BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Guilty pleasures - politically incorrect shows you like
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
vidcapper
post May 10 2018, 03:38 PM
Post #1
Paul Hyett
Group: Members
Member No.: 364
   No Gallery Pics

Ones that weren't considered iffy at the time they were made...

To get the ball rolling - Carry On films. smile.gif

This post has been edited by vidcapper: May 13 2018, 09:46 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
King Rollo
post May 10 2018, 08:03 PM
Post #2
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 23,961
   No Gallery Pics

It Ain't Half Hot Mum is the one that springs to mind. I don't think it's been repeated since the 90s. Also Are You Being Served.

+Quote Post
vidcapper
post May 12 2018, 11:02 AM
Post #3
Paul Hyett
   No Gallery Pics

Very quiet...

Is it because no channels will show them, or because no-one here will own up to watching them. heehee.gif

+Quote Post
T Boy
post May 12 2018, 12:26 PM
Post #4
Radical Pink Troll
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(vidcapper @ May 12 2018, 12:02 PM) *
Very quiet...

Is it because no channels will show them, or because no-one here will own up to watching them. heehee.gif

You do love a me vs Buzzjack scenario, donít you?

My eyebrows were raised at the thread title but this comment really seems to come off like youíre trying to be antagonistic towards certain members. Keep the discussion to the shows and donít comment on the opinions of others before youíve even read them.

Lots of old shows arenít on TV anymore, even PC ones.

As for Carry On, Iíve never really found those funny. Not because it isnít PC, just because I just find the humour old fashioned.

+Quote Post
Iz
post May 12 2018, 03:11 PM
Post #5
benevolent overlord
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 12,929

Okay, I'll take this on.

Are you stating that old shows without 'PC' are better? I mean, given your record, I know you are, but I would be interested to see what you consider PC that means that shows today are lacking... something compared to old shows. Because from my experience, they really aren't and what you'd call the 'non-PC' part is generally a weak embarrassing part of otherwise good artistic moments. Say, the stereotypical gay air traffic controller in Airplane!, where they base an entire character's humour around him acting like a flamboyant idiot which isn't really that deep and hasn't aged particularly well.

How about this quote, from the unaired pilot of Star Trek:
'She does a good job alright, it’s just that I can’t get used to having a woman on the bridge'

Now maybe you could argue that that's cherrypicking something that wasn't even chosen to bring the series forward but in the ideal future you'd think that that would be the furthest thing from their minds. Given the series also includes generally miniskirted women and has them grab onto Kirk in crises or something, it's not isolated. Or take the third episode of the Next Generation where the crew run into antagonistic aliens who are portrayed as a primitive African society and kidnap the Enterprise's white female security chief to be a bride for their chieftain. Horrendously racist and one of the worst moments in Trek history. I mention Star Trek as the older incarnations of that franchise would be the sort of thing you'd be asking me to mention as something I enjoy in this thread, but... the non-PC moments are the worst part of it and the best parts would still be aired on television today... so what exactly are you going to say is positive about this non-PC thing?

+Quote Post
vidcapper
post May 12 2018, 03:47 PM
Post #6
Paul Hyett
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Iz @ May 12 2018, 04:11 PM) *
Okay, I'll take this on.

Are you stating that old shows without 'PC' are better? I mean, given your record, I know you are, but I would be interested to see what you consider PC that means that shows today are lacking... something compared to old shows. Because from my experience, they really aren't and what you'd call the 'non-PC' part is generally a weak embarrassing part of otherwise good artistic moments. Say, the stereotypical gay air traffic controller in Airplane!, where they base an entire character's humour around him acting like a flamboyant idiot which isn't really that deep and hasn't aged particularly well.

[I should start by pointing out that this really wasn't the direction I intended this thread to go.]

'Better' is a rather subjective term.

I find TV's need to tiptoe around issues to avoid giving offence, tends to make, for example, comedies far blander than they used to be - to the extent that I rarely watch any of those made in the last decade or so. As for 'weak embarrassing parts', well there's always going to be issues judging *anything* when taken out of the context of the time it was created - which is why we should make allowances for that factor

How about this quote, from the unaired pilot of Star Trek:
'She does a good job alright, itís just that I canít get used to having a woman on the bridge'

Was that one of the character's lines, or of someone involved in producing the show?

