BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The 2002 Thread
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
ta-ra*el~la
post May 7 2018, 11:07 AM
Post #1
BuzzJack Regular
Group: Members
Member No.: 18,962
   No Gallery Pics

This is inspired by 2002 by Anne-Marie. It's kinda sad that the year I graduated high school is now long ago enough to have its own nostalgic song. But anyway, let's start a thread about it: what were you doing in 2002? Was it special for you?

For me: my charts started in 2002. I turned 16 and graduated high school soon after. It was one of the best years ever.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ronald McJackson
post May 7 2018, 11:11 AM
Post #2
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 9,543

I'm glad you enjoyed it so much, I don't really remember that much about it. I was 10 at the time so I must have been in year 5 and year 6 during it.

+Quote Post
UltraReputation
post May 7 2018, 11:13 AM
Post #3
I'm a mess but I'm the mess that you wanted.
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 20,947

I was 2 years old so legit remember nothing 😂

+Quote Post
Q.
post May 7 2018, 11:27 AM
Post #4
elusive
Member No.: 7,132
   No Gallery Pics

2002 was a key year for me as it was the year I moved country.

+Quote Post
mdh
post May 7 2018, 11:29 AM
Post #5
oh, the less i know the better
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 22,776
   No Gallery Pics

I think I was three - all I remember is that there were some BANGING tunes then and supermarkets seemed unbelievably different then to how they do now.

+Quote Post
Cqmerqn
post May 7 2018, 11:31 AM
Post #6
Fuego!
Member No.: 23,155
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(UltraReputation @ May 7 2018, 12:13 PM) *

This!!! laugh.gif

I was 2 years old too

+Quote Post
Q.
post May 7 2018, 11:33 AM
Post #7
elusive
Member No.: 7,132
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(mdh @ May 7 2018, 12:29 PM) *
I think I was three

are ya like forgetting about your year of birth lmao (I mean obviously you woulda been 2 ages that year but still haha)

+Quote Post
Liаm
post May 7 2018, 11:37 AM
Post #8
Brown cow, stunning!
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 10,139

I was 5 so don't remember a huge amount although we did move across Bristol in 2002 so I moved school, I remember being sad but excited. I obviously don't have many musical memories or anything (that started a year or two later) but 2002 did have banging music ofc.

+Quote Post
danG
post May 7 2018, 11:37 AM
Post #9
◢ ◤
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

I was four going on five years old so just old enough to be starting school but too young to recall anything. I think we would have gone to center parcs that year which I really enjoyed at the time but haven't been back for many years.

+Quote Post
Dexton
post May 7 2018, 11:44 AM
Post #10
Dexton?
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 25,045
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(UltraReputation @ May 7 2018, 07:13 PM) *

QUOTE(ubɹǝɯbƆ @ May 7 2018, 07:31 PM) *
This!!! laugh.gif

I was 2 years old too

Well that makes three for the reunion kink.gif

+Quote Post
WhoOdyssey
post May 7 2018, 11:45 AM
Post #11
It's not about reciprocation it's just all about me
Member No.: 67,771
   No Gallery Pics

I was born in 2002, so I don't remember anything! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Iz
post May 7 2018, 11:51 AM
Post #12
l'etat, c'est moi
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 12,929

A year where Sk8er Boi was the song of the year definitely stands out. I moved schools to a small village school in 2002, moved in the summer term of Year 3, I was very upset to leave but the new school turned out being a lot better. Very pleasant year from what I remember, had a holiday to Portugal in the summer, this is where I remember however much I took part in early 00s fads like tamagotchis and Yu-Gi-Oh.

And of course I remember watching the first World Cup I was aware of, and indeed, first televised football matches I was aware of, on projector screens at school/with my family's church. Only really the England matches (I thought we were invincible up until we met Brazil, having not really watched any football matches before this) and the final though, which is a shame because it was a fantastic World Cup for shock results and underdogs outside of that.

+Quote Post
Chez Wombat
post May 7 2018, 11:53 AM
Post #13
The owls are not what they seem
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

Gosh you're all making me feel old - I was 10 drama.gif I remember Pop Idol (especially that ever tense moment before Will was announced), The World Cup and England's loss in the semi final (and the subsequent low mood that followed at school that day after we were let out of lessons just to watch it *_) and The Ketchup Song and the Cheeky Girls just because.

+Quote Post
The Snake 🐍
post May 7 2018, 11:55 AM
Post #14
Don't mess it up, talking that hiss
Member No.: 23,308
   No Gallery Pics

In 2002 I was in year 6 of my primary school I think. Being from NI I was preparing for the 11 Plus Exam in Year 7, getting mock tests. It was a happy time for me though.

For me: my charts started in 2002.

