BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Is Lip Syncing A Worthwhile Skill?, Hint: NO!
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Is Lip Syncing A Worthwhile Skill?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 21
Guests cannot vote 
Ronald McJackson
post Apr 17 2018, 10:05 PM
Post #1
BuzzJack Gold Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 9,543

I don't get the big deal about lip syncing, it is not a skill.

It is just some one moving their mouth and doing a few dance moves.

It is really nothing special.

At a local gay event recently, they had people lip syncing and it really is nothing special

I would rather see some one actually SING and use ACTUAL SKILL.

And like on RuPaul and stuff....
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tawdry Hepburn
post Apr 17 2018, 10:06 PM
Post #2
I'll find your lips in the street lights
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 51

Britney made a career out of it.

+Quote Post
Brett-Butler
post Apr 17 2018, 10:08 PM
Post #3
Howdy, disco citizens.
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 10,455
   No Gallery Pics

My only trophy is one I won for successfully lip-syncing to Meat Loaf - so I'd say yes.

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Apr 17 2018, 10:17 PM
Post #4
Brown cow, stunning!
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 10,139

It's about co-ordinating a whole performance, the dancing, being on beat, etc. so yes it is and if you are ignorant enough to just dismiss it then you clearly don't know enough about it laugh.gif

It's not supposed to be like a life skill to help you survive, I mean you could say singing or dancing isn't a worthwhile skill, but it's what some people do.

+Quote Post
Lindsey 🙃
post Apr 17 2018, 11:39 PM
Post #5
low-key, no pressure, just hang with me and my weather
Member No.: 21,176
   No Gallery Pics

It's entertainment, simple as that. It's like saying you don't understand dancing as it's just someone moving their body along with some music. SO WHAT?! It's fun to watch and if you take it for exactly what it is then there's no issue.

If you've got a singer that should be singing live lip syncing then that's a different story, but for the likes of drag race why the hell not?

+Quote Post
Jacob~
post Apr 17 2018, 11:43 PM
Post #6
Jacob Alan~
Member No.: 21,664
   No Gallery Pics

Like Lindsey said, singers pretending to be singing live but actually just syncing is a bit awful but as long as you're honest about it, it can be entertaining, done for comedic effect there's nothing wrong with it. "Worthwhile" is the wrong word really, it's not that serious, just a bit of fun. It is genuinely amusing to "hear" a voice opposite to the one you'd expect coming from someone's mouth, and the expression they put into it is basically a form of acting/ dance.

I mean, 99% of music videos are lip syncing anyway if we're going to go there.

+Quote Post
Ronald McJackson
post Apr 18 2018, 12:04 AM
Post #7
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 9,543

QUOTE(Lindsey 🙃 @ Apr 18 2018, 12:39 AM) *
It's entertainment, simple as that. It's like saying you don't understand dancing as it's just someone moving their body along with some music. SO WHAT?! It's fun to watch and if you take it for exactly what it is then there's no issue.

If you've got a singer that should be singing live lip syncing then that's a different story, but for the likes of drag race why the hell not?

I just don't find it interesting to watch and I don't get what they're bringing to the table as a performer. I would much rather see some one actually singing and performing.

I guess we all have different tastes though in what things we enjoy.

+Quote Post
Jacob~
post Apr 18 2018, 12:17 AM
Post #8
Jacob Alan~
Member No.: 21,664
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(TomboOnBroadway @ Apr 18 2018, 01:04 AM) *
I just don't find it interesting to watch and I don't get what they're bringing to the table as a performer. I would much rather see some one actually singing and performing.

I guess we all have different tastes though in what things we enjoy.
It's never going to make someone's career on it's own (well except Britney's apparently x). Personally, so would I. I wouldn't go to a lipsync concert, but I'd watch a short YouTube clip of it. It doesn't mean it's worthless, just not as serious, and that's fine.

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Apr 18 2018, 12:21 AM
Post #9
Brown cow, stunning!

It is "actually" performing though? laugh.gif It's no different to dancing, but many queens can't sing so just don't. Most prioritise comedy or beauty as part of their act, and lipsyncing allows them to add music and a different aspect of performance in their own way. Like a campy comedic queen could create so many characters based on songs and make it hilarious, perhaps in a paegant a queen would lipsync to Celine Dion or something and give us elegance. It totally depends on the song, the queen's own style, the show itself.... Many different things.

