BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Authority
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Q.
post Mar 31 2018, 02:36 PM
Post #1
always Qs in BJSC :)
Group: Members
Member No.: 7,132
   No Gallery Pics

I wanted to bring this discussion to the table as it's something that I do think about every once in a while. What are you like with authority? Talking both about being the person in a position of authority, as well as being "under" someone in authority in a situation. You don't have to go into large-scale situations if you don't wish, but even in general being "told what to do".
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
PeteFromLeeds
post Mar 31 2018, 09:08 PM
Post #2
I woke up and I'm still PeteFromLeeds
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 23,247
   No Gallery Pics

Going to high school really made me despise authority - I was the sort of person who never put a foot out of line and teachers yelling to shut up really annoyed/upset me, so I've sort-of got a grudge on anyone who tells me what to do (or more annoyingly what not to do). That's part of why I'm dreadful in positions of authority as well - I can't bring myself to shout or be stern at all so I have absolutely no controlling power of anyone.

+Quote Post
T Boy
post Mar 31 2018, 09:20 PM
Post #3
Radical Pink Troll
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

I never had a problem with people in authority when I was younger, be they teachers or my parents. I felt I could always see where they were coming from. I also had to learn to have authority in the classroom and now with extra responsibilities, I now have to show authority with the staff too.

+Quote Post
Q.
post Mar 31 2018, 09:23 PM
Post #4
always Qs in BJSC :)
Group: Members
Member No.: 7,132
   No Gallery Pics

I'm someone who doesn't like being told what to do (within reason) and also doesn't like to tell others what to do. Same goes for what not to do. However, I'm also the sort of person who generally doesn't outwardly rebel very much (there are exceptions, like when something REALLY rubs me the wrong way in the moment), even though it's not uncommon for me to disagree with certain rules and regulations. I'm very individualistic, and that goes for both myself and others, meaning I'm more interested in individual points of view than the general consensus. I also absolutely do not feel a desire to put myself onto any kind of authoritative pedestal.

+Quote Post
Jade
post Apr 3 2018, 06:28 PM
Post #5
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Member No.: 12,810

I always felt that I'd maybe crumble under pressure if I was in a position of authority myself, but my stint as an editor at University went really well recently. I made sure that I was really prepared beforehand with story ideas and setting up interviews and everyone seemed to respect what I was doing, which was super relieving. I went in with a plan and stayed calm and I think that relaxing influence became infectious for the whole team. I think if you at least act like you know what you're doing then people will listen and follow your lead. It helps to project yourself well too. As for the other way round, I like to be fair and respectful when someone else is in charge as I know that they'll be feeling under pressure. I am quite independent with my work and being told what to do can sometimes be a bit of a pain if I already had my own ideas (see: my hatred of group projects) but fair enough if the idea is reasonable. Any dislike towards authority figures when it comes to Uni has stemmed from if they're rude, overly strict or have unreasonable ideas. But these problems haven't been frequent at all and it was the same with school. So I've developed and maintained a polite and respectful attitude towards authority figures thus far in life.

+Quote Post
Riser
post Apr 4 2018, 03:22 AM
Post #6
My roof look like a no show
Member No.: 19,534

I'm generally good with authority figures, I need situations in my life to be orderly and under control otherwise I get overwhelmed if it's disorderly or chaotic. My job is somewhat of an authority figure and I'm still getting comfortable with it, I put a lot of pressure on myself to know everything and not make mistakes but I know authority figures are human and can't always be perfect. Thankfully I'm not the highest in command and can delegate upward to ease the pressure off myself. But a lot of times it's up to me to tell someone "no, you can't build that" or something similar, and for me telling people no is probably the hardest part about having authority!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2018 - 07:16 PM