BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> When does your youth end?, 18? 21? 25? 30? Other?
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
awardinary
post May 8 2018, 02:15 PM
Post #1
The Navigator
Group: Members
Member No.: 21,587
   No Gallery Pics

I always wondered what the answer was to this, because peopleís interpretation of youth is vague and I donít know when I should have gone from the classification of a young person to just an adult.

I used to believe that once I was no longer a teenager I was therefore an adult, but in reality I was still a youth. But now I am in my early 30ís I certainly donít feel young anymore even if some much older than me still consider me to be a young person.

I guess Iíll never know until Iím much older. laugh.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Q.
post May 8 2018, 03:05 PM
Post #2
elusive
Member No.: 7,132
   No Gallery Pics

I don't like the "concept" of human age tbh. It's all about how you feel. I dislike the age I am because I don't feel I "truly am" that.
I feel sorta ageless in a sense. I might elaborate later, on bus ~

+Quote Post
troublepink
post May 8 2018, 03:57 PM
Post #3
Beautiful Trauma
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 590

I think your youth ends when you want it to end.

I'm in my 30's too, but I don't feel old (at least not physically, sometimes its hard to get out of bed, but I think thats because of something else - not because of age!!). But on the other hand, I look at anyone under the age of 25 and think they're toddlers laugh.gif So I don't know. I don't 'feel' old, but I also don't feel like younger people today... I feel more like I am 19 when I was 19... this isn't making any sense!!...I would hate to be a younger person today, with all the pressures of social media, politics etc. I feel like it was easier to be a younger person when I was 19, than to be 19 today.

+Quote Post
Jay ☆
post May 8 2018, 04:14 PM
Post #4
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 3,217

https://yougov.co.uk/news/2018/03/06/how-yo...age-does-perso/ According to this survey, most British people believe the terminology of being young doesn't extend beyond 30!

Beyond this general consensus... well, I recently turned 30 and I wouldn't say that I feel that my youth has suddenly ended at this point. I mean, there's a lot of things I'm looking forward to doing and want to achieve. In that sense, I still feel a sense of youth and that I'm still on a journey to where I'd like to be in life! Nothing feels over, in fact I still very much like I'm towards the beginning.

This is a newfound feeling, if I'm honest. I felt differently throughout my 20s, dreading each older age I reached. There was a point that I was self conscious about my age in relation to my younger friends, and I allowed myself to feel "old" (which I now realise was such a ridiculous way of thinking at any point in my 20s). So in the run up to 30 I really was dreading it... but once my birthday passed, I actually felt calm and accepting about it in a way that I hadn't felt about previous birthdays. I think 30 has proved to be a good turning point, in that I've decided to embrace that I've made it this far in life and that there's so much left to do. I'm no longer going to allow myself to feel concerned about the man-made number attributed to how long that has been. cool2.gif I know it's inevitable that younger people (like, teenagers/early 20s) would consider 30+ as old or even ancient lol, but in myself I don't believe that and can accept that it's all relative.

Therefore, I'd like to believe that youthfulness is state of mind, rather than something based on a number. I don't believe that youth ends at a particular fixed point in time and that you've suddenly become old. So "when does your youth end?" - only when and if you say so. biggrin.gif

Age is quite a funny thing tbh. I still remember how I felt in primary school, feeling quite terrified of the 11 year old prefects. laugh.gif And nowadays, similar to what troublepink said, if I see sixth formers walking to and from school, I think they look so young! Whereas when I was a sixth former myself, I felt very mature and saw my peers in the same light.

+Quote Post
awardinary
post May 8 2018, 05:47 PM
Post #5
The Navigator
   No Gallery Pics

Thanks for the insightful comments!

Itís always been something Iíve struggled to get my head around, but as Jay said, itís not really a concept you can give a number to, even if the general public do.

I wonder though, if asked this question when you were 10 years younger letís say, if you would have still felt the same way. laugh.gif

I guess when I say I feel my youth is over that I feel Iíve missed a lot of opportunities in my life, and naturally have regrets. I do wish I was a lot further ahead at this point in my life by being in a long-term relationship or married, and owning my own house. But Iím still yet to realise those things, and my defeatist attitude is that the ship has sailed past me so to speak, and I have to settle with who I a man and what I have. I admit, itís not a great way to live, but I donít feel I have a choice in the matter really, and I donít like to get my hopes up when thereís no certainty of a positive outcome.

Going back to the theme of this thread, and based on the comments. youth must then be ageless. Itís undefinable.

I wonder how old the oldest man or woman is to have still felt youthful...

