BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Powercuts~, issa spooky
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Bré
post Apr 16 2018, 05:00 PM
Post #1
Mr Jade Lauren Williams <333
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 8,300

So at uni today one of my lectures ended up being cancelled halfway through because the power went down across the entire campus and we were in a room with no windows so it just suddenly went pitch black. Spooky ~

We used to get powercuts back at home fairly regularly when I was younger but this is the first time I've experienced one for quite a while actually. Idk if it's just me but I kinda find powercuts a bit scary, just the fact that you're basically unable to do anything but wait for however long it takes for the lights to come back on and you have no real way of knowing how long that will be. I don't think I've ever had power cut off for more than an hour or two but it always FEELS longer than that. x

Do you get powercuts often where you live? Am I just a pussy and they're not really a big deal? Discuss ;0
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
awardinary
post Apr 16 2018, 05:03 PM
Post #2
The Navigator
Group: Members
Member No.: 21,587
   No Gallery Pics

There was one in Bristol the other day that meant having to reset all the electrical appliances again. It’s provably less scary now that we have smart phones with torches and other safety features if it happened at night. I have to say they don’t scare me but if they lasted an excessive amount of time I may begin to worry.

What’s the name of the strike that would disable all electricity including mobile phones and vehicles too? EMT?

+Quote Post
Q.
post Apr 16 2018, 05:12 PM
Post #3
elusive
Member No.: 7,132
   No Gallery Pics

I actually sort of enjoy them heehee.gif It's a weirdly satisfying break from the usual routine - something which I often like! I used to experience them a fair amount in previous homes of mine.

In one of my childhood homes, the power was away for like weeks at one point actually and it was kind of a struggle - we had an 'evil neighbour' (who also had evil dogs x) who had 'ownership' of our electricity for some stupid reason, and I think she was mad at us or something so she kept switching off our power rotf.gif Soon after that, my mother finally decided to get our own electricity system installed or whatever way you wanna put it.

+Quote Post
HausofTove
post Apr 16 2018, 05:12 PM
Post #4
Henrietta R Hippo
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 13,007

It's a good thing you did pre-reading before the lecture, so it being cancelled didn't affect your university studies laugh.gif

+Quote Post
BridgeCow
post Apr 16 2018, 05:17 PM
Post #5
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 23,860
   No Gallery Pics

I LOVE powercuts too lmao (although I’m sure weeks at a time would be a bit much), especially at night Cus I love the vibe of lighting candles everywhere and stuff, and the fact it makes my family have to actually sit down and TALK to each other is pretty amazing *.* but like it’s been a few years since we’ve had a powercut that lasted more than like 20 mins, we had one the other day but it was sorted in about 5 minutes lol

+Quote Post
Doctor Blind
post Apr 16 2018, 05:20 PM
Post #6
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
Member No.: 7,561
   No Gallery Pics

We had one after the heavy snow brought down power poles in the field opposite and I'd been away over the weekend, so it was quite eerie walking down the street with no streetlights on and all the houses totally pitch black. It was also absolutely freezing inside and all I could do was read in bed with a torch because it was a) so cold and b) there was nothing else you could do except sit in the dark.

You do get updates on your phone though from the power company and they tell you how long it is likely to be out.

I also had one at work where a lightning strike actually hit the base (gunshot thunder immediately) and you could hear the power surge buzz through the building followed by a total power failure - but that was ok because I had a thunderstorm that I could watch and it was about 20C and quite light at the time.

+Quote Post
Q.
post Apr 16 2018, 05:24 PM
Post #7
elusive
Member No.: 7,132
   No Gallery Pics

omg it's so funny, the 'evil neighbour' thing is reminding me how once when I was walking with my sister, one of the evil neighbours was walking past us and I said 'hello', and my sister was like 'you don't say 'hello' to an enemy!' rotf.gif

I live in the past way more than the present loool

+Quote Post
T Boy
post Apr 16 2018, 08:03 PM
Post #8
Radical Pink Troll
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

I seem to remember in early 2014 we got quite a few. I remember once being annoyed but then not bothered because I had an excuse to listen to Dido on my iPod in the dark for a couple of hours.

+Quote Post
Jüpiter
post Apr 16 2018, 08:04 PM
Post #9
you only love me on the internet
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 22,895
   No Gallery Pics

Powercuts are annoying! Luckily I haven't had one for ages, I wouldn't know what to do tbh! I do have candles luckily but they're just scented which might be a bit amusing...

