BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Famous people using their platform
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Liаm
post Apr 23 2018, 12:56 AM
Post #1
Brown cow, stunning!
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 10,139

We've been having an interesting convo on Facebook about this due to Shania Twain saying she "would have voted for Trump" (which appears to have blown up out of context when she said he seemed like he related to people rather than seeming like a politican or sth, but that's not the point of thread rly), and it reminded me of the whole Dixie Chicks saga. If you don't know, there were absolutely huge at the time but they slagged off Bush at a London concert by saying they made him ashamed of America, and that one statement pretty much got them blacklisted in America, after 14 top 10s on the country chart in 5 years they just vanished pretty much, even their highest peaking pop hit Not Ready To Make To Nice had to get Grammys promo to do well as country radio was still blacklisting them 3-4 years later. Even in this era of cancelling any popstar who was remotely problematic at any point in their lives, it seemed quite ridiculous, a bit like the country version of Janet Jackson's nipple at the Superbowl laugh.gif

I think this is particularly a problem in country music, because of the aforementioned saga... For example Kacey Musgraves doesn't get much country radio airplay because her music touches on subjects like homosexuality and weed, despite critical acclaim etc., so the gays have claimed her wisdom and wokeness *.* Plus loads of the big artists don't speak up much in fear of doing a Dixie Chicks I guess. In the midst of the Shania stuff I noticed that a lot of the big country stars just keep schtum, but are probably assumed to be Republican due to their genre, lyrics etc. (such as Miranda Lambert singing about guns laugh.gif).

This brings up the wider question - do you think celebrities should be using their platform for their views? Another good example is the #MeToo movement, a lot of celebrities have been sharing their stories and making a difference. I think it can really only be a good thing in that sense, I don't mean forcing politics on people or anything or being OTT militant and letting it overshadow their music or acting or whatever, but if they can reach people and make a difference, I think absolutely. It's so important in things like #MeToo, the recent shootings, that celebrities can use their fame and reach to raise awareness, raise money etc., and it makes me respect someone so much more if they use their platform for good instead of just being all about themselves and a total fame whore.

At the end of the day they've got every right to have opinions just like anybody else, so it's problematic and annoying that people think "oh she's just a singer, shut up and sing", because Twitter warriors are so much more qualified to give their GLITTERING opinions on every issue xx
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jüpiter
post Apr 23 2018, 01:07 AM
Post #2
you only love me on the internet
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 22,895
   No Gallery Pics

Do I think celebrities should be using their platform? Yes. If they can afford to, and if they care enough to. I respect people who do, and I lose a LOT of respect for people who shrug and sit on the fence, or let things go on without mentioning them.

+Quote Post
Cody💧Slayberry
post Apr 23 2018, 01:24 AM
Post #3
check your thighs in the mirror... and i'm done
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 21,308
   No Gallery Pics

They can, they have, and they won't stop, no matter what the obstacle. It's just that SJW's are the devil's spawn and cancel anything that even remotely has a dissenting opinion. It's not a healthy lifestyle tbh.

+Quote Post
Riser
post Apr 23 2018, 02:00 AM
Post #4
My roof look like a no show
Member No.: 19,534

I'm pretty much all for famous people using their platform, I think it makes a big difference on matters that don't always get the attention they deserve. Half the people who complain about Hollywood being too political (or musicians, NFL players, etc.) are the same people who elected a reality TV show host to be president soooo whistle.gif

I actually just read about Jennifer Lawrence appearing at a school in my area to talk about how messed up the US political system is with the amount of money it takes to be elected and the endless cycle of politicians raising money to get re-elected...apparently she did a really good job and I never would've expected her to do that kind of thing, just one of many positive examples IMO!

+Quote Post
Brett-Butler
post Apr 23 2018, 07:53 AM
Post #5
Howdy, disco citizens.
Member No.: 10,455
   No Gallery Pics

Celebrities should be free to use their platform to promote anything they wish, and we should be equally free to no longer support their work financially if we have a problem with what they use their soapbox to promote.

+Quote Post
Jade
post Apr 23 2018, 11:08 AM
Post #6
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Member No.: 12,810

Yes I think it is important for famous people to speak up about issues if they feel passionate about them! Celebrities have the privilege of an enormous following compared to your average social media user. I mean, anyone has the potential to go viral but it won't happen over and over again, whilst millions of people have clicked the 'follow' button for a celebrity account, so they're likely to find what they have to say engaging and come back for more. As you say in the OP, it also really irks me when people act like celebrities shouldn't have opinions on subjects like politics, it is such a narrow-minded view. Little Mix for example have spoken out about issues in the world of politics and Jade in particular is vocal about trans rights, if anything these factors have made me more of a fan. Why should they keep shtum just because they're a pop girl-group? Famous people have the ability to really get conversations going and this includes for matters that aren't receiving much press, so it is pretty important.

+Quote Post
Tawdry Hepburn
post Apr 23 2018, 11:38 AM
Post #7
I'll find your lips in the street lights
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 51

Oh Shania. sad.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th May 2018 - 01:16 AM