BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Predictions for the 2020s, show us your inner mystic meg
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Jade
post Mar 19 2018, 01:40 PM
Post #1
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 12,810

So, this topic entered my brain the other day when we were discussing what the 2020s should be called! What about the content of this decade though? What do you think will happen? Contributions can be as serious or as light-hearted as possible!

Right now imma go for the latter as I'm in a hyper mood, so...

I predict that 2020 will be the year that the NU SITE lands. Cautiously optimistic? who knows.

Then 2024 will be the year when pop culture is truly shook as 3 Of A Kind finally come out of hiding and announce a comeback for the 20 year anniversary of 'Babycakes'.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jack
post Mar 19 2018, 02:10 PM
Post #2
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 223

The optimist in me is saying that it'll hopefully be the time Labour get in power and in this decade we will lose Donald Trump too.

Watch it get even worse somehow :')

+Quote Post
danG
post Mar 19 2018, 03:23 PM
Post #3
danGer mouse
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

I think Trump will get a second term in 2020 actually, not what I would like but I think the Democrats will struggle with their next campaign following the 2016 shock.

As for Labour I think they'll end up in power come the next election (provided that there isn't another snap election anytime soon) after Brexit goes badly and Corbyn will either resign or be forced out before then.

And the new site... will probably not come in 2020.

+Quote Post
Brett-Butler
post Mar 19 2018, 03:34 PM
Post #4
Howdy, disco citizens.
Member No.: 10,455
   No Gallery Pics

By 2026, Captain Candle will be a multi-billion pound, FTSE-floated entity, having bought out Yankee Candle. Its three most popular scents will be Battenberg, Parma Violet, and Existential Dread.

+Quote Post
BillyH
post Mar 19 2018, 05:07 PM
Post #5
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Group: Members
Member No.: 6,614
   No Gallery Pics

Every decade since at least the 1980s has featured a backlash to the culture, music and fashion of the previous decade, and a "revival" of two decades previous. So we'll move away from events that defined the 2010s and revive the best of the 2000s.

Optimistically, this means that Brexit, Trump and Ed Sheeran will all be booted out as laughing stocks, and we'll welcome back the likes of European Unity, Obama, and Nelly Furtado.

+Quote Post
Chez Wombat
post Mar 19 2018, 05:47 PM
Post #6
The owls are not what they seem
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

If the Democrats get a good candidate, then we'll likely be free of Trump, even his own party probably wouldn't want a second term. That's not looking so likely at the moment, but here's hoping ay (c'mon Oprah).

Brexit will probably go completely terribly or (hopefully) will probably go softer to the point where nothing has really changed. Idk I don't want to think about where we'll be at the end of the decade.

It is also likely by the end of the decade I will be forced to move to Spotify totally :'(

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Mar 19 2018, 06:03 PM
Post #7
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 17,376
   No Gallery Pics

oh the 2 decade nostalgia is guaranteed (every grown-up with family & mortgages gets nostalgic for the good old days when they were carefree and young). Even the 40's was endlessly recycled in the 60's. the 50's in the 70's and so on....

the 2020's starts with a huge patriotic flag-waving frenzy as Trump is jailed and Brexit is hailed a major success.

The 2020's ends with America starting to recover from the damage caused by Trump and the UK sliding down the world-economy-rankings to just ahead of Tuvalu. The movement to rejoin the EU to stop the advancing Russian mafia bots decimating the British internet is in full swing.

the first "place yourself in your own copy of the latest blockbuster movie 60k Blurays" starts with Deadpool 7 offering the opportunity to be the first one to be sliced up by Ryan Reynolds. It costs £100 and demand is overwhelming as everyone hopes they will get to meet the still-hot Canadian Prime Minister Reynolds.

Fluoride in water and plastic bottle fragments in food and drink revealed to be the source of most of the later-life diseases afflicting half the world.

The last section of summer ice in Greenland melts and Ryanair starts up "Last Chance To See" flyovers.

Singerpurear finally win BJSC.

+Quote Post
BillyH
post Mar 19 2018, 06:11 PM
Post #8
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 6,614
   No Gallery Pics

I'll also predict what city Eurovision will be held in every year next decade, starting with a Bulgaria win for 2019...