+Quote Post
Iz
post Apr 16 2018, 08:31 PM
Post #10
benevolent overlord
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 12,929

There was one uni place I lived in where probably the most I ever talked to my then flatmates was when the building had a huge powercut. Mainly because it was night, dark and we actually had to emerge from our rooms to figure out what was going on and get maintenance (disclaimer: I wasn't a loner, just final year and my actual friends lived elsewhere).

I like having them I think, the interruption of routine, the unusualness of everything in natural light, it's alright. Except if it's cold, then no. A powercut on a nice summer evening is the ideal.

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post Apr 16 2018, 09:59 PM
Post #11
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 3,272
   No Gallery Pics

Some of us remember the occasions in the 1970s when we used to get leaflets giving us a schedule of power cuts laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Jack
post Apr 16 2018, 10:25 PM
Post #12
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 223

I remember their being one in Portsmouth AGES ago and it was quite scary, but I was working at Burger King at the time and didn't have to go in the next day *.* It was Summer at the time as well so that was amazing.

I think it was on a Saturday quite late night at night too - I would've been scared if I was in a nightclub or something similar. I remember there were burglaries and people got injured during it all. Purge teas.

+Quote Post
Botchia 💡
post Apr 16 2018, 10:29 PM
Post #13
Lusts for Life
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 21,753
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(HausofTroye @ Apr 16 2018, 06:12 PM) *
It's a good thing you did pre-reading before the lecture, so it being cancelled didn't affect your university studies laugh.gif

Were you still at school that year on the first day back in September when we had a power cut and everyone got sent home at like 11am because they couldn't get the power back on?! The most iconic start to an academic year *.*

+Quote Post
Riser
post Apr 16 2018, 11:46 PM
Post #14
My roof look like a no show
Member No.: 19,534

I live on the busiest road in the center of town so we're usually the first to get power back when it goes out. It's usually never out for more than an hour or two. I usually love it though for the break in monotony (as long as it's not while Big Brother is on which seems to happen a lot laugh.gif), especially at night when you can go outside and everything is pitch black, and getting to use all of the candles inside the house! Our power company has a phone number you can call that gives you an estimate of when the power will be back on, I would imagine that's a common thing nowadays.

+Quote Post
5 Silas Frøkner
post Apr 17 2018, 12:20 AM
Post #15
Surfing in paradise
Member No.: 3,474

It’s been a couple of years since the last one I had. We had two in the space of a week. One I was at the uni for, so had fun roaming halls trying to make sure the students didn’t riot in the power cut. About half our side of the town was down for a couple of hours. Then my folks had one for a couple of hours a few days later.

I don’t mind them. Few hours off grid to chill and read a book is never a bad thing

QUOTE(awardinary @ Apr 16 2018, 06:03 PM) *
What’s the name of the strike that would disable all electricity including mobile phones and vehicles too? EMT?

EMP - Electromagnetic Pulse

+Quote Post
awardinary
post Apr 17 2018, 12:23 AM
Post #16
The Navigator
Member No.: 21,587
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(5 Silas Frøkner @ Apr 17 2018, 01:20 AM) *
EMP - Electromagnetic Pulse

Glad someone responded to this, I couldn’t recall the term. Has that ever happened in real life before where all power both from the main power grid and battery powered devices, including vehicles within a radius, all switch off at the same time? Sounds like something you’d only expect to see in a movie lol.

+Quote Post
5 Silas Frøkner
post Apr 17 2018, 12:55 AM
Post #17
Surfing in paradise
Member No.: 3,474

I’m not sure actually. Given how pervasive the idea of an EMP has been in film, tv and games then it must be a thing that happens.

Although on a small scale because it must be very challenging to make a device big enough for a larger scale outage that would make the news

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post Apr 17 2018, 03:49 PM
Post #18
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 3,272
   No Gallery Pics

After the storm in October 1987 my parents were without power for two weeks.

+Quote Post
Jade
post May 15 2018, 08:47 PM
Post #19
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Member No.: 12,810

In the middle of a powercut in my house for the first time in years ohmy.gif my dad wasn't impressed as it happened just now in the middle of the Aston Villa vs. Middlesbrough game. But more importantly, I was in the middle of revising - rude! The world doesn't want me to do work it seems. My mobile data is going to run out any minute as well, why couldn't this have happened while I was napping earlier x mess

Edit: the power has now come off and back on three times laugh.gif apparently everything shall be fine at about 11.

+Quote Post
Mack.
post May 15 2018, 09:39 PM
Post #20
2018 World Cup fanatic
Member No.: 12,915
   No Gallery Pics

Had a powercut when I was in the shower in Finland and there was no power for 6 hours! This was in Lapland area. I was asked why I took glowsticks on holiday well they came in handy.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th June 2018 - 04:11 AM