BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What do/did you want to achieve before you were 30?
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Maz!
post Apr 16 2018, 08:58 AM
Post #1
BuzzJack Gold Member
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 20,217
   No Gallery Pics

In my group of family and friends turning 30 is a hot topic at the moment.
What do you want to achieve before you turn 30 and for the people who already are 30 or over what did you want to achieve before you became 30 and did you reach your goals?

I'm already 30 nearly 31, and i remember my goals when i was younger was to finish my study get a job, buy a house and start a family .
I got a fantastic job,i'm renting a nice house and well the family thing is something for later maybe but not priority.
Do i have any goals? well yeah i would love to travel a bit more in my free time and see more of the world.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Midge
post Apr 16 2018, 09:13 AM
Post #2
I just think I'm neat
Group: Members
Member No.: 23,643
   No Gallery Pics

This is very relevant to me!

Since splitting from my ex 2 and a half years ago, I got very goal orientated and set a number of things I wanted to do by the time I'm 30.

(Useful tip: goal setting and trying to achieve those goals is a great distraction when getting over a long term relationship that has ended - or when you are suffering grief of any other sorts)

Going to Australia was one of the last things on my list, that has included learning to drive and passing my driving test; getting laser eye surgery; moving away from Reading; DJing (which I'd already completed before I went hard on goal setting); undertaking some coding/web dev courses... my last aim now is to get into a coding career in Manchester, hopefully by the time I'm 30. My 20s have been very turbulent with too much emotional baggage whether it be coming to terms with being gay, death of best friends or past boyfriends and loved ones, a boyfriend who was emotionally manipulative, pushing up the career ladder without knowing what I really wanted to do and so on. So I'm determined to start my 30s - which will be the best decade of my life so far - in a fresh place, doing something fresh which can drive me forward.

Goals you mentioned above such as getting a house, starting a family etc I think are more realistic goals for your 30s in this day and age. One goal I have set by the end of this year is to have a boyfriend (providing I meet the right person of course) - I'm now finally ready again so bring it on.

This post has been edited by Midge: Apr 16 2018, 09:18 AM

+Quote Post
lotita.
post Apr 16 2018, 10:32 AM
Post #3
feminist icon
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 21,777

I want to be in a really secure job/career path, with hopefully having an idea on where abouts I want to settle!

+Quote Post
Midge
post Apr 16 2018, 10:35 AM
Post #4
I just think I'm neat
Member No.: 23,643
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(lotita. @ Apr 16 2018, 11:32 AM) *
I want to be in a really secure job/career path, with hopefully having an idea on where abouts I want to settle!

I think that's a sensible aim; have you figured out what you want to do? (I don't know your age/where you are in life so my question might be irrelevant if you're already on the path!)

+Quote Post
Jαsє
post Apr 16 2018, 10:47 AM
Post #5
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 14,043
   No Gallery Pics

Start a fresh outside of the city I currently reside in, meet new + decent people (because if I sit and really think about it, ~60% of the people I surround myself with aren't good for me), and travel more (which I am doing to be fair)

+Quote Post
lotita.
post Apr 16 2018, 11:32 AM
Post #6
feminist icon
Member No.: 21,777

QUOTE(Midge @ Apr 16 2018, 11:35 AM) *
I think that's a sensible aim; have you figured out what you want to do? (I don't know your age/where you are in life so my question might be irrelevant if you're already on the path!)

Currently 20, studying politics and german! I want to work in business/an office but not sure which area. Iíve got a year long internship in technical translation coming up which will help give me an idea!! In my current job Iím doing some charity work for the supermarket I work for and Iím really enjoying the admin of that so itís also another idea

+Quote Post
Emily Haines
post Apr 16 2018, 11:48 AM
Post #7
Gunshot Glitterô
Member No.: 10,790
   No Gallery Pics

I'm 30 in August cry.gif

When I was younger, 30 seemed like such a lifetime away. It was the age of 'proper adults' - where you had everything together & knew what you wanted to do.

I got married at 24 which I didn't really think would be a possibility to say, 18 year old me (who was emotionally unavailable lol). We own a house together with a mortage. I'm undecided on children, but definitely leaning more towards not having them (husband thinks my biological clock will explode at 30 though haha). As for career, I never really had something in mind which I loved doing, so I've floated around in a few areas. I'm currently doing some Project Management work which is quite interesting.

Honestly, in the four months until I'm 30, I just need to focus on my health. I need to deal with my anxiety and my weight, in the hope I start off my 30s in better shape than I spent most of my 20s.

