BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dining alone in public
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Jade
post May 17 2018, 11:46 PM
Post #1
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 12,810

How do you feel about going out for meals on your own? Do you find it at all awkward?

I go alone to fast-food places like McDonalds and KFC all the time and would happily sit inside on my own. But I don't think I could ever go to any other restaurants alone. I just feel like I would stick out like a sore thumb and wouldn't really like to attract attention to myself in that way. Plus I saw this woman who was intending to eat alone in Nando's once and she kept being pushed back in the queue, as they prioritised groups, so she just left. I don't know why I'm so comfortable in McDonalds / KFC though, it just seems more acceptable there. There definitely seems to be a bit of a stigma around eating in public alone so I'm curious to see what you guys think!

(I wouldn't judge anyone else eating alone in restaurants myself btw, I just don't have the confidence to do it)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jacob~
post May 18 2018, 12:04 AM
Post #2
Jacob Alan~
Member No.: 21,664
   No Gallery Pics

Yeah, kind of the same as you. I've done it in fast food places and small cafť's or coffee shops (had a full English in a cafť on my own once for breakfast, was amazing x) and had lunch alone every now and again (not often really, just if I'm out alone and fancy something 'proper') from more diner style places where you get a tray and buy it before taking it to a table. Full restaurant experience with waiters though? Don't think I could do it, would feel weird. Nothing wrong with it of course but I don't really see the point? Half the experience of eating out is having people there to talk to, I'd feel bored- especially with the initial wait you don't really get in aforementioned places. Might feel self conscious too even asking for a table for one. If I eat alone at home I usually watch something on Netflix/ YouTube or browse the internet etc at the same time. Or read. #cultured

+Quote Post
5 Silas FrÝkner
post May 18 2018, 12:22 AM
Post #3
Surfing in paradise
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 3,474

One of the perks with travelling for work is that you start to get over these hang ups and become a little less caring about dining alone in a restaurant. (Food trumps awkwardness)

Iím quite an independent person so dining solo hasnít really ever bothered me that much but these days I donít even think twice about it. Iíll make sure my phone is charged or I have a book or my iPad and Iíll just chill.

A good baby step is a restaurant in your hotel because youíre not leaving the building and if youíre in a city there is likely to be other solo travelers in the same place.

+Quote Post
Bitch
post May 18 2018, 01:01 AM
Post #4
Y'alls worst nightmare
Group: Members
Member No.: 16,660

I would never judge someone for dining alone. Like you go gurl, strong independent bish.

Tbh if I had the money, I'd go out for diner whenever I could

+Quote Post
Liаm
post May 18 2018, 01:08 AM
Post #5
Brown cow, stunning!
Member No.: 10,139

Yeah same, I tend to only do it in say McDonalds or Greggs or Subway or something like that rather than anywhere "proper" I certainly don't judge others for doing it but I'd feel too awkward to do it.

+Quote Post
Riser
post May 18 2018, 03:36 AM
Post #6
My roof look like a no show
Member No.: 19,534

Yeah I'm the same where I'll go alone if I'm ordering at a counter but not if I'm being served at my table. For me that kind of setting is when I have people with me so otherwise it kinda defeats the purpose of going out in the first place.

I will say that I am trying to take myself out to eat even if no one can join me, because there's truly nothing wrong with it and it's important to enjoy your own company! But a lot of times it's just not worth the effort for me to go somewhere when I can make something at home, unless it's one of those weeks where I've barely left the house and just need to be around people even if they're all strangers tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Conderella
post May 18 2018, 04:18 AM
Post #7
ya ya ya i am lorde
Member No.: 4,397

Did this yesterday in Paris and it is perfectly fine. Same with fast food~ I mean one gots to eat

+Quote Post
J▲hq
post May 18 2018, 06:16 AM
Post #8
i ain't scared no more
Member No.: 8,674

I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable if it was a busy restaurant but I did eat alone in a Gourmet Burger kіtchen a couple of years ago when there was hardly anyone else around and it was fine. The only time I remember doing it somewhere more than just a coffee shop or fast food place.

+Quote Post
gavindeejay
post May 18 2018, 08:11 AM
Post #9
Why do today, what you can do tomorrow?
Member No.: 7,645
   No Gallery Pics

I used to have to dine alone when I was working away alot last year. I'd normally go to the likes of Harvester or Toby Carvery and McDonalds to use the free wifi as I was too tight to pay for the the travelodge wifi laugh.gif I did buy a milkshake or mcflurry though so I didn't feel guilty laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Q.
post May 18 2018, 08:36 AM
Post #10
elusive
Member No.: 7,132
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Jade @ May 18 2018, 12:46 AM) *
I saw this woman who was intending to eat alone in Nando's once and she kept being pushed back in the queue, as they prioritised groups, so she just left.

