BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> bakinG
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
danG
post May 7 2018, 02:00 PM
Post #1
◢ ◤
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

do you bake? would you go on the great buzzjack bake off if there was such a thing? share your recent cakes/whatever.

this is one I made for my mum's birthday, they call it a 'hummingbird cake' which has in it pineapple, banana and roasted walnuts. turned out rather nicely.

this one is a slice of lemon polenta cake which is really simple but rather nice too.

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Dobbo
post May 7 2018, 02:01 PM
Post #2
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 20,053
   No Gallery Pics

Ugh, got a work "teambuilding event" next week which is a bake-off. Never been a fan, prefer cooking myself but I'm also pretty shoddy at that.

+Quote Post
BridgeCow
post May 7 2018, 02:10 PM
Post #3
BuzzJack Gold Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 23,860
   No Gallery Pics

Quite like baking, but I'm pretty shit at it tbh, tho idk if I actually like baking or if I just like eating the product laugh.gif I've got some old bananas that I've been meaning to make some banana bread with, which I usually manage to mess up somehow whoops

+Quote Post
Q.
post May 7 2018, 02:20 PM
Post #4
elusive
Member No.: 7,132
   No Gallery Pics

I really should attempt this as part of my, um, trying to be like my ideal self thing I've vaguely got going on...

(I do cook)

+Quote Post
Dexton
post May 7 2018, 02:25 PM
Post #5
Dexton?
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 25,045
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(BridgeCow @ May 7 2018, 10:10 PM) *
Quite like baking, but I'm pretty shit at it tbh, tho idk if I actually like baking or if I just like eating the product laugh.gif I've got some old bananas that I've been meaning to make some banana bread with, which I usually manage to mess up somehow whoops

I love homemade banana bread wub.gif I made some banana/cinnamon bread muffins a couple of weeks ago that were amazing (not to toot my own horn or anything) we didn't have any muffin cases so I had to use folded up pieces of baking paper. They looked so rustic laugh.gif The most extra muffins I've ever seen tbh

Other than that I can't really bake anything right, it almost always comes out burnt or just wrong in some way. I love cooking and creating new dishes but a lot of that is experimenting whereas with baking you kinda have to do everything by the recipe for it to turn out the way you're expecting it to

+Quote Post
T Boy
post May 7 2018, 06:04 PM
Post #6
Radical Pink Troll
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

Canít do it. Food teacher never gave me more than 9/10 for anything and I always felt as though Iíd tried so much harder than those who got 10 every week sad.gif

Iím good friends with our food teacher though which has multiple benefits.

+Quote Post
lewistgreen
post May 7 2018, 06:23 PM
Post #7
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 19,585

I'm shocking at baking. The only thing I've ever accomplished is a lemon drizzle cake.

+Quote Post
Jay ☆
post May 7 2018, 07:01 PM
Post #8
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 3,217

Great cakes, Dan! Hummingbird cake sounds lovely. *.*

I do bake! It's one of my favourite hobbies. wub.gif I got into baking in 2011; I was inspired by a Lorraine Pascale TV series and the first thing I ever made was croissants (dove straight into the deep end with that choice!!). Prior to that, the best I could do in a kіtchen was cook ready meals. kink.gif Four years ago I attended a baking course for a few weeks, which was an interesting experience and I learned some good techniques!

I'm definitely nowhere close to being at a "Bake Off" level. I'd never ever be able to organise myself & have the patience required to create the showstoppers they do, and I'm not great at finesse (for instance, intricate piping work). I'm just into simple/classic bakes, i.e. cakes, biscuits, tray bakes... nothing too extraordinary or experimental! I've made some savoury bakes too, i.e. pies/quiches, although I'm more into baking sweet things.

I've been attempting to eat better recently, so I've not baked much in recent weeks. The last major thing I baked was my own 30th birthday cake ( laugh.gif ), back in February! I made a chocolate cake covered with chocolate ganache - probably my favourite thing to make (and eat x). heart.gif I didn't take a picture unfortunately, but the recipes I used are here: Cake / Ganache. Other faves cakes of mine to make are Victoria Sponge, Lemon Drizzle and Madeira cake. The most technically challenging cakes I've made are Gateau Fraisier (a strawberry cake) and Sachertorte (an Austrian chocolate torte), on the aforementioned baking course.

One of my favourite tray bakes is flapjacks, they're fun and quite easy to make. A couple of years ago, Bal & I both baked flapjacks (not together) while communicating via messenger - that was messy a moment. *.*

+Quote Post
Doctor Blind
post May 7 2018, 08:26 PM
Post #9
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
Member No.: 7,561
   No Gallery Pics

I love baking, my favourite thing is some pretty mean 'melt-in-the-middle' chocolate puddings that I can do. I usually do for the family at Christmas as it uses copious amounts of Brandy and cream. I don't have any photos sadly, but needless to say they are quite delicate as you need them to cook just enough to keep their shape but leave the gooey centre in the middle.

+Quote Post
Ronald McJackson
post May 10 2018, 04:58 PM
Post #10
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 9,543

I really like the sound of your cake Dan with all of those tasty ingredients!

I made a courgette cake a while back which was really nice (and super moist)

I used to bake quite a lot but not as much these days

+Quote Post
°ʎpp∀
post May 10 2018, 08:29 PM
Post #11
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 2,666

Yeah I don't do baking, and I wanna keep it that way because I fear once I learn how to bake then I might just bake a cake everyday lol.

I do cooking though and I enjoy it very much!!!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st May 2018 - 07:04 PM