BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Screen Deprivation, Could you go 24 hours without looking at a screen?
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Screen Deprivation
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 22
Guests cannot vote 
awardinary
post Apr 17 2018, 11:51 PM
Post #1
The Navigator
Group: Members
Member No.: 21,587
   No Gallery Pics

For the sake of argument, and to help to prolong the lifespan of your vision... could you deprive yourself from looking at a screen for a period of time? That means no looking at your phone, not even momentarily, no browsing your computer or tablet and no watching television.

Have you ever actually done this, be it deliberately avoided a screen or by chance that you did, and if so how did it feel?

I also wonder would limiting or reducing the time spent viewing screens improve your physical and emotional health?

Discuss.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jacob~
post Apr 17 2018, 11:58 PM
Post #2
Jacob Alan~
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 21,664
   No Gallery Pics

I think I could if I had some time off, and often I really want a break from social media in particular/ screens generally but unfortunately the nature of my uni work and my method of keeping in basic contact with people requires me to use them. And tbf I do like gaming, watching TV/ Youtube a fair bit.

Even if I was away on holiday, had time off of whatever- I think I'd still want to check my phone a couple times a day at least to keep up with messages.

I have mostly cut out Facebook (only using the messenger app/ website for the majority of the time) and I barely use Twitter, only use Snapchat on occasion and don't even have an Instagram, it's helped.

+Quote Post
ʎpp∀
post Apr 17 2018, 11:59 PM
Post #3
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 2,666

I can do it and survive for a day without a phone, tv etc etc easily (that's what I think so lol) but doing the whole week it's just no. I would feel lost without any of my digital social interaction!!!

+Quote Post
Br
post Apr 18 2018, 12:21 AM
Post #4
Mr Jade Lauren Williams <333
Member No.: 8,300

100% no at least if I'm on my own, I'd die of boredom. I have to admit to being one of those people who can never stop looking at my phone oops. x Tbh though I don't really see the need for the stigma against that, smartphones / laptops / TV are just a part of life nowadays. \_(ツ)_/

I'm sure I've read that screens don't actually damage your long-term eyesight, they're not good for you in the short term because you blink less when you're staring at a screen so it can cause them to dry out and get sore (I think I'm so used to looking at screens all the time that this never happens to me any more though lol) but that's about it.

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Apr 18 2018, 12:36 AM
Post #5
Brown cow, stunning!
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 10,139

Yeah I find it a bit tiring when it's cool to come in and be like "social media rots our brains screens are evil!1!", it's just life. It's not necessarily even about an addiction, it's the convenience of just being able to check the weather before you go out, news alerts and stuff. It's of course nice to step away for a bit, and of course you always need to spend time with people to balance out, but it's just a part of our lives. I know "back in the day" people lived without them, but never having them and them suddenly vanishing are two different things.

It is an interesting question to pose though, I think I'd have to say no if I was on my own too. I could read for however long, but I think it'd just instinctively reach for my phone for the things we take for granted laugh.gif And I like to be abl to see the news and stuff that's going on as it happens, because we live in that kind of world. Plus then there's getting hold of people or emergencies, I know telephones don't have a screen and don't count but my student house doesn't have one kink.gif If it was like a hypothetical one-off thing, I would probably try it just as something to see my own strength almost, and it's probably one of those things where you would realise how much you use things and rely on them which I guess might be eye opening in whatever way.

+Quote Post
...ready for it
post Apr 18 2018, 03:50 AM
Post #6
Is it cool that I said all that?
Member No.: 1,454

No to both.

+Quote Post
Jade
post Apr 18 2018, 07:22 AM
Post #7
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Member No.: 12,810

Yes, I could live without screens for 24 hours. It would be difficult, like Jacob says I use my phone/the internet for basic communication reasons (especially being in a long distance relationship) and some of my University work requires online research, Adobe software or typing out an essay on Microsoft Word. However, I think I could do it for just a day - I'd just substitute these things with reading books, listening to records and maybe even exercise for once if I was by myself. A week would be way too hard though in this day and age, so a big no to that.

Also my eyesight has been screwed since I was about 9 anyway </3

+Quote Post
Iz
post Apr 18 2018, 03:23 PM
Post #8
benevolent overlord
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 12,929

Well I had at least a few days in India like this at the start. So yes, but that was only because of the company and because I was busy doing other things. If there's a reason for me to be doing other things, then I can do other things easily.

then there's me back at home where I have screens in front of my eyes a lot of my free time + whatever writing projects I'm doing this month. Here, probably would be very difficult.

QUOTE(Jade @ Apr 18 2018, 08:22 AM) *
Also my eyesight has been screwed since I was about 9 anyway </3

well quite. I had this 'screens will kill your eyes' thing from as far back as I can remember, but my vision has been not perfect for as far as I can remember and I certainly had very limited screen time in my formative years. It was already messed up.

