BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Lil Xan, tastes like skittles
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
JosephBoone
post May 5 2018, 03:00 PM
Post #1
you never forget your first time...
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 13,530

One of the many "SoundCloud rappers" around at the moment, Lil Xan has proved to be one of the best surprises of the year so far for me. The most interesting thing is that I don't really know why :') objectively, there's not a lot that Lil Xan offers that other rappers might do better, but I've found myself going from enjoying Diplo collab Color Blind, to exploring a couple of songs from the album, to hearing the full thing and actually enjoying most of it. While parts of the album are undoubtedly quite shallow (and songs like The Man really highlight that in a negative way), we get moments where he talks about his addiction to Xanax (hence the name - a reminder that he beat the addiction), notably in Betrayed, his only charting song on the Hot 100 to date. From start to finish the album is perhaps quite samey, but I've been dipping in and out with certain tracks all week. My highlight aside from Color Blind is Charli XCX collab Moonlight as well as Betrayed and Saved By the Bell.

I expect he won't be a buzzfave by any means but if anyone out there is remotely curious, here are a few of my favourites to check out:

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
BridgeCow
post May 5 2018, 03:22 PM
Post #2
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 23,860
   No Gallery Pics

Color Blind is quite a tune tbh, but I've yet to have the desire to check any of his other stuff out

+Quote Post
JosephBoone
post Jul 6 2018, 05:01 PM
Post #3

Moonlight video is out, it's really stylish even if it lacks a little in the storyline department:

Also, the first song from his forthcoming Heartbreak Soldiers mixtape (full thing dropping Sunday apparently) was released last night:

Quite easily his deepest track to date, it's catchy and I can low-key bop to it but it's quite depressing at the same time. Really liking it at the moment.

Also I'm seeing him live a week tomorrow, my first ever rap concert... laugh.gif Excited though, I'm not sure what he'll be like live but I'm hoping it'll be good!

+Quote Post
JosephBoone
post Jul 20 2018, 08:06 PM
Post #4

You can listen to Heartbreak Soldiers here: https://soundcloud.com/lil_xan/sets/lil-xan...iego-heartbreak and Lies is now on Spotify!

Lyrically the mixtape is much more sophisticated than his album, he speaks in more depth about his struggles. Emotions is a notable favourite of mine, the production is sublime too wub.gif He's obviously no Adele and far from rappers like Kendrick or Drake, but I'd much rather listen to something less polished like what Lil Xan (or Diego as he's hoping to go by now) does.

His show on Saturday was lots of fun, once again he wasn't remotely polished or overly rehearsed like you'd expect at a Katy Perry concert but that didn't stop it being enjoyable. He performed most of my favourites, and hearing songs like Color Blind and Moonlight live was so good. Heck, he even did Slingshot and Betrayed twice each laugh.gif (and managed to start the latter early both times lol)

It's funny cause this isn't anything like my usual music but for whatever reason, it's struck a chord. Nice one Diego.

+Quote Post
Maz!
post Jul 20 2018, 08:09 PM
Post #5
BuzzJack Gold Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 20,217

Just listened to Heartbreak Soldiers with Joseph and had a throwback to the early 00s rap is used to listen too.
Honesty is definitly my fave!

+Quote Post
HarryBorelli
post Jul 20 2018, 08:11 PM
Post #6
The Lady Said Go Home!
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 20,835

I quite liked his album but not heard what I presume is a mixtape yet?

+Quote Post
JosephBoone
post Jan 4 2019, 03:49 PM
Post #7

So since I last updated this thread, a new mixtape was put onto Soundcloud - XANARCY MILITIA, quite the regression from Heartbreak Soldiers unfortunately. Even he admitted that the lead single, SLOPE, was pretty lazy:

Never been a big fan of that one oops. However, he's started his second album campaign now - Be Safe is out 3rd February, and lead single Watch Me Fall came out yesterday. I was a bit unsure at first, mainly because he sings it and his vocal capability isn't especially strong, but actually the production is brilliant and I love the sentiment. It's a bit Post Malone in some ways actually, which isn't a bad thing considering he's one of the best things (also, one of the only redeemable things) about the current US rap scene. A big step forward!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:49 PM