I guess I wish everyone on BuzzJack a continued happy and fulfilling youth! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
T Boy
post May 8 2018, 05:57 PM
Post #6
Radical Pink Troll
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

I honestly feel like youth is actually overrated. I stop dreading birthdays when I turned 24 and donít give a f*** about being less than 5 months away from 30. A lot of young people just look like morons to me so Iím kind of glad Iím not that young anymore. Having said that, Iíve always felt older than my years even when I was a teenager. Thereís way too much focus on being young in the world today. Radio 1 chasing a younger audience, older artists not getting airplay, etc.

I remember in the grand old days of Pop Idol, a 16 year old contestant was WOW but now itís the norm. Heck the Spice Girls were all 20+ when they first hit big.

As a result of this shift, people in their 20s are needlessly feeling ancient and crap about themselves just because theyíre naturally aging.

+Quote Post
Jade
post May 8 2018, 06:01 PM
Post #7
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Member No.: 12,810

Well screw society, because I plan on maintaining a youthful spirit for as long as I possibly can! Age is just a number.

(I am more like a child and a granny at the same time but still)

+Quote Post
mdh
post May 8 2018, 06:08 PM
Post #8
oh, the less i know the better
Member No.: 22,776
   No Gallery Pics

I can't see myself feeling old or past my youth at any point in the future tbh - last thing I want to be doing is dedicating my life to a shite dead end job in an office or something, which is what I'd probably end up doing if I let go of my youthfulness. Already done that for a year and as long as I live I swear I'll NEVER end up in a shithole like that again.

Looking at most adults these days (especially those over 40), I think, christ, how is it possible to be so miserable and cynical? I've sworn to myself I'll never end up like that - living life without a sense of fun (entirely focused on earning money instead of making memories and experiences) is the bane of tragic in my eyes, it's great to have goals in life but being work-focused to the point you literally function like a robot is my idea of hell. I'm going to try my very best to steer away from becoming another slave to the system while I still can - so, ideally my youth won't end for a good decade yet wink.gif

+Quote Post
Doctor Blind
post May 8 2018, 07:38 PM
Post #9
#38BBE0 otherwise known as 'sky blue'
Member No.: 7,561
   No Gallery Pics

I think that the period we define as Ďyouthí has gradually been extended over the past decade or so.. I think that is down to a number of factors but principally it'll be things like a higher proportion of young people remaining in education through until at least 21, the average age that people get married and have children delayed by around 10 years since 1968, and young people continuing to live at home well into their 20s because they either cannot afford to buy (and are saving up for a deposit) or even to rent.

I expect it could also be related to life expectancy increasing and therefore everything moving later.

Traditionally I think the definition would describe those aged 18-30, but our Union at work has recently started including up to age 35 in its Young Workers Group and the Young Person's Railcard has gone up (in a trial) from 25 to 30. So it's a bit of a woolly answer but I think it is constantly evolving and at the moment increasing, for all the reasons listed above and more. In truth, it depends on how you feel though - I like to think that I am still quite youthful and I'm 32!

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post May 8 2018, 08:01 PM
Post #10
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 17,376
   No Gallery Pics

I dont really feel much different at 60 then i did at 20, despite all evidence to the contrary (and I'm old to nephews and nieces, never mind "young"). A bit more cynical than I was then, more self-confident, less selfish, more experienced in life...but I'm still the same basic person, and I still like the same stuff I liked then: pop music, sci-fi, natural world. So, I feel adult now but I didn't really feel that way till way past 40. So for me I guess 40 was the killer kick up the arse to go out and do stuff like clubbing, face up to me instead of hiding from me, cos I realised I had less time ahead than behind me left to do all the stuff I still havent gotten round to doing...

+Quote Post
awardinary
post May 8 2018, 08:23 PM
Post #11
The Navigator
   No Gallery Pics

Also as a side point, I guess the term ďmiddle-agedĒ generally refers to people aged 45-55 as a ballpark figure?

I think the law of averages suggests people who have a ďmid-life crisisĒ are around that age.

+Quote Post
JŁpiter
post May 8 2018, 09:29 PM
Post #12
you only love me on the internet
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 22,895
   No Gallery Pics

30ish?

I don't like the modern conception of 'young people' though in society, because it seems like a byword for or excuse to treat people of a certain age as less deserving or lesser-than. I may still be a 'young person', but I've been an adult since I turned 18 and since I got my own place hundreds of miles away from any family. Don't see how that entitles me to be paid less for the same work as someone in their mid 20s, or be ineligible for housing benefit, or treated like a child in other ways.

I think this is especially because I'm from a community where it's really not unusual at all for people to be married and starting their own families by early 20s. Apparently these people aren't entitled to a 'living wage' though because sure all under 25s are 'young people' who live with their parents nowadays?? Sorry, but no, that's not true to life.

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post May 8 2018, 11:38 PM
Post #13
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 3,272
   No Gallery Pics

Age is just a number - it's just that for some of us it's quite a large number cry.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th May 2018 - 08:02 AM