+Quote Post
Chez Wombat
post Apr 18 2018, 03:31 PM
Post #9
The owls are not what they seem
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

I could manage a day, I mean it'd be tough but it would be quite liberating - you can go for a walk (sans music admittedly </3), read a bit and talk with people, I always feel better after taking some time away from a screen.

A week, probably not, given I need screens a lot of time for work and all.

+Quote Post
Dexton
post Apr 18 2018, 03:38 PM
Post #10
Dexton?
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 25,045
   No Gallery Pics

I could if I had to, but currently I barely go 24 minutes without looking towards some sort of screen because thats just the lifestyle Ive grown used to. Earlier this year I was going a few days at a time rarely using my phone for anything other than texts/calls that I needed to do, but then I started at uni and simultaneously started posting here more frequently so since then Ive had a rather unhealthy eye habit laugh.gif

+Quote Post
PeteFromLeeds
post Apr 18 2018, 03:40 PM
Post #11
Oh I may not be the best, but I'm far from the worst
Member No.: 23,247
   No Gallery Pics

I managed pretty much four whole days without a phone when doing my Gold DofE expedition, and tbh I didn't really have much issue. If I didn't have a whole day's walking to keep me occupied though I don't know whether I would feel differently, although I'm certain I could spend a day without screens.

+Quote Post
BridgeCow
post Apr 18 2018, 03:43 PM
Post #12
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 23,860
   No Gallery Pics

I definitely could but it would be very hard, if I was out and about doing something then itd be much easier ofc, but a day where Im just at home all day doing nothing then idk. Its just such an inter grated part of my life itd Literally feel like spending a day eating no meals or something. Im on screens all the time, wether its netflix on in the background or if Im texting someone so itd be so weird to spend a day without any of that, Im not really sure what Id do with myself, Id feel so out of touch with everything and stressing about my friends trying to contact me lol, Id end up just spending The day sleeping most likely lol. Id love to try it one day just to see what it would be like and whether or not I could do it, Id probably end up having a really productive day too

+Quote Post
Q.
post Apr 18 2018, 03:58 PM
Post #13
elusive
Member No.: 7,132
   No Gallery Pics

"Yes, easily" to 24 hrs and "Yes, with difficulty" to a week's worth.

I think about this a lot. I don't like how much time I've spent in front of screens, and there has been many a time where I've deliberately taken a bit of time off from it all, instead reading a book or even writing something. Admittedly during these breaks I will still often have the laptop turned on just so I can listen to music, but I won't go near it.

I start to feel physically uneasy (especially my eyes ofc) if I've spent an enormous amount of time in front of screens. I definitely need to retreat and recharge from it at times.

+Quote Post
PeteFromLeeds
post Apr 18 2018, 04:06 PM
Post #14
Oh I may not be the best, but I'm far from the worst
Member No.: 23,247
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Q. @ Apr 18 2018, 04:58 PM) *
I think about this a lot. I don't like how much time I've spent in front of screens, and there has been many a time where I've deliberately taken a bit of time off from it all, instead reading a book or even writing something. Admittedly during these breaks I will still often have the laptop turned on just so I can listen to music, but I won't go near it.

I start to feel physically uneasy (especially my eyes ofc) if I've spent an enormous amount of time in front of screens. I definitely need to retreat and recharge from it at times.

Agree entirely. I really don't like the amount of time I spend with screens, and if I'm pursuing a career in Computer Science it's not going to get any better. During the day I tend to leave my phone in my bag so that I only get it out if I actually need it and I'm not tempted to get it out for no real reason.

+Quote Post
Regina
post Apr 18 2018, 04:16 PM
Post #15
Raining Shitter
Member No.: 5,572

I seriously WEEP at anyone who couldn't do this.

+Quote Post
awardinary
post Apr 18 2018, 04:23 PM
Post #16
The Navigator
Member No.: 21,587
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Q. @ Apr 18 2018, 04:58 PM) *
I relate to this feeling too, it feels like youve been zombified or something! I think it can affect your emotional health too if you look at screens for large times during the day in that it can remove you from the reality of life around you. Also, I notice I can feel emotionally spent when Im doing a lot of typing or searching for something online.

+Quote Post
Q.
post Apr 18 2018, 04:49 PM
Post #17
elusive
Member No.: 7,132
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(awardinary @ Apr 18 2018, 05:23 PM) *
I relate to this feeling too, it feels like youve been zombified or something! I think it can affect your emotional health too if you look at screens for large times during the day in that it can remove you from the reality of life around you. Also, I notice I can feel emotionally spent when Im doing a lot of typing or searching for something online.

Yeah definitely. I sometimes also feel like there's an overload of info coming in from various sources and I get wrecked from it lol. #gettingold. Part of me would love to like live in the woods or some beautiful secluded place and just enjoy nature for the rest of my life biggrin.gif I'd still get an internet connection just in case tho kink.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th May 2018 - 03:42 AM