BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Singles & Music Videos
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
SGrey
post Apr 10 2018, 07:39 PM
Post #1
Yoncé all on his mouth like liquor.
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 20,182

Inspired by the topic in the chart forum about whether video views should count towards sales, I thought this would be a more general discussion to have here. Do you classify the music video to a single as part of the "singles package" or do you not put the two together at all? Do you enjoy a single without having watched/go back to the video or do you need to watch and listen at the sametime to enjoy it?

DISCUSS & SHARE.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SGrey
post Apr 10 2018, 07:40 PM
Post #2
Yoncé all on his mouth like liquor.
Member No.: 20,182

I'd say I can listen to a single without watching the music video because I think I do that pretty much everyday by listening to my iPod on the go. However that said I do think watching the music video to some singles where the music video is so brilliant (Dua Lipa - New Rules, J-Lo - Ain't Your Mama and GRL - Ugly Heart) does make me appreciate the whole package altogether.

+Quote Post
Midge
post Apr 10 2018, 07:43 PM
Post #3
I just think I'm neat
Group: Members
Member No.: 23,643
   No Gallery Pics

The music video is an imperative part of a single - which is defined generally as a promotional tool for an album. Of course, we have standalone singles, which are promotional tools for other means usually.

The music video used to appear on CD singles along side B-sides as well.

+Quote Post
JosephAvery
post Apr 10 2018, 07:47 PM
Post #4
it don't mean shit if you ain't happy though
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 13,530

Music videos aren't 100% essential for every song, some work perfectly fine without a visual and some probably would've been better not getting one in the first place (Swish Swish for example lmao). However, it can totally transform a song for the better, most notably Iggy Azalea's Fancy. It took me a while to get into that, despite enjoying her previous singles, but the video totally sold it to me, and it became my favourite song of 2014. New Rules is another, a brilliant video taking a great track and making it stand out even further.

+Quote Post
Q.
post Apr 11 2018, 03:53 PM
Post #5
elusive
Member No.: 7,132
   No Gallery Pics

I can do without music videos for singles but I do like to check out the ones from artists I'm interested in at any point. I love a good audio-visual experience and lean towards preferring really artistic videos that don't necessarily have an action-packed storyline or whatever. Music is an extension of emotions and music videos are an extension of music.

+Quote Post
ˇʎpp∀
post Apr 11 2018, 04:13 PM
Post #6
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 2,666

Well it depends actually but I think visuals plays a big part for me when it comes to a top 40 music.

I remember in early 90's and beginning of 00's I really preferred watching videos over listening to just a song.

I guess not anymore, even though music videos are much much more accessible now than back then where you had to sit in front of TV and wait for your fave videos to be played laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Jade
post Apr 12 2018, 09:15 PM
Post #7
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 12,810

It was a shame when there seemed to be a particular phase of artists not bothering with proper music videos. Like Major Lazer feat. Justin Bieber & MŘ's 'Cold Water' just receiving a lyric video and Drake's 'One Dance' never getting a video at all. It was a clever strategy for people to stream 'One Dance' with the lack of YouTube presence, but still, it was a shame. I'm glad that Dua Lipa's 'New Rules' proved that the music video effect is still well and truly alive, all the buzz around 'New Rules' and its video literally catapulted her into a new height of fame that was greater than we ever could have anticipated. Taylor Swift's 'Look What You Made Me Do' music video had a lot of hype around it too in recent times and rightfully so, tbh (it's a shame that most of the subsequent visual projects from this era have mostly been style over substance though kink.gif). I do like a song to have a music video as I feel like visuals can really elevate a piece of music as they help to demonstrate the artist's vision more. It is a shame when a great song has a terrible music video but if that's the case then I'm sure it wouldn't put me off the song entirely. A lot of music videos for dance songs in the noughties were creatively inept trash for instance, but I still appreciate the accompanying songs as someone with a penchant for that kind of loopy dance.

Starz music channel 4 lyf

+Quote Post
Dexton
post Apr 13 2018, 05:58 AM
Post #8
Dexton?
Member No.: 25,045
   No Gallery Pics

I rarely watch music videos, sometimes they’re definitely worth a watch like Jade said (Taylor, Dua being big examples. Drake’s recent efforts are great videos too) but I generally don’t ever bother watching music videos because a lot of the time they can detract from the song itself, for example the Havana video being full of awful acting and being 50% random crap laugh.gif I hate it when songs stop in the middle of a video too for no real reason, like the random dog barking in the middle of Bastille’s Laura Palmer rotf.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd June 2018 - 02:49 PM