BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Artist News

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Is Frozen Madonna's biggest reinvention?
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Is Frozen Madonna's biggest reinvention?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 15
Guests cannot vote 
liamk97
post Mar 12 2018, 10:19 PM
Post #1
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 12,472

Madonna's widely regarded as the Queen of Reinvention, renowned for her ability to successfully find new ways to express herself and her music. With 'Frozen', she took critics, fans and the public alike by surprise with her mystical, haunting new sound and delicate, more skilled vocal, along with the mysterious, gothic image that was displayed in its music video. Is this the reinvention to end all Madonna reinventions? Outdoing her Like a Prayers, Eroticas and Hung Ups? Did it change her career the most and alter the way she'd approach her work from then on?

Discuss~
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tombo
post Mar 12 2018, 10:56 PM
Post #2
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 9,543

I'd go for Bitch I'm Madonna, it was very different to her previous output.

+Quote Post
vibe
post Mar 13 2018, 07:07 AM
Post #3
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 11,763
   No Gallery Pics

I would say Yes

Although Live To Tell would be close . That look and sound was not expected after the Like A Virgin era.

+Quote Post
blacksquare
post Mar 13 2018, 11:09 AM
Post #4
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 23,471
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Tombo @ Mar 12 2018, 10:56 PM) *

The album didn't actually sound like Bitch I'm Madonna or present anything different. It didn't really do anything and her career didn't change.

Frozen and the Ray of Light album was a complete reinvention. She managed to both change her sound, image, and finally get critics back on her side after a strained relationship during the nineties. I kind of view Ray of Light/Frozen like the self-titled Beyoncè album and how the perception of both artists changed after each.

+Quote Post
blacksquare
post Mar 13 2018, 11:11 AM
Post #5
BuzzJack Enthusiast
   No Gallery Pics

She was always a massively successful popstar but I really think Frozen and Ray of Light turned that into an artist worth respecting. There really was a shift in how people viewed her.

+Quote Post
liamk97
post Mar 14 2018, 06:47 PM
Post #6
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 12,472

I voted yes.

Whilst Erotica was clearly a huge reinvention and a big risk, I feel like you can trace a journey leading up to it, whereas Frozen/Ray of Light feels so much more radical. Her image was total different to the one she had built the previous 15 years, her new sound and her voice was unlike anything we'd ever heard from her - it was like a new Madonna was born. It's crazy to think there was just over a 5 year difference between Erotica and Ray of Light, yet one would be forgiven for thinking they were two totally different artists. Compare that to now when Madonna had pretty much stayed more or less the same for the past 10 years.

blacksquare brings up a key point about the shift in attitudes towards her, from the public and critics alike. Clearly she was always widely celebrated, but she definitely reached new heights of respect and perception.

It would be interesting to know how the rest of her career would have panned out had she stuck with Babyface for a new album.

+Quote Post
slowdown73
post Mar 17 2018, 10:48 AM
Post #7
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 1,031
   No Gallery Pics

I think “like a prayer” was probably her most defining reinvention moment for me. Frozen though is probably my favourite Madonna single though.

+Quote Post
slowdown73
post Mar 17 2018, 10:51 AM
Post #8
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 1,031
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Tombo @ Mar 12 2018, 10:56 PM) *

Yes, it was certainly different but not in a positive way. I feel like she’s lost her way during the past 10 years and seems to be attempting to do different things which don’t really suit her.

+Quote Post
Qween
post Mar 17 2018, 11:26 AM
Post #9
Miss Rodham, if you're nasty
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 11,709

Yes and no. In terms of how it reinvented her as an ARTIST and started her second imperial era, then absolutely. However, in terms of a contract to what came before then no. It had been a gradual softening for about 4 years from Erotica through Bedtime Stories and Something to Remember and Evita, so for her to come back with something more mellow, earth mother was less of a contrast than say the sparse electro of American Life transitioning into the balls to the wall dance of Confessions.

+Quote Post
Lapland Labia
post Mar 17 2018, 06:08 PM
Post #10
La la la la labialand
Member No.: 18,639
   No Gallery Pics

I agree that Confessions was her biggest change, but this probably comes second.

+Quote Post
dandy*
post Mar 17 2018, 07:33 PM
Post #11
Mansonette
Member No.: 54
   No Gallery Pics

Hard Candy was arguably a bigger shift from Confessions than Confessions was from American Life.

+Quote Post
Qween
post Mar 17 2018, 09:40 PM
Post #12
Miss Rodham, if you're nasty
Member No.: 11,709

But Madonna hasn't recorded a full album since Confessions? It's just been Celebration and a series of small fanmade EP's

+Quote Post
Hayzayy
post Mar 23 2018, 09:07 AM
Post #13
Who's Daniel btw ?
Member No.: 1,804
   No Gallery Pics

No

+Quote Post
blacksquare
post Mar 23 2018, 01:46 PM
Post #14
BuzzJack Enthusiast
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Qween @ Mar 17 2018, 09:40 PM) *
But Madonna hasn't recorded a full album since Confessions? It's just been Celebration and a series of small fanmade EP's

If only

+Quote Post
Tawdry Hepburn
post Mar 24 2018, 04:10 PM
Post #15
I'll find your lips in the street lights
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 51

QUOTE(dandy* @ Mar 17 2018, 07:33 PM) *
Hard Candy was arguably a bigger shift from Confessions than Confessions was from American Life.

A truly heartbreaking shift, if we're to judge the albums in their entirety. sad.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 14th December 2018 - 02:40 AM