BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Site News

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread
> Alex Strangelove, 8th June • Netflix Original
Track this thread - Email this thread - Print this thread - Download this thread - Subscribe to this forum
Theonix
post May 9 2018, 09:36 PM
Post #1
Group icon
BUY Phoenix on Amazon / STREAM Phoenix on Spotify
User: 8,661

The trailer for Netflix's new coming out/coming of age film 'Alex Strangelove' premiered today.

I'm looking forward to seeing this, especially to compare it with 'Love, Simon' which is obviously still very fresh. You wait years for a mainstream LGBT movie and two come along at once!
Go to the top of this page

+Quote this post
lewistgreen
post Jun 16 2018, 01:00 PM
Post #2
Group icon
BuzzJack Legend
Pronouns: he/him
User: 19,585
Anyone watched this yet?

I watched it last night. Great film with some comedic moments; it just made me feel good about myself laugh.gif

+Quote this post
HarryBorelli
post Jun 16 2018, 01:11 PM
Post #3
Group icon
The Lady Said Go Home!
Pronouns: He/Him
User: 20,835
This was such a feel-good movie like Love, Simon was <3. I watched it the other day and thought it was brilliant. Highly recommend it.

+Quote this post
JosephBoone
post Jun 16 2018, 06:33 PM
Post #4
Group icon
you never forget your first time...
User: 13,530
(spoilers may lie ahead, be warned)

Gave this a watch last weekend and I absolutely adored it. It's easy to compare to Love, Simon and quite natural to do so, and thankfully both films very much stand on their own feet. There's similarities of course but enough differences for both films to exist without stepping on each other's toes.

Alex is totally adorable and his struggle is relatable - I know the kind of emotions he felt towards Claire even if I never actually got into a straight relationship myself. The denial is all too true. Alex and Elliott were so cute together too, I was rooting for them very early on and I was getting anxious towards the end at the prom laugh.gif It was lovely to see Claire being so accepting of Alex in the end too.

Hoping to rewatch this weekend wub.gif

+Quote this post
Tombo
post Jun 16 2018, 07:11 PM
Post #5
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 9,543
I nearly watched this earlier today but I ended up going for God's Own Country instead and I really enjoyed it.

+Quote this post
-Jay-
post Aug 27 2018, 06:32 PM
Post #6
Group icon
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
User: 3,217
Watched this a couple of months ago and really enjoyed it! Amusing and feel-good. A strong Rotten Tomatoes score too, 86%.

I echo all of Joseph's positive comments - I really liked how it focused on how much of a struggle the coming out process can be i.e. being able to accept yourself for who you are. My only niggle with the movie is that I wish there had been a couple more scenes involving Alex and Elliot - because their reunion at the end felt a little rushed to me, after a long lull of no contact. There was so much chemistry between them! Just would have been nice to see a bit more of that.

Also: MUNA's appearance *.*

+Quote this post
diva thin muffin
post Aug 30 2018, 10:55 AM
Post #7
Group icon
BuzzJack Platinum Member
User: 12,837
Damn surprised to see everyone liked this so much because I absolutely hated this movie laugh.gif the main character was so unlikable and he basically treated everyone around him like dirt (especially both his love interests) and actually featured some very homophobic moments (Alex's friends being very problematic for one).

+Quote this post

Post reply to this threadCreate a new thread

1 users are reading this thread (1 guests and 0 anonymous users)
0 members:

Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:56 PM