Sofia 2020 (Winner: Malta)
Valletta 2021 (Winner: United Kingdom!)
London 2022 (Winner: Russia)
St Petersburg 2023 (Winner: Australia)
Sydney/Berlin 2024 (Winner: Kazachstan)
Astana 2025 (Winner: Kosovo)
Pristina 2026 (Winner: Armenia)
Yerevan 2027 (Winner: Sweden)
Stockholm 2028 (Winner: Sweden)
Stockholm 2029 (Winner: Scotland)

+Quote Post
The Snake 🐍
post Mar 19 2018, 06:15 PM
Post #9
Don't mess it up, talking that hiss
Member No.: 23,308
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Popchartfreak @ Mar 19 2018, 06:03 PM) *
oh the 2 decade nostalgia is guaranteed (every grown-up with family & mortgages gets nostalgic for the good old days when they were carefree and young). Even the 40's was endlessly recycled in the 60's. the 50's in the 70's and so on....

The 2 decade nostalgia? What are the examples of this happening before, just out of interest?

+Quote Post
danG
post Mar 19 2018, 06:17 PM
Post #10
danGer mouse
   No Gallery Pics

I don't like Trump as much as anyone but does anyone really expect he will ever be impeached let alone jailed? Would take a scandal bigger than Watergate and even then he'd still have his armies of loyal followers. The Democrats really need to get their act together and have an outstanding candidate and campaign for 2020.

Another Cold War (with UK also getting involved) wouldn't surprise me though if anything that could start well before 2020. Washington Post reckons it's already on now.

China will also overtake US as the world's #1 superpower if they haven't already.

+Quote Post
danG
post Mar 19 2018, 06:20 PM
Post #11
danGer mouse
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(BillyH @ Mar 19 2018, 06:11 PM) *
Valletta 2021 (Winner: United Kingdom!)

That's wayyy too optimistic. tongue.gif If we're ever going to win again it'll take at least half a decade for the BBC to start pushing winning contenders and probably another half for us to get lucky enough. But knowing the BBC that seems unlikely too.

+Quote Post
Iz
post Mar 19 2018, 06:39 PM
Post #12
l'etat, c'est moi
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 12,929

Robots and virtual reality being more prominent has been a common prediction for the next decade for decades, but I think we'll see the first signs of their upcoming grasp on the work sector and the entertainment sector respectively. In that automation will begin to have more things we'd describe as robots, self-moving detached machines to pick crops and the like, and virtual reality will finally be more than just a gimmick - there'll be at least one immensely popular 'game' that relies on telling its story through virtual reality sets.

Self-driving cars start to become more of a reality, especially among Uber and the like, as they finally free themselves of that little inconvenience of having to pay people, but also outside of that to privately-owned vehicles.

Politically, the US will have a one-term Democrat to follow Trump who despite best efforts is ousted by a more credible Republican in 2024 in response to a major crisis affecting the US around about late 2023, think Carter into Reagan but a real Reagan successor this time. The UK will go through the transition period with Brexit, have an election at the end of the transition period in which Labour win but continue to attempt to follow Brexit. A Brexit that never really takes off will happen, with economic instability still a reality well into 2022. This will last until the middle of the decade, with PM Corbyn stepping down merely a couple of years after being elected, having not done much revolutionary at all. Despite Labour finally making some good moves with the economy, the Tories will win back power in 2025, pledging to take the UK back into the EU (because that is what public opinion now says) and blaming Labour for their failure of a Brexit government. Scotland will declare independence in 2028.

Elsewhere, Korea will reunite by the first couple of years of the decade, ending the unprecedented drought of no major recognised changes of nationality since 2011 and South Sudan, Russia will be still playing their Putin's 2nd Cold War game that historians will decide properly started with Georgia in 2009, and may have initiated a conflict somewhere on the borders of the former Soviet Union while NATO stand nervously by and tut-tut. Catalonia will finally be given a proper go of independence in 2026, which spurs a small second wave of balkanisation across Europe, Scotland included, as well as the likes of Kosovo finally joining the UN.

Saudi Arabia will flare up into a desperate war with a weaker neighbour after they get done with Yemen and realise their oil stocks are starting to both run out and are less valuable for the West as the West starts to move away from it as a source of energy. China will mostly keep to themselves, although will economically begin to own us all, in competition with Facebook, Google and Amazon, who between them will know every single secret on the planet.

+Quote Post
Cody💧Slayberry
post Mar 19 2018, 06:52 PM
Post #13
check your thighs in the mirror... and i'm done
Member No.: 21,308
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Iz @ Mar 19 2018, 11:39 AM) *
Robots and virtual reality being more prominent has been a common prediction for the next decade for decades, but I think we'll see the first signs of their upcoming grasp on the work sector and the entertainment sector respectively. In that automation will begin to have more things we'd describe as robots, self-moving detached machines to pick crops and the like, and virtual reality will finally be more than just a gimmick - there'll be at least one immensely popular 'game' that relies on telling its story through virtual reality sets.
Not gonna lie, I can see that happening sometime in Q4 this year or Q1 next year

I'm also holding out all hope that maybe just maybe Kamala Harris will run and win but that's just the optimist in me

worst case scenario humans face extinction before 2020

+Quote Post
Doctor Blind
post Mar 19 2018, 06:59 PM
Post #14
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
Member No.: 7,561
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Iz @ Mar 19 2018, 06:39 PM) *
Self-driving cars start to become more of a reality, especially among Uber and the like, as they finally free themselves of that little inconvenience of having to pay people, but also outside of that to privately-owned vehicles.

