BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mental Health Awareness Week, 14 - 20 May
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Emily Haines
post May 14 2018, 08:42 PM
Post #1
Gunshot Glitter™
Group: Members
Member No.: 10,790
   No Gallery Pics

Specific awareness on mental health this week, which feels even more poignant for me after the news of Scott Hutchison's death & the fact I'm slipping again.

Posted this on my insta because if this ain't me...

Reaching out to others is recommended but is not always easy for someone to do. We've got the mental health thread in the lounge you can use to vent and connect with others. If that isn't an option, suggestions such as going for a walk, listening to music, playing with a pet, can just help distract your mind for a little while and help you move past the worst of it.

Let's try to do at least one act of self-care this week. It could be reading a book, meditation, having a bubble bath, giving yourself an early night etc. The Blurt Foundation are big on self-care, and you can find some more ideas here.

My act of self-care this week was deactivating my Facebook, which is the first time I've done it since I joined 12 years ago. It was annoying me having people on there that I didn't speak to, but didn't feel I could delete. Plus seeing all your 'friends' tag each other in comments about how much they love each other just hit a nerve I guess. I'm not usually a needy person and I don't fit in with other females which I've come to accept. Just one of those things I guess.

Sorry for turning this thread into an 'about me'. laugh.gif rolleyes.gif

Hit me up with your self-care ideas!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Q.
post May 15 2018, 08:57 AM
Post #2
elusive
Member No.: 7,132
   No Gallery Pics

Thanks for this thread. I've done a similar thing with FB, not so much deactivating the whole thing (although I've done that before too!) but I deactivated just my News Feed using a plug-in a while ago so it becomes more of a choice of what I view, as I can still see people's content when I specifically go to their pages.

One thing I've learned about myself is that I need to exercise my explorative side more in order to feel good. Go for walks in random places that I don't know all that well, leave this town whenever I get a chance, etc. Observe your (over)thinking without identifying so much with it. And also, not staring at a screen right before bed does wonders actually! It's about being aware of your triggers and also your solutions or what works for you, and exercising that.

+Quote Post
Emily Haines
post May 15 2018, 10:52 AM
Post #3
Gunshot Glitter™
Member No.: 10,790
   No Gallery Pics

Ooh deactivating your news feed actually sounds like a great idea. I'm sick to death of some people chronicling their 'perfect' life.

Those sound like good suggestions. I'm guilty of being on my phone too much in bed, so then I stay up late, then I feel exhausted in the morning. And repeat! I definitely feel like I might need to put my phone elsewhere in the room so I'm not tempted to look at it.

+Quote Post
awardinary
post May 15 2018, 11:22 AM
Post #4
The Navigator
Member No.: 21,587
   No Gallery Pics

Might I share something that I did last night that could help me or someone else...

I went to the doctors in the morning to express concern about my sleep as I am often wide awake at night and asleep in the day. He told me to do some research on a subject called “Sleep Hygiene” which I read up on here;

https://sleepfoundation.org/sleep-topics/sleep-hygiene

Since reading it yesterday I decided to take action. Last night I slept in another “spare” room, away from all my electronics such as my TV, laptop, iPad, iPhone etc and didn’t let my sleep get distracted at times when I awoke, I forced myself not to get up and stimulate my mind but to keep resting in this new sleep environment I had made for myself. I hope that it will eventually help me to sleep better and mentally switch off each day which I’ve found hard to do.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd May 2018 - 07:27 AM