BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Using Buzzjack on your CV, has anybody done this?
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
ML Hammer95
post May 10 2018, 12:39 PM
Post #1
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 21,265
   No Gallery Pics

Currently updating my CV and starting to think about employment after university. I'm quite interested in the editor/publishing field and am quite tempted to list being a Buzzjack moderator under my hobbies and interests. Seeing as I am an active mod of the R&B forum, I think this would go down quite well and make myself stand out a bit.

Has anybody else done/considered doing this?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tawdry Hepburn
post May 10 2018, 12:50 PM
Post #2
I'll find your lips in the street lights
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 51

I wouldn't even dream of doing that, personally.

+Quote Post
Lindsey 🙃
post May 10 2018, 12:53 PM
Post #3
low-key, no pressure, just hang with me and my weather
Member No.: 21,176
   No Gallery Pics

Nope and I probably won't unless I'm asked about my interests I might say I enjoy online social media and discussion forums but nothing as specific as I am a moderator of multiple forums on buzzjack.com laugh.gif

+Quote Post
lotita.
post May 10 2018, 12:54 PM
Post #4
feminist icon
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 21,777

I don’t want employers to stalk my BJ account tbh

+Quote Post
Dobbo
post May 10 2018, 01:02 PM
Post #5
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 20,053
   No Gallery Pics

Absolutely no way for me. I may mention I have been/ was a moderator of a forum but nothing more specific.

+Quote Post
Emily Haines
post May 10 2018, 01:08 PM
Post #6
Gunshot Glitter™
Group: Members
Member No.: 10,790
   No Gallery Pics

It's a no from me. Running your own website/blog is a potential option but I wouldn't put down moderating.

+Quote Post
danG
post May 10 2018, 01:19 PM
Post #7
◢ ◤
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

I definitely wouldn't mainly because I don't want any future employers or workmates to know I'm here. Also keep Buzzjack a secret from my real life friends, only my immediate family know and they respect my privacy by not going on it (I hope lol). And I don't think moderating an online forum would look all that impressive either.

+Quote Post
J▲hq
post May 10 2018, 01:20 PM
Post #8
i ain't scared no more
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 8,674

Don't think I went as far as listing Buzzjack by name, but yes I seem to remember listing moderator on an online forum on my CV before

+Quote Post
Liаm
post May 10 2018, 01:22 PM
Post #9
Brown cow, stunning!
Member No.: 10,139

Nah I wouldn't either personally, like Lindsey said if I'm putting about hobbies or asked in an interview I'll say that I love music/entertainment and keep up to date with it online or something like that, but I'd not specify that I was a mod on a specific forum about x or y. A blog is an option, I put that when I first applied for jobs at HMV I remember because it was a music blog I did at the time, obviously depending on the actual job something like that might give you a bit of an edge but I can't see that online moderator really would be that relevant.

+Quote Post
troublepink
post May 10 2018, 01:28 PM
Post #10
Beautiful Trauma
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 590

I wouldn't mention Buzzjack on a CV, but depending on the job I was applying for, I would mention that I've been a moderator on a forum if it was relevant.

I have mentioned about PinkHistory on my CV in the past and was asked about it in my interview, so I explained all the work that goes into running the social media sites, the planning and the website. The interviewer seemed impressed. Didn't get the job though laugh.gif

+Quote Post
ML Hammer95
post May 10 2018, 01:47 PM
Post #11
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 21,265
   No Gallery Pics

Interesting responses... probably won't mention it, but thought it could be interesting to include.

+Quote Post
Jade
post May 10 2018, 02:42 PM
Post #12
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Member No.: 12,810

I personally would not put BuzzJack on my CV as I could not handle the idea of an employer seeing a lot of my posts on here laugh.gif I did run two blogs in the past though and one was music-related, I mentioned those on both my UCAS application and on my CV when I was applying for a job at HMV. I felt they were relevant to both a journalism course and a shop that sells a lot of music-related products.

+Quote Post
Jonjo
post May 10 2018, 02:47 PM
Post #13
(-_•)
Member No.: 5,042

Not me personally. However, wasn't RyanJL tapped to work for some big website like DigitalSpy or something shortly after he was made "an editor" (yep, that tag used to exist here tongue.gif) or something?