Hmm, well the '2020s' does give you a lot of wiggle room but it's not looking good at the moment just 21 and a bit months from the decade and this happens: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018...n-arizona-tempe

+Quote Post
Iz
post Mar 19 2018, 07:10 PM
Post #15
l'etat, c'est moi
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 12,929

QUOTE(Doctor Blind @ Mar 19 2018, 06:59 PM) *
Hmm, well the '2020s' does give you a lot of wiggle room but it's not looking good at the moment just 21 and a bit months from the decade and this happens: https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2018...n-arizona-tempe

Actually, that story was what encouraged me to put it in. I don't think that that's going to be a setback, if anything, it'll ensure that safety becomes the primary concern for those looking to bring it to market. It's too economically valuable to die and the steps its made in the last few years are incredible.

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Mar 19 2018, 07:15 PM
Post #16
Honey I rose up from the dead I do it all the time
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 10,139

I feel like by the end of the decade, consoles will pretty much all be VR. Probably with the PS6, I doubt it will be the PS5 as we're probably getting that in 2019. And graphics will, of course, end up pretty much photorealistic.

+Quote Post
WhoOdyssey
post Mar 19 2018, 07:16 PM
Post #17
Oh wow, what's your band called mate?
Member No.: 67,771
   No Gallery Pics

One Direction will have a Take That-style comeback, with their target audience being their original fans who are now older.

This post has been edited by WhoOdyssey: Mar 19 2018, 07:17 PM

+Quote Post
Doctor Blind
post Mar 19 2018, 07:22 PM
Post #18
   No Gallery Pics

I'm hopeful for the 2020s to be the decade of Africa shaking off its many corrupt governments, its relatively poor healthcare and lack of infrastructure - possibly through massive investment and proliferation of increasingly affordable and sophisticated solar power technology and its abundance in the region to fuel a massive acceleration of technological advancement.

The sun is going in to a quieter period at the moment between the recent very quiet cycle 24 and the forthcoming cycle (25 - which runs 2019 to 2030), there is speculation that 25 may be even quieter but certainly the minimum (which is forecast to run from now until to the winter of 2024/25) is going to be incredibly quiet- analogous to the similar Dalton Minimum timeframe from the winter of 1806/07 to the winter of 1814/15 which produced some very cold winters across NW Europe and a drop in global temperatures - although that was to be fair augmented by two massive volcanic eruptions. Either way, it'll be interesting to see what happens over the next 6 years or so to our climate.

+Quote Post
Doctor Blind
post Mar 19 2018, 07:28 PM
Post #19
   No Gallery Pics

Fun additional prediction: The UK will continue to fade into irrelevancy - Scotland secedes in 2027 and rejoins the EU with young people leaving either to Scotland/Ireland or to the rest of the EU and all the ageing NIMBYs stuck in their houses (now worth an average of £46 tr, but hyperinflation has devalued the £ to a billionth of a Euro) suffer from a collapsing NHS which can no longer recruit. The Conservatives remain in government for the entire decade.

+Quote Post
Bré
post Mar 19 2018, 07:56 PM
Post #20
Mr Jade Lauren Williams <333
Member No.: 8,300

QUOTE(danG @ Mar 19 2018, 03:23 PM) *
I think Trump will get a second term in 2020 actually, not what I would like but I think the Democrats will struggle with their next campaign following the 2016 shock.

I'm making the bold prediction that we will get President Bernie Sanders in 2020. Either that or, if Bernie ends up being smeared effectively with 'hurr durr he's too old' (despite being only a couple of years older than Trump and not showing anywhere near the signs of senility he does), we'll get someone running on a similar platform to Bernie. Trump only barely won last time because of Michigan, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania which he won by tiny margins and he has become significantly less popular since 2016 across the country, I think unless the Democrats pick a spectacularly bad candidate again this election really will be in the bag for them. And I just think after the embarrassment of Hillary losing to DONALD TRUMP there's no way Democrats are going to make that mistake again.

Of course now watch Donald win by a landslide in 2020 because no scandal ever sticks to him...

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd April 2018 - 08:39 AM