This is so sad. *sniff*

I don't mind it, sometimes I kinda enjoy the experience. I've dined in fast food restaurants on my own, as well as cafťs and stuff when I was holidaying solo. The most 'judgment' I've seen is a little girl staring at me but kids stare all the time haha. I'm not sure if I'd ever feel like going to a 'big n' proper' restaurant alone though, although my attitude would probably just be something like 'f*** it, just enjoy the meal'.

+Quote Post
Cameron
post May 18 2018, 09:09 AM
Post #11
THE BLAZE *.*
Member No.: 18,061

I see no problem with it, I dine alone when have my break at work dressed in normal clothes so its perfectly normal

+Quote Post
danG
post May 18 2018, 09:49 AM
Post #12
◢ ◤
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 11,746
   No Gallery Pics

not judging if you do it but I don't really see the point and I'd feel awkward, unless it's like mcdonalds or something where you're not being waited on.

+Quote Post
BridgeCow
post May 18 2018, 09:54 AM
Post #13
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 23,860
   No Gallery Pics

Pretty much the same as anyone else, Iím fine in like cafťs and fast food places but I could never in an actual waited restaurant, Iím awkward enough with people nvm by myself. But like if u have true courage (and money) to Eat out by yourself why not, there shouldnít be a stigma around it tbh, itís eating, everyone has to, so what if you wanna go to a nice place by yourself?

+Quote Post
Mart!n
post May 18 2018, 09:56 AM
Post #14
Infamy Infamy they all got it in for me
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 2

More awkward in a restaurant I think, fast food joints really doesn't matter, Normally I get a burger and a drink, sit down and eat the burger and leave 10 minutes later, with the drink in your hand.

Its like saying its awkward going to a cinema on your own, but I see lots people go solo to cinemas, it really doesn't bother me, if I see other people on their own.

+Quote Post
T Boy
post May 18 2018, 06:35 PM
Post #15
Radical Pink Troll
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

I love holidaying alone so Iím kinda used to this. Having said that, Iíd never go anywhere truly posh alone.

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post May 18 2018, 09:55 PM
Post #16
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 3,272
   No Gallery Pics

I used to work away form home a lot so had a choice between dining alone or going hungry. If a place is crowded then I'll move on to somewhere else rather than wait in a queue unless there really is no alternative. If a large group jumps the queue ahead of me that's not too bad as it makes sense for the restaurant to give a large table to a group rather than one person. However, I have also experienced couples being given a table ahead of me. When that happened I just walked out.

+Quote Post
Chez Wombat
post May 18 2018, 10:11 PM
Post #17
The owls are not what they seem
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

I've done it plenty at lunch time in a counter ordering restaurant and a few times at waited tables in cafes and stuff, it's a lot more common in the lunch hour, though never for dinner and in a posh restaurant setting. I mean it's something I've always seen as social, admittedly I thought that about watching a film before I realised it really isn't at all in theory, but unlike at the cinema there is a wait before the food that just fills me with awkwardness :x

I mean if I were to eat alone, I'd much prefer to just take it home so I can do other things while eating and not be surrounded by people!

+Quote Post
Iz
post May 18 2018, 10:16 PM
Post #18
benevolent overlord
Member No.: 12,929

It's good if you're travelling and have devices or a book to get lost in while you wait, I did that recently at an airport restaurant. Ideally should be a place that isn't too busy as well, if only because the noise would be unbearable if you're not taking part in it. Would probably not do it outside of those circumstances, not because I'd be awkward, but because I don't really see the point in paying more for food if I'm not also there to enjoy someone else's company, that's part of the experience.

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post May 19 2018, 07:19 AM
Post #19
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 3,272
   No Gallery Pics

If I'm eating alone at a restaurant I always take something to read.

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post May 19 2018, 07:54 AM
Post #20
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 17,376
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ May 19 2018, 08:19 AM) *
If I'm eating alone at a restaurant I always take something to read.

How delightfully retro!

Eating alone used to bother me a lot but these days everyone is eating alone cos half of them are on their bloody mobile phones. They might be sat with someone but eating alone in a world of their own.... tongue.gif

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th May 2018 - 08:06 AM