Now maybe you could argue that that's cherrypicking something that wasn't even chosen to bring the series forward but in the ideal future you'd think that that would be the furthest thing from their minds. Given the series also includes generally miniskirted women and has them grab onto Kirk in crises or something, it's not isolated. Or take the third episode of the Next Generation where the crew run into antagonistic aliens who are portrayed as a primitive African society and kidnap the Enterprise's white female security chief to be a bride for their chieftain. Horrendously racist and one of the worst moments in Trek history. I mention Star Trek as the older incarnations of that franchise would be the sort of thing you'd be asking me to mention as something I enjoy in this thread, but... the non-PC moments are the worst part of it and the best parts would still be aired on television today...
so what exactly are you going to say is positive about this non-PC thing?

I'm astonished that you should single out ST, since at the the time the show was considered very progressive, just as Gene Roddenberry intended - fully integrated crews, for example.

+Quote Post
Mack.
post May 12 2018, 04:03 PM
Post #7
2018 World Cup fanatic
Member No.: 12,915
   No Gallery Pics

Amazed they still show On The Buses on ITV3.

+Quote Post
Iz
post May 12 2018, 04:35 PM
Post #8
benevolent overlord

QUOTE(vidcapper @ May 12 2018, 04:47 PM) *
[I should start by pointing out that this really wasn't the direction I intended this thread to go.]

'Better' is a rather subjective term.

I find TV's need to tiptoe around issues to avoid giving offence, tends to make, for example, comedies far blander than they used to be - to the extent that I rarely watch any of those made in the last decade or so. As for 'weak embarrassing parts', well there's always going to be issues judging *anything* when taken out of the context of the time it was created - which is why we should make allowances for that factor

It's the only direction I can think you wanted the thread to go, why even bother highlighting non-PC when you know you're on a forum mostly populated by people who have, as you see it, been 'brought up in the PC culture'? There aren't that many of us who remember old TV shows when they were aired because most of us literally weren't born then. We're of a generation who are going to look at old shows and see values we don't agree with, especially if we're thinking about things that are not 'politically correct'.

And you are looking in the wrong places. Comedy does not need to equal giving offence, indeed comedic writers who rely on offensive comedy are poorer for it. I know it's all subjective but I respect writers more who find genuinely funny and unexpected ways to interest their audience, far more than those who put in a caricature or rely on shock comedy. So I would not be interested in comedic writing that relies on offensive humour.

Was that one of the character's lines, or of someone involved in producing the show?

I'm astonished that you should single out ST, since at the the time the show was considered very progressive, just as Gene Roddenberry intended - fully integrated crews, for example.

A line written for the character and still available in the episode as can be watched on Netflix.

I single it out because it's probably the old television show I know best. Yes it was very progressive for its time but it still had a shaky start (another early episode - Mudd's Women - includes what would now be called a sex trafficker being played for laughs, and for all his vision, Gene was a bit of an old sexist at times, he was insistent that that episode be the pilot before common sense prevailed) the fact there are these issues with some of its episodes shows that even the most progressive of shows couldn't escape from problems.

+Quote Post
5 Silas FrÝkner
post May 12 2018, 06:30 PM
Post #9
Surfing in paradise
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 3,474

Yeah Brooklyn 99 is hands down the best comedy airing today and is actually probably the most "what vidcapper would disparage as PC but everyone else views as just being a decent human being" show on TV and is hilarious.

+Quote Post
Queef of Skreech
post May 12 2018, 08:38 PM
Post #10
Life is so much queefier than we allow ourselves to think x
Member No.: 18,639
   No Gallery Pics

Will and Grace and Friends

+Quote Post
vidcapper
post May 13 2018, 05:57 AM
Post #11
Paul Hyett
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Iz @ May 12 2018, 05:35 PM) *
It's the only direction I can think you wanted the thread to go, why even bother highlighting non-PC when you know you're on a forum mostly populated by people who have, as you see it, been 'brought up in the PC culture'?

With hindsight, I could have chosen a less leading title - but I was genuinely interested in which old shows people here liked, despite them 'being very much of their times'.

And you are looking in the wrong places. Comedy does not need to equal giving offence, indeed comedic writers who rely on offensive comedy are poorer for it. I know it's all subjective but I respect writers more who find genuinely funny and unexpected ways to interest their audience, far more than those who put in a caricature or rely on shock comedy. So I would not be interested in comedic writing that relies on offensive humour.
I don't find observational humour entertaining, especially the sort that relies on subjects that were taboo when I was younger. But it is farce that I really cannot stand - it is so contrived, and therefore irritating. e.g. people leaving through one door the very instant someone else arrives through another,

A line written for the character and still available in the episode as can be watched on Netflix.