I'm not sure if he'd put it on his CV or anything though. But then again he could've just applied and messaged around until something came up for him laugh.gif (but I'm sure I had a past convo with him and he was actually tapped by them - icr, it was almost 10 years ago afterall lmao)

I guess it's good journalism/writing experience starting your own blogs and things on a forum and stuff.

+Quote Post
5 Silas Frøkner
post May 10 2018, 02:53 PM
Post #14
Surfing in paradise
Member No.: 3,474

I wouldn’t. It’s completely irrelevant to my career. The only time I think I would include it is if I was going for a specific job in the media/internet space that having this kind of experience would be valuable.

+Quote Post
vidcapper
post May 10 2018, 03:00 PM
Post #15
Paul Hyett
Group: Members
Member No.: 364
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(5 Silas Frøkner @ May 10 2018, 03:53 PM) *
I wouldn’t. It’s completely irrelevant to my career. The only time I think I would include it is if I was going for a specific job in the media/internet space that having this kind of experience would be valuable.

I certainly wouldn't if it were a job connected with the EU. laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Dexton
post May 10 2018, 03:02 PM
Post #16
Dexton?
Member No.: 25,045
   No Gallery Pics

As others have said I think it very much depends on what job you're going for. The corner shop couldn't care less if you've been staff on a blog for the past 6 years but say Buzzfeed (bad but prominent example) might do. Although whether I'd put it on my CV or not I personally wouldn't tongue.gif Just casually slide it into conversation at the interview wink.gif

+Quote Post
Iz
post May 10 2018, 03:20 PM
Post #17
benevolent overlord
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 12,929

I have used it in the odd interview but that's only because of my high-level position on the site and the fact that I've spent a while using the Admin CP which is reasonably technical. I've tended use it in conjunction with my blog to show that I know how to operate my way around a website given a look at the permissions side of things. It's in the 'other activities/interests' part of my CV anyway and will stay there unless I go for an actual sysadmin position (not likely as things stand). I don't actually mention the site name unless they ask.

For a standard moderator position I'd only use it as perhaps an answer to an interview character question if you can articulate about a challenge you had while modding. If you're struggling for any other examples of responsibility it might work but only as a last resort.

+Quote Post
mdh
post May 10 2018, 03:49 PM
Post #18
oh, the less i know the better
Member No.: 22,776
   No Gallery Pics

I listed it on my application (said I 'moderated an online music forum') for my current print media job and it ended up being quite useful in terms of me getting the job. Think it depends on the sector you're going into - but really, as long as you don't mention the specific forum, I'd put it on there! Every little helps.

+Quote Post
Chez Wombat
post May 10 2018, 04:23 PM
Post #19
The owls are not what they seem
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

I will admit I have been tempted to use my rate concepts as a way to show my creativity but haven't yet kink.gif I think there are aspects that can be partially useful - for example, if you keep a long running thread where you're reviewing various songs, that shows commitment and is essentially just like running your own blog so would be a good example, or anything you feel you hosted on here that involved a significant amount of time put into it or involved some aspect of transferable skills in it (again limited, but something involving Excel, time-keeping, use of IT etc., personal charts are a good example). It very much depends on what you're applying for rlly and what they ask for .

I've never and probably never will put it down myself, certainly not pre-mgmt., but I have found since then I have a hand in managing people in various ways which has come in handy with my real life job as well.

+Quote Post
Jüpiter
post May 10 2018, 04:38 PM
Post #20
you only love me on the internet
Member No.: 22,895
   No Gallery Pics

I've mentioned it offhand for writing aspects on my CV before but I tend to take it off when I'm not going for creative/design jobs. Not by name though.

I do feel it's important to mention as a skill though or something that's between skill/interest, because it says something about you as a person. It's something you us your free time in that's not just e.g. lying about the house doing nothing or playing Candy Crush, it takes more dedication, organisation, initiative etc. and other skills. Just depends what you want to mention it for.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th May 2018 - 03:38 AM