off work tbh laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Crazy Chris
post Mar 8 2018, 06:55 PM
Post #20
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 53
   No Gallery Pics

Have never been selected. My wife went a few years ago though and, like Mavis in Corrie, wasn't selected. So she only went one day and was dismissed.

This post has been edited by Crazy Chris: Mar 8 2018, 06:55 PM

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd May 2018 - 02:38 AM