I single it out because it's probably the old television show I know best. Yes it was very progressive for its time but it still had a shaky start (another early episode - Mudd's Women - includes what would now be called a sex trafficker being played for laughs, and for all his vision, Gene was a bit of an old sexist at times, he was insistent that that episode be the pilot before common sense prevailed) the fact there are these issues with some of its episodes shows that even the most progressive of shows couldn't escape from problems.

The part that stands out for me is how cheap the sets look now - obviously polystyrene rocks for example. laugh.gif

QUOTE(Queef of Peace @ May 12 2018, 09:38 PM) *
Will and Grace and Friends

How can W&G not be considered progressive - it was the first sitcom that featured openly gay characters - and as for the banter between them, surely it's established that members of a minority can use terms to each other that would be unacceptable if used by anyone else?

Friends was regarded by some, even at the time, as being rather insular in terms of the characters social circle, but they didn't shy away from including gay characters.

+Quote Post
Iz
post May 13 2018, 09:07 AM
Post #12
benevolent overlord

Well then, I'm mostly into old sci-fi, as set props aside (some of Star Trek's even as far down as Voyager are laughable), it's aged fairly well. Red Dwarf too. Sometimes I like watching a show seeing how their props and visuals get better every year.

Comedies, out of the ones I've seen, only a few timeless ones (Yes Minister) really stand out, stuff like Are You Being Served/Allo Allo is cool and all for a laugh but seems very dated and I would choose a 21st-century show most of the time in those circumstances.

+Quote Post
vidcapper
post May 13 2018, 09:40 AM
Post #13
Paul Hyett
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Iz @ May 13 2018, 10:07 AM) *
Well then, I'm mostly into old sci-fi, as set props aside (some of Star Trek's even as far down as Voyager are laughable), it's aged fairly well. Red Dwarf too. Sometimes I like watching a show seeing how their props and visuals get better every year.

CGI helps considerably with that!

Comedies, out of the ones I've seen, only a few timeless ones (Yes Minister) really stand out, stuff like Are You Being Served/Allo Allo is cool and all for a laugh but seems very dated and I would choose a 21st-century show most of the time in those circumstances.

One thing I don't like is reboots of classic comedies - they *never* match up to the originals.

I've changed the thread title to something a little less contentious - I hope! unsure.gif

This post has been edited by vidcapper: May 13 2018, 09:44 AM

+Quote Post
vidcapper
post May 13 2018, 09:47 AM
Post #14
Paul Hyett
   No Gallery Pics

I've just thought of a couple more :

Benny Hill Show, Kenny Everett Show.

+Quote Post
Brett-Butler
post May 13 2018, 10:06 AM
Post #15
Howdy, disco citizens.
Member No.: 10,455
   No Gallery Pics

Both series of "Harry Enfield & Chums" were put on Netflix last week, so I watched them for the first time in full since I was 7. I still found it just as funny as I did then, the Mr Cholomley-Warner sketches are still as relevant as they were then (mainly because they were parodies of the attitudes of 1930s/1940s Britain in the first place), and their spoof of the Italian art-house film "Il Postino" remains as silly as ever. I still laughed at the sketches that wouldn't go down as well today, like the camp, laidback jockey, and the sketches I loved the most as a kid, the ones about the Toddlers, just seems creepy to me now. The only sketch that really did offend me was one from the first episodes that took the proverbial out of a man who obviously had autism, but I understand that sketch was seen as offensive even then.

+Quote Post
The Snake
post May 13 2018, 10:09 AM
Post #16
Hiss.
Member No.: 23,308
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Brett-Butler @ May 13 2018, 11:06 AM) *
The only sketch that really did offend me was one from the first episodes that took the proverbial out of a man who obviously had autism, but I understand that sketch was seen as offensive even then.

Much more recently Little Britain had parts that could be seen as being offensive to people with disabilities....

+Quote Post
Tombo
post May 13 2018, 10:54 AM
Post #17
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 9,543

I love Little Britain but I know some people have issues with it

+Quote Post
Dexton
post May 13 2018, 12:06 PM
Post #18
Dexton?
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 25,045
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(TomboOnBroadway @ May 13 2018, 06:54 PM) *
I love Little Britain but I know some people have issues with it

Come Fly With Me is much worse tbh tongue.gif (in terms of "correctness" anyway)

+Quote Post
Chez Wombat
post May 13 2018, 12:15 PM
Post #19
The owls are not what they seem
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

God I loved this, simply can't imagine why it was pulled, people are just too bloody sensitive sleep.gif

+Quote Post
T Boy
post May 13 2018, 12:33 PM
Post #20
Radical Pink Troll
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

See, I never really liked Little Britain. But then Iíve always hated David Walliams

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th June 2018 - 01:43 PM