It's about feeling the song and embodying the singer. In drag, it's a part of the performance aspect of gender becasue it's like the queen is taking on a persona behind the song, so you have to feel the mood of the song, all the emotion and convey it with the right moves, being on beat, etc., there are some incredible lip syncs that don't even have much movement, it's hard to explain but it's so powerful when in a performance a queen manages to embody everything about the song. The below example is a brilliant case of this, she isn't doing shows and stunts and prancing about doing cartwheels and death drops, but it's so on beat and perfectly timed, she's feeling it all and there is so much passion (she being the one in the gold garment, not the prop bystander in silver x):

Besides, the amount of stunts and dancing that queens have to often do to make it a show, how many people period would be able to sing live on top of that? Not everyone has the vocal and performing powers of Beyonce laugh.gif It's nothing like miming at a concert AT ALL, going to a drag show is like going to say a cabaret or a comedy show, but it would obviously depend on the queen you went to see. They all sell it in such different ways so it's incredibly narrow minded to just be like "all they do is move their mouth!1!!!". If I went to see say Beyonce live and she did that, I'd be annoyed and disappointed, she's a singer, but most drag queens are not. If that isn't for you then fine but you're coming across as being so disparaging towards it for the sake of it laugh.gif I don't mean to come across so pushy and preachy, you don't have to love it, but I wanted to explain it a bit because you seem to think there's nothing going into it. It not really being your thing and thinking it is "worthwhile" are two different things. I really hate watching football for example but I can't say they don't have to do anything or it doesn't require being good at anything.

(tl;dr I'm too passionate about drag xx)

+Quote Post
Leonardo
post Apr 18 2018, 02:17 AM
Post #10
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 11,502

Lipsyncing is not a skill, itís actually several skills composited into an art form; dancing, acting, comedy, interpretation and also having good memory remembering how each word is delivered and when each beat of the song comes in, not something to be sneered at, I donít particulary enjoy football but I realises it takes much more skill than just kicking a ball into a net.

+Quote Post
Dexton
post Apr 18 2018, 02:31 AM
Post #11
Dexton?
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 25,045
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Leonardo @ Apr 18 2018, 10:17 AM) *
Lipsyncing is not a skill, itís actually several skills composited into an art form; dancing, acting, comedy, interpretation and also having good memory remembering how each word is delivered and when each beat of the song comes in, not something to be sneered at, I donít particulary enjoy football but I realises it takes much more skill than just kicking a ball into a net.

Lip syncing is just knowing all the words to a song. Usually if someone is ďperformingĒ then they will dance along or whatever but I see that as two different aspects of their act and not the same thing. In concerts, some artists like Pink sing and dance (and do all sorts of crazy stuff) on stage to make up their perfromance. Whereas others like Ed Sheeran are more mellowed out on stage and focus on the singing part. Lip syncing isnít much different, adding in dancing/comedy/whatever else to a lip sync is just expanding on the original performance and doesnít make up lip syncing as it is - just like say a magician in a talent show adding in a comedy element to his show. It doesnít mean that street magic always involves comedy, but this particular guy chooses to do so.

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Apr 18 2018, 02:51 AM
Post #12
Brown cow, stunning!

In this case it refers to the whole performance though, if I went to a drag show the next day I'd be like "I saw Trixie last night, her lipsync to Dolly Parton was insane", and I wouldn't just mean her lips moving, I'd mean everything she put with it. At least I think Tombo is referring to the whole thing as he mentioned "a few dance moves" and Drag Race plus this thread came off of some of us watching some of them on Plug.

I agree that merely knowing your lips and knowing the words doesn't take much skill, many queens on Drag Race have shown that and got eliminated for it, it takes more to really feel the song. And really that's no different to any performance really, you can always "feel" if the performer has passion whether it's a dancer or a singer or even an actor or comedian, and it makes the world of difference. It's like when you watch say some sub-par pub karaoke esque performance on The Voice compared to say Lady Gaga belting out a heartfelt ballad, it's a world of difference and it's what's put into it, the passion and emotion behind it. That's exactly what makes a lipsync good, just like any other performance.

+Quote Post
Cody💧Slayberry
post Apr 18 2018, 02:52 AM
Post #13
check your thighs in the mirror... and i'm done
Member No.: 21,308
   No Gallery Pics

We have to take into account that in the professional world, they are first and foremost entertainers. They have a certain artistry and they use that to entertain the crowd, whoever they may be. Lip syncing is just an extension of that. Anyone can mouth the words to a song but it's molding it into a performance that takes actual skill and creativity. I mean it doesn't have to be Lip Sync Battle where it's meant to be OTT but there's still a handful of creative prowess that goes into it. It's like figure skating in a way.

+Quote Post
HarryEzra
post Apr 18 2018, 11:08 AM
Post #14
Sit Down. Be Humble.
Member No.: 20,835

Lip Syncing is more than just mouthing lyrics to a song. As an entertainer you have to feel the song, convey it's message and entertain the audience if you sing live or even if you lip sync. Also when drag performers lip sync they often do 'stunts' such as death drops, splits etc they have to be perfectly timed with the rhythm and feel to the song. That takes skill in itself because too much of something can ruin a performance.

+Quote Post
Cqmerqn
post Apr 18 2018, 12:08 PM
Post #15
Fuego!
Member No.: 23,155
   No Gallery Pics

Yes, why not?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2018 - 04:56 PM