BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Commuting
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Jack
post Mar 15 2018, 09:52 AM
Post #1
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 223

I'm due to start a job in Leeds which will mean a 50 minute train ride there and back - but at times may be longer.

Does anyone else have a long commute and if so, how do you cope? I'm used to having just a 20 minute commute at most :'(
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Midge
post Mar 15 2018, 10:00 AM
Post #2
I just think I'm neat
Group: Members
Member No.: 23,643
   No Gallery Pics

When I had my internship I used to travel that length of time into London and back again. Itís not bad at all to be honest. You get used to it. Either keep yourself entertained on the journeys, nap, or chat to those around you - youíll find itís the same people more or less every day and you might make some friends.

+Quote Post
Mack.
post Mar 15 2018, 12:37 PM
Post #3
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 12,915
   No Gallery Pics

Try and keep yourself entertained with listening to music, read the newspaper. Do things that you like to do when travelling. Hope that helps.

+Quote Post
Chez Wombat
post Mar 15 2018, 04:08 PM
Post #4
The owls are not what they seem
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

I have an hour and a half's commute to work so know a thing or two about this magic.gif While the early start and leaving time in rough and it does add a sizeable chunk on to your day, I've grown to get used to it. The best part is while it is super busy at the start, the place I go is at the end of the tube line so it's virtually deserted by the end of the journey!

I sometimes listen to music, read the paper or play my apps, but I like the break from looking at a screen, so I mainly use it to finally begin reading those novels I've always meant to read and never got round to it, I've read three in the last few months which is rapid fire pace for me *. It's nice to get a bit of your own time before and after work so just use it to chill out or just aim to do something you wouldn't have time to do elsewhere.

+Quote Post
BridgeCow
post Mar 15 2018, 05:51 PM
Post #5
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 23,860
   No Gallery Pics

I have about a 40 min bus journey most days to school, and I absolutely hated it at first, having to get up so early etc... but Iíve come round to it now, itís such good time to just sit and think and listen to music, Iím probably most chill sitting on the bus tbh lol. Listening to music definitely saves me tho, not sure I could cope without headphones

+Quote Post
Jade
post Mar 15 2018, 08:19 PM
Post #6
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Member No.: 12,810

Like Chez, I also undertake a commuting routine that lasts 1 hour 30 minutes each way! I chose to live at home while at University so I need to get two different buses to arrive on campus. It was a real challenge at first, I would really envy my coursemates when they lived in halls in particular and could just roll out of bed 15 minutes before a 9am lecture, while I would have to wake up at 6:30 laugh.gif but you get used to it after a while. It makes me feel a bit ill to read words when I'm travelling, so I usually listen to music on my iPod for the entire duration of the commute instead. It makes the journey a whole lot more enjoyable for me and helps to pass the time.

+Quote Post
ubɹǝɯbƆ
post Mar 15 2018, 08:25 PM
Post #7
Buy YES on iTunes
Member No.: 23,155
   No Gallery Pics

I have to take a bus for 30 minutes to get into the town centre, then itís a 1hr30min walk home. Itís a real pain.

+Quote Post
Dobbo
post Mar 15 2018, 08:30 PM
Post #8
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 20,053
   No Gallery Pics

I'm now only a 15 minute walk to work & it is bliss! Not only can I have "lie-ins" every morning unlike the majority of my colleagues but the best thing is I can get home nice & early and have plenty of time to do stuff in the evenings.

+Quote Post
Tawdry Hepburn
post Mar 15 2018, 08:32 PM
Post #9
I'll find your lips in the street lights
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 51

I have to commute about 10 miles across London to work every day (although the time it takes isn't actually that bad at all). Having to use the Central Line as part of my journey can often be a beacon of hell though.

+Quote Post
gooddelta
post Mar 15 2018, 08:38 PM
Post #10
BuzzJack Idol
Member No.: 116

Mine's an hour and a half each way (at least) from north to south London but very much hoping to move soon! It means I have to wake up much earlier in the morning, eat dinner a lot later than I'd like and go to sleep earlier than I want to.

