BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> I'm Going Vegetarian, slowly
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Dexton
post Apr 17 2018, 04:03 AM
Post #1
Dexton?
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 25,045
   No Gallery Pics

Another thread inspired by Jupiter but with significantly less waffles, over the past week I've been beginning my journey towards being a vegetarian. For health reasons, economic reasons, and moral reasons I suppose all together I've wanted to do this for some time but kept putting it off for... well for no reason at all really. I was nervous about making such a drastic change in my life so I just kept delaying and delaying. But recent events and the general trajectory of this year for me so far have shifted the way I see myself and live my life.

Some people have the willpower to just make a change like this overnight, which is very respectable good job guys, but I plan to gradually cut out more and more until I'm comfortable with what I'm eating and have adopted a stable diet too. Step one is to cut out red meat (beef, lamb, etc. etc. you know what meat means), then white meat (mainly just chicken for me), then fish, and after that who knows!

I live in a house of 7 (including two small children) and prepare meals for most of the week so, whilst the spinach/mushroom/cauliflower/ricotta cannelloni went down a treat, I've already found myself having to double up on some meals and bring in substitutes for myself. Last Friday I made a smooth creamy chicken korma and a cauliflower/tofu/cashew korma for myself. Which was amazing btw who needs chicken?

Anyway I thought I'd share my "story" with you guys on here, and maybe even ask for some tips to stay on track? laugh.gif Meal substitutes, ideas, tricks, etc. etc. are all appreciated wub.gif Also to the vegetarians/vegans/alternatives on here, how did you "transition"? Have you grown up this way? What are your thoughts? [insert the many more questions i have]tongue.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JŁpiter
post Apr 17 2018, 05:47 AM
Post #2
you only love me on the internet
Member No.: 22,895
   No Gallery Pics

I eat a lot of veggie stuff but mainly because I'm too lazy to take the time to cook meat :/ hah

I started after I started eating vegetarian in restaurants and discovered it was often nicer than the meat-containing options. There's a lot you can do with spices, flavourngs, bases etc.

So certain essentials are really good based on what you like eating or normally would eat. It's been so long since I've based meals around meat that I now tend to base meals around a spice or sauce flavour and just throw whatever I'm eating into that. Mixes of things are really good like e.g. roasted vegetables PLUS salad PLUS coleslaw, even though that's multiple types of veggies at once, which can take your head a wee while to get round.

Not to be a stereotype but I do love my potatoes as well (lol) and cheese, and pasta, and pizza biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Dexton
post Apr 18 2018, 07:37 AM
Post #3
Dexton?
Member No.: 25,045
   No Gallery Pics

Yeah I've discovered veggie meals are generally a bit quicker to make because of the lack of meat laugh.gif I've had vegetarian meals out often before too, anything from non-meat nachos to pumpkin salads and I enjoyed them just as much as I would've done if I had say a burger or something.

That is a good point actually! Most of the time I've set meals based on "what meat are we having?" (and I assume most people do that too, that's something I've never thought about tbh) but transitioning onto "what sauce are we having?" is a bit part of it. It feels like a strange thing to do, substituting meat for veggies in a meat dish - essentially meaning I'm eating vegetables with a side of more vegetables laugh.gif I suppose that's the basis of this though and I don't have a problem with that.

I don't think I could live without pasta, noodles are life tbh

+Quote Post
Cqmerqn
post Apr 18 2018, 08:28 AM
Post #4
Fuego!
Group: Members
Member No.: 23,155
   No Gallery Pics

Good for you! I would love to go veggie but chicken kebabs <3

I donít eat red meat at all really, and I never eat fish. Itís actually revolting!

+Quote Post
Midge
post Apr 18 2018, 08:30 AM
Post #5
I just think I'm neat
Group: Members
Member No.: 23,643
   No Gallery Pics

Go pescetarian at a minimum, Dexton! We can then be diet buddies laugh.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2018 - 04:56 PM