I'd like to travel more too - visit the USA & New Zealand, but then everything comes down to money. I don't see enough of my family as I'd like, but they live 250-300 miles away in opposite directions. I'd like to spend more time with them, whilst they're still around.

I've put off a lot of opportunities in my 20s due to my mental health and I don't want that to carry on into my 30s. I guess that's my main goal.

+Quote Post
Q.
post Apr 16 2018, 04:28 PM
Post #8
elusive
Member No.: 7,132
   No Gallery Pics

I'm just horrible with long term goals / plans! At school (and after... and now) I could never figure out what I wanted to do with my life. I had little ideas, but I think a lot of them ended up being "pipe dreams", for example I thought that because I "heard" intricate music in my head and enjoyed writing lyrics and wanted to express myself creatively, that that could translate into being a musician. Well, I tried but failed :') I've never even studied music properly (apart from one module of electronic music on a media course years ago) so that doesn't help! I bought some software a few years ago (called Reason) to try make music on it but it ended up being such a struggle and I'm not proud of it but I just kinda gave up.

I did want to get into a relationship at some point etc, and that happened so I'm happy about that happy.gif

I stand in my own way and I don't know how to get myself out of my own way. It sucks but it does feel like I haven't 'built myself up' properly, and I've never had a lot of friends to do stuff with and really 'live life' while I'm young (whatever that means). I have my moments but I want to create more moments haha!

(27 y/o here)

+Quote Post
Jade
post Apr 16 2018, 06:39 PM
Post #9
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 12,810

I am currently 20 years old so the thought of being a whole decade older than that is terrifying. Here are some things I have come up with nevertheless that I would like to say I have done before I turn 30:

- Graduate from University with at least a 2:1 classification
- Visit Iceland. Top country on the bucket list!
- Grow in confidence exponentially. Well... maybe 'at least a bit' is more realistic. x
- Have a job in the print journalism industry
- Move out of my parents' house
- Get back down to a more healthy weight for my height and maintain it
- Improve my level of self-esteem / believe in myself more
- Reconnect with my roots and become fluent in Spanish as I'm so rusty now :'(
- Overcome the horrible anxiety I get when travelling for good because it deprives me of opportunities
- Pass my driving test (although that requires overcoming some anxiety also)
- Have a pet cat of my own en el futuro (namely a British shorthair heart.gif)

+Quote Post
T Boy
post Apr 16 2018, 08:00 PM
Post #10
Radical Pink Troll
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

Eek, Iím 30 at the end of September this year! Iíve never really thought about having goals, I very much live in the moment.

I have achieved so much though. I have have a steady job and have had promotions. I have a house. I guess the only thing missing is being in a relationship although there is someone at work Iíve been interested in. I think she likes me too but is put off because sheís 6 years older than me. It doesnít bother me in the slightest though.

+Quote Post
Jack
post Apr 16 2018, 10:31 PM
Post #11
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 223

I've currently started a job I really enjoy as a trainer for a airline, so to continue that and progress and continue in the travel industry which is something I've always enjoyed. I would like to maybe get married once I am in my 30's - hopefully to my current boyfriend who I have been on/off with for about 4 years now but we are happier than ever, and get our own flat together in Manchester.

I would also like to visit Cape Town again as it was one of the most magical places I have ever been to, get my own dog and just generally be happy in life if that can count as a goal!

+Quote Post
Botchia 💡
post Apr 16 2018, 10:42 PM
Post #12
Lusts for Life
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 21,753
   No Gallery Pics

I know money doesn't buy you happiness etc. but I want to earn six figures by 30. I feel like all my planned goals are just geared towards that, it's so bad.

+Quote Post
°ʎpp∀
post Apr 16 2018, 10:45 PM
Post #13
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 2,666

QUOTE(Jack @ Apr 17 2018, 12:31 AM) *
I've currently started a job I really enjoy as a trainer for a airline, so to continue that and progress and continue in the travel industry which is something I've always enjoyed. I would like to maybe get married once I am in my 30's - hopefully to my current boyfriend who I have been on/off with for about 4 years now but we are happier than ever, and get our own flat together in Manchester.

I would also like to visit Cape Town again as it was one of the most magical places I have ever been to, get my own dog and just generally be happy in life if that can count as a goal!