But as my stop is the first on the line I do always get a seat on the tube so it's not all bad. If I had to stand the whole way I'd hate it a whole lot more. And it does give me a chance to read a book and listen to music before work I guess.

+Quote Post
Flatcap
post Mar 15 2018, 08:40 PM
Post #11
Foundry
Member No.: 27
   No Gallery Pics

I remember taking puzzle books when I had to commute by train.

Hope all goes well with the job Jack.

+Quote Post
Jack
post Mar 15 2018, 11:15 PM
Post #12
BuzzJack Legend

Ooh reassuring that a long commute isn't uncommon and that none of you guys have horror stories with it. The wage I'll be on will allow me to afford to commute, and I'm trying to look at it as a positive in that I'll be able to read/get stuff done - I may even bring my laptop with me most days I think so I can watch stuff too.

+Quote Post
Rooney
post Mar 17 2018, 12:08 PM
Post #13
WINTER IS COMING
Member No.: 88

QUOTE(Jack @ Mar 15 2018, 09:52 AM) *
I'm due to start a job in Leeds which will mean a 50 minute train ride there and back - but at times may be longer.

Does anyone else have a long commute and if so, how do you cope? I'm used to having just a 20 minute commute at most :'(

Where is your office in Leeds? The train station is pretty busy at peak times, just like most major city train stations but it doesn't quite have the space/ extra entrances Kings Cross/Picadilly etc. have.

My commute is probably about 30-40 minutes on a morning and 15-20 minutes on the way back, as I beat the traffic by going to the gym.

+Quote Post
lotita.
post Mar 17 2018, 09:21 PM
Post #14
feminist icon
Member No.: 21,777

currently my commute is a 10 minute walk (or 2 min drive if i'm finishing v late or the weather is awful!)

at my old branch it used to be a "half hour drive" (depending whether i followed a tractor or not could do it in 20) which i didn't mind too much, it was either a nice way to wake me up or a nice way to calm me down

+Quote Post
casey__
post Mar 17 2018, 10:53 PM
Post #15
equally cursed & blessed
Member No.: 6,654

door to door my commute is about 40 minutes, which i think it's pretty common in London. i really don't mind the travel - usually i listen to music - but now i'm reading books a bit more often. it's something you get used to and just becomes part of your daily routine. I hate travelling on the central line during the summer though. vom.

+Quote Post
casey__
post Mar 17 2018, 10:53 PM
Post #16
equally cursed & blessed
Member No.: 6,654

And congrats on the new job Jack! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Qween
post Mar 17 2018, 10:59 PM
Post #17
Miss Rodham, if you're nasty
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 11,709

My commute at the moment about 90 minutes in the morning and usually the best part of 2 hours on the way home. That's driving though. It's easily enough done, just makes days off/weekends all the more lovely.

+Quote Post
T Boy
post Mar 18 2018, 12:26 PM
Post #18
Radical Pink Troll
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

When I lived in Cardiff, I always had to get two trains to get to work.

Now itís a 15 minute drive which suits me just fine.

+Quote Post
SGrey
post Mar 18 2018, 12:44 PM
Post #19
Yoncť all on his mouth like liquor.
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 20,182

I used to have to commute to one of my practices when I was at uni. It was only 15-20 minutes on the train but I had to walk another 20 from the train station to school from there. In a way it was useful as I was able to finish last minute plans/resources but I also passed the time by trying new apps on my phone or playing Chess!

+Quote Post
Jack
post Mar 18 2018, 08:37 PM
Post #20
BuzzJack Legend

QUOTE(Rooney @ Mar 17 2018, 12:08 PM) *
Where is your office in Leeds? The train station is pretty busy at peak times, just like most major city train stations but it doesn't quite have the space/ extra entrances Kings Cross/Picadilly etc. have.

My commute is probably about 30-40 minutes on a morning and 15-20 minutes on the way back, as I beat the traffic by going to the gym.

It's with Jet2, about 5/10 minutes away from the station I think. I've done the commute for the interview and I found it to be okay but yeah v busy at peak times!

Thankfully it's a role which is v flexible about what time I finish / when I start so at least I don't have to stress about being late etc.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2018 - 05:58 AM