BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Anyone Else Cringe When Asking For References?
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Anyone Else Cringe When Asking For References?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 17
Guests cannot vote 
Ronald McJackson
post Apr 18 2018, 06:56 PM
Post #1
BuzzJack Gold Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 9,543

For me, it is one of the worst parts of the job hunt.

I absolutely hate going to bosses I knew in the past and asking them to be my referee for a new job. I usually don't even speak to them, other than asking this, and I feel like I am wasting their time by asking them to do it. Also, sometimes I have to really scrape the bottom of the barrel to find some one to use.

It's just really not enjoyable and I have never liked asking for them.

One of the worst was when I went to work in a summer camp and I had to go to my uni professor to get a reference and it was completely unrelated to my degree and not a graduate job.

And also since it's been so long since some of my jobs, the person I go to may not even remember me that well so it is always an annoying part of the job hunt.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Mack.
post Apr 18 2018, 07:01 PM
Post #2
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 12,915
   No Gallery Pics

No, doesn't really make me cringe unless they know something that you did at work that was bad. Although can be annoying if you haven't got many that you can ask for a reference.

+Quote Post
Jade
post Apr 18 2018, 07:11 PM
Post #3
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Member No.: 12,810

Nah I don't mind too much as long as we have a good relationship! I don't think I have been too much trouble for anyone thus far. My current trio of referees includes the editor of Your Cat magazine laugh.gif *.*

+Quote Post
Doctor Blind
post Apr 18 2018, 07:16 PM
Post #4
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
Member No.: 7,561
   No Gallery Pics

No, I don't mind.. I usually only ask people that I get on well with or have had a good working relationship with so that usually makes it easy.

The cardinal sin is nominating someone as a referee and not asking them first. I've had that happen to me before.. RUDE!

+Quote Post
Tawdry Hepburn
post Apr 18 2018, 07:22 PM
Post #5
I'll find your lips in the street lights
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 51

Yeah, the only reason this would be an issue is if your relationship with them had soured or you did something bad that got you fired.

+Quote Post
Botchia
post Apr 18 2018, 07:50 PM
Post #6
Lusts for Life
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 21,753
   No Gallery Pics

Not really, it's actually find it quite nice catching up with them when you ask them!

+Quote Post
T Boy
post Apr 18 2018, 08:01 PM
Post #7
Radical Pink Troll
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

Not at all. The worst they can do is not provide one.

+Quote Post
Chez Wombat
post Apr 18 2018, 08:17 PM
Post #8
The owls are not what they seem
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

References are just there to get an insight from someone that knows you professionally/personally, I've asked for loads before and it's never a burden. You shouldn't really get self-conscious about the type of job as all entry level and higher positions ask for it and the most important thing about a reference is that they know you so uni references are fine for first jobs etc.

+Quote Post
Q.
post Apr 19 2018, 06:42 PM
Post #9
elusive
Member No.: 7,132
   No Gallery Pics

I've never been in a position where I've had to ask for one. I think my CV just says something like "Referees available on request". I've had to get a reference from a previous landlord though, I just called him on the phone and he sent me the reference by e-mail which I printed out. But yes, I guess it was a little awkward cos I'm not always great at talking on the phone.

+Quote Post
Rooney
post Apr 19 2018, 06:53 PM
Post #10
WINTER IS COMING
Member No.: 88

References are just there so that companies can check (if they wish) that you have not completely lied in your CV. It's usually a generic reference and not a personal one as it's unethical to give a bad reference. So I wouldn't worry about it, just put the general payroll/HR administration services and they will provide a reference of employment. If anyone provides character references.

I suspect the process will die out in the future anyhow, it's needles administration work.

+Quote Post
Jack
post Apr 19 2018, 07:21 PM
Post #11
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 223

No, why would I cringe about something that's asked of all employers nationwide?! Strange it'd make you cringe. They won't give a shit.

+Quote Post
Cqmerqn
post Apr 19 2018, 07:31 PM
Post #12
Fuego!
Member No.: 23,155
   No Gallery Pics

How bizarre! If anything they’ll be pleased that you’ve come to them for a reference.

I approached my referees when I applied for my job and they were absolutely fine with it. Like someone said, what’s the worst that can happen?

+Quote Post
Iz
post Apr 19 2018, 07:46 PM
Post #13
benevolent overlord
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 12,929

I get where Tombo's coming from, I had anxiety doing this (except when just putting generic ones, which is what I generally do unless asked for now). It was just at the start where I had few and I was mostly worried about overusing my character references although I don't think most places follow them up until you're almost employed (or after in some cases). But it's all turned out fine and I have plenty of good options now for the future.

I have bugbears with them though, especially when references are asked for before you've even put in the first application or at a similarly early stage. Well, asked for to be used later is fine. If they indicate they're going to contact them before interview that seems needless busywork to me.

+Quote Post
lotita.
post Apr 20 2018, 08:11 AM
Post #14
feminist icon
Member No.: 21,777

I don’t think my references have ever been chased up laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Tawdry Hepburn
post Apr 20 2018, 09:04 AM
Post #15
I'll find your lips in the street lights
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 51

I remember once a reference got chased and they sent my previous manager a form which was REALLY exhaustive in its questioning, as in would take a long time to be filled out. I was just like... why?

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th May 2018 - 07:55 AM