Chart-wise 2002 looks pretty much incredible now in the UK, amazing year for dance music in particular with the whole euphoric over the top eurotrance trend (although I wasn't much of a fan of that at the time although I did like Kelly Llorenna's cover of 'Tell It To My Heart' which I heard first I think being played in an ice rink while skating at loud volume biggrin.gif). I think I remember hearing 'Beautiful' by Matt Darey and Marcella Woods too which I thought was nice enough but thought there was too much of a volume change between the verses and chorus back then and it wasn't poppy enough for me to really like either, I guess I didn't really get trance music. Obviously later in the year Scooter's Logical Song was everywhere which I wasn't the biggest fan of, a bit too hard dance back then for me. I really didn't like Heaven by DJ Sammy and Do that much either back then the over-sweet vocal put me off. Also the eurotrance covers of 80s songs that started to become popualr towards the end of the year I remember too, I thought they were bizarre, sounded too fast and a bit cheap back then.

In other types of dance, Mad'house - Like A Prayer, My Vision by Jakatta and Seal, Moony - Dove (I'll Be Loving You), Lazy by Xpress 2 and David Byrne and Point Of View by DB Boulevard and At Night by Shakedown I was fans of.

Aside from that, pop, urban and rock/indie also having a good year. I liked Eminem - Without You. Kiss Kiss by Holly Valance I did like but I was overcritical back then and I did find it a bit fake tbh with the Middle Eastern style instrumentation, as Valance obviously wasn't from that part of the world. laugh.gif I liked Oakenfold's Starry Eyed Surprise, I found the chorus very catchy and still do. Dirrty by Christina Aguilera was a bit rude for me in my young age I remember. Nu Flow by Big Brovaz I liked though and I remembered I was so disappointed with their other songs in comparison. I think I liked Coldplay's In My Place, but not The Scientist as I got bored with them by then as they were being played too much on the music channels. I thought Jennifer Lopez's Jenny From The Block was annoying but catchy. I liked Darius' Rushes, and like most people probably, I could tell immediately Sound Of The Underground was miles better than Sacred Trust.

This post has been edited by The Snake 🐍: May 7 2018, 12:34 PM

+Quote Post
BillyH
post May 7 2018, 11:56 AM
Post #15
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 6,614
   No Gallery Pics

I was thirteen and currently feeling ancient in this thread!!

I actually went off music a lot for the first half of that year as the Will/Gareth domination was really boring for me. But by the end of that year I was back into it - 'Nu Flow' by Big Brovaz felt like the coolest song in the world, and Avril Lavinge was probably my first teenage crush.

Best pop track of tbe year looking back is Freak Like Me, which sounded amazingly futuristic at the time (ironic as it mostly samples a song from 1979) and it's connected in my mind with a memory of being in Dixons wowing at the DVD players and digital cameras - two things we got for the first time that year!

Other memories include the Japan/Korea World Cup with matches that were on really early in the morning, meeting Tom Baker at a Doctor Who signing event in London (I was the only kid there as it wasn't back on TV at the time) and watching the first Ice Age and Star Wars: Attack of the Clones at the cinema tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Jade
post May 7 2018, 12:01 PM
Post #16
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Member No.: 12,810

I would have been 4 going on 5! I have a few random memories of reception, I had a best friend called Sarah who I would do everything with. I also remember being gifted a coin to comemmorate the queen's golden jubilee and I still have it now! Then, I remember doing the most random creative projects like joining a block of wood and the lid of a jar together by hammering a nail through them laugh.gif true art. I moved schools in late 2002 for year 1 though, as a brand new (brilliant!) school opened that was more convenient for my catchment area. So it was goodbye to seeing Sarah at school every day, emotional times. I think my musical memories started happening more in 2003, but we have some home videos that are so 2002 it hurts laugh.gif like me and my brother playing in the garden with Gareth Gates - 'Anyone Of Us (Stupid Mistake)' blasting out haha.

+Quote Post
ta-ra*el~la
post May 7 2018, 12:21 PM
Post #17
BuzzJack Regular
Member No.: 18,962
   No Gallery Pics

It seems that I am the most ancient person on this thread so far, but anyway, Sk8Er Boi, Heaven, Anyone of Us (Stupid Mistake), In My Place, The Ketchup Song (who could forget that one?), Sound of the Underground, lots of great hits. Would put 2018 to shame, really.

By the way, my favourite of that year was A Moment Like This by Kelly Clarkson.

+Quote Post
BridgeCow
post May 7 2018, 12:22 PM
Post #18
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 23,860
   No Gallery Pics

2002 was a very important year for me in that it was the year I was born kink.gif

+Quote Post
danG
post May 7 2018, 12:25 PM
Post #19
◢ ◤
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

that just made me realise, pretty much everyone who's a school student must have been born past the turn of the millennium by now mellow.gif us 90s babies are becoming extinct!!1

+Quote Post
Dobbo
post May 7 2018, 12:46 PM
Post #20
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 20,053
   No Gallery Pics

It was my final full calendar year at primary school. Went on a very fun family hol, the last domestic one iirc.

And one of the best albums ever Push The Beat For This Jam was released!

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2018 - 07:21 AM