Omg Jack I wish you the best on a new job...I just started working for airliner as well and so far so good...the travel benefits are tremendous, all those flights for free etc etc

+Quote Post
Cqmerqn
post Apr 16 2018, 10:48 PM
Post #14
Fuego!
Member No.: 23,155
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Botchia @ Apr 16 2018, 11:42 PM) *
I know money doesn't buy you happiness etc. but I want to earn six figures by 30. I feel like all my planned goals are just geared towards that, it's so bad.

Six figures?! I want seven figures.

+Quote Post
BillyH
post Apr 17 2018, 12:24 PM
Post #15
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 6,614
   No Gallery Pics

I'm 30 in five months time. Going back into my old journal, here's a quote from an entry I wrote back in December 2009, when I was 21 and still at uni:

QUOTE(BillyH @ Dec 30 2009, 02:03 PM)
I will be thirty-one years old by the time the next decade finishes. Maybe even more change will come, I could be married, with children. But that is far, far in the future because right now I'm at the pinnacle of my youthful years with everything ahead of me. And I recognise there is still work to be done. Could the next decade see me finally meet the love of my life? Could I get a proper paid job? Maybe even moving into my own place? The more I think about it, the more it worries me all. But no need - I'll just continue to live every day to the full and see where life takes me.

Nine years later, and...

Married = No
Children = No (thank god)
Love of my life = At various points I thought I had, but none of them liked me back. So no.
Proper paid job = Yes, lots of them! Waited until after uni for this
Moving into my own place = Finally happened in the last couple of years.

There's a ton of good things that have happened since then that I couldn't have predicted at the time though. I've had ten plays performed across London with an eleventh on the way this year. I've been in two Shakespeares (Merchant of Venice and Hamlet) and travelled around the world to 63 countries, including a couple of years living in Australia. This time a decade ago I'd only been to three (France, Spain and Ireland) so that's huge progress!

I'm still not as confident as I hoped to be by now but it's an absolute world away from me age 20, so some advancement has been made there at least. There's still more in the world I want to see, but I'd really like to find someone (anyone?) in my thirties and actually experience the whole relationship thing I've heard so much about but never quite succeeded at. I started online dating a few weeks ago and that's been going ok so far...maybe when I do turn 30 in September I'll be able to end both the year and decade on a high. We'll see!

+Quote Post
J▲hq
post Apr 22 2018, 09:16 PM
Post #16
i ain't scared no more
Member No.: 8,674

I'm happy with what I've already accomplished - moving to London, being in a stable career, have a fantastic group of friends. I think the main thing before I'm 30 would be to be in a solid relationship with someone I really care for. And to continue to travel as much as possible (following Eurovision around the continent basically!)

+Quote Post
dandy*
post Apr 22 2018, 09:25 PM
Post #17
Mansonette
Member No.: 54
   No Gallery Pics

Are you not with Joseph? ohmy.gif

I really thought you were!

+Quote Post
Tombo
post Apr 22 2018, 09:29 PM
Post #18
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 9,543

I have no idea what I want to accomplish by then, I am 25 at the moment (26 next month). In the past, I have had many times where I thought my life was going to go a certain way.

I moved to Spain when I was 21 and trained as a TEFL teacher, when I moved out there, I thought it was going to be a permanent thing but I ended up moving back 10 months later due to various factors. When I was at uni (well at least for part of the time) I wanted to become a clinical psychologist, then I had a phase where I wanted to be a Doctor. I've also wanted to be an actor at various times but I don't have any skill to back it up.

My most recent job I enjoyed was working as a hotel entertainer in Zante but not sure if I would go back to it as the pay is abysmal and you have to work pretty much round the clock, I didn't even get a day off (but I know certain other firms give you one).

For years I wanted to be famous too but realistically that isn't going to happen and their are downsides like being subject to a lot of ridicule and having people analyse everything you do in the media (and on forums tongue.gif )

I don't really know what I want out of life tbh.

+Quote Post
JosephAvery
post Apr 22 2018, 09:32 PM
Post #19
it don't mean shit if you ain't happy though
Member No.: 13,530

QUOTE(dandy* @ Apr 22 2018, 10:25 PM) *

He cut his hair so I cut my ties

(Nah we've just made like Anne-Marie and are better off as friends!!)

+Quote Post
J▲hq
post Apr 23 2018, 01:41 AM
Post #20
i ain't scared no more
Member No.: 8,674

QUOTE(dandy* @ Apr 22 2018, 10:25 PM) *

He broke things off when I refused to stop using your banner for the posters' chart sad.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd June 2018 - 08:10 AM