BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What charities to do you give to and why?
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
awardinary
post May 21 2018, 01:08 AM
Post #1
The Navigator
Group: Members
Member No.: 21,587
   No Gallery Pics

Starting this week off with a thought of giving freely to others without wanting anything in return. heart.gif

Thereís so many charitable causes out there, many which do really good things to improve the environment, the care of animals and of course to meet basic human needs in parts of the world where resources are slim. sad.gif

More often than not, if you live or work in an urban area of the country, you will be stopped on the street by fundraisers. Your reaction may often be dismissive or you may on the rare occasion stop and listen and then maybe give something. If thatís what started you on the way to giving to a charity then it shows it works even if we try to ignore it.

Perhaps the charity you do give to presently is for a cause you believe in and is close to your heart. Maybe itís to try to find treatment for an illness or disease that someone you know is suffering from. Maybe you give to a charity in aid of what they have done already and are doing.

Does it ever concern you though that you never really know what your charitable funds are being used for and whether or not they made any difference to the ones who they were designed to help? unsure.gif

Also, what are some of the perks of giving to your chosen charity? Are you sent a welcome pack for example or a newsletter to update you on what your funds are being used for? Are there ever activity days arranged in your community to help raise awareness and draw in further donations?

Last thing I wanted to ask ones to think about and that was that if you set up a monthly standing order for example that debits your account regularly, do you notice this money leaving your account or do you become oblivious as to what it is you are actually doing? Or do you get some inner sense of pride or accomplishment each time you give to your chosen charity, almost like giving yourself a pat on the back for doing a good deed? biggrin.gif

In my own case, I have given to charities before, and I have occasionally got involved in events and picked up the phone to donate money. I donít currently do this but I have been looking around at different charities to see what they do and if it would be worth getting sponsored for them. I think about it sometimes but Iím not exactly what youíd call well off and so giving to others can be more of a struggle financially at the moment than in the past when I was on a higher income. I know I can still give in other ways by giving of my time to volunteer for example.

Anyway, I thought this subject would be a good and worthy cause for discussion this week so as a community, letís see what BuzzJack gives at the moment and maybe what we could each give to others in the future too. happy.gif

This post has been edited by awardinary: May 21 2018, 01:08 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Suedehead2
post May 21 2018, 10:23 PM
Post #2
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 3,272
   No Gallery Pics

I have generally supported a number of different charities, Overseas development is a major issue for me so I like charities such as Water Aid. When it comes to charities whose work is largely UK based, I have always supported cancer charities. Since my mother was diagnosed with Alzheimer's last year my support for charities in the field has increased. It's a cause I have supported for a long time but it is now a lot more personal.

+Quote Post
DalekTurret32
post May 21 2018, 10:30 PM
Post #3
My shoulder holds the weight of the world
Member No.: 21,666
   No Gallery Pics

Do charity shops count?
Buying cheap CDs (and occasionally cassettes and vinyl) and contributing towards an important change in the world at the same time

+Quote Post
Cqmerqn
post May 21 2018, 10:42 PM
Post #4
Fuego!
Member No.: 23,155
   No Gallery Pics

Thereís a scheme at work which takes out a small % of your earnings and gives it to charity.

Iím signed up to that.

+Quote Post
Lindsey 🙃
post May 23 2018, 01:07 PM
Post #5
low-key, no pressure, just hang with me and my weather
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 21,176
   No Gallery Pics

£5 of my paycheck each month automatically goes to Marie Curie, it's a charity close to my heart because of Cancer in my family etc

Cancer research is another onei regarly donate to but usually only if there's reps on the street or whatever

+Quote Post
Cqmerqn
post May 23 2018, 01:26 PM
Post #6
Fuego!
Member No.: 23,155
   No Gallery Pics

Yeah mine is £5 too Lindsey. I think (?) it goes to a mental health based charity.

+Quote Post
awardinary
post May 23 2018, 01:52 PM
Post #7
The Navigator
Member No.: 21,587
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Suedehead2 @ May 21 2018, 11:23 PM) *
I have generally supported a number of different charities, Overseas development is a major issue for me so I like charities such as Water Aid. When it comes to charities whose work is largely UK based, I have always supported cancer charities. Since my mother was diagnosed with Alzheimer's last year my support for charities in the field has increased. It's a cause I have supported for a long time but it is now a lot more personal.

Thatís very noble of you Simon, itís a great cause. I hope someday problems like that will be resolved when it comes to contaminated water and other resources too.

+Quote Post
troublepink
post May 24 2018, 02:52 PM
Post #8
Beautiful Trauma
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 590

I generally give to animal or cancer charities.

I've done fundraising before, climbed Ben Nevis in 2015 for Marie Curie and raised almost £500 for them. Also done some 10k/5k walks.

I used to sponsor cats with Cats Protection and this year I'm planning on donating goods to a local cat shelter.

+Quote Post
T Boy
post May 24 2018, 03:58 PM
Post #9
Radical Pink Troll
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

I regularly give to Marie Curie, WWF and St johnís ambulance monthly. Iím also a sucker for a just giving page.

+Quote Post
Tyler
post May 25 2018, 07:39 AM
Post #10
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 67

I give to a local charity that works with homeless youth. Itís geared towards LGBTQ youth, but all are welcome. I have donated over 5 grand to planned parenthood this year, as itís service is essential for offering health care to those without insurance. The fact a doctor can charge you 400 dollars for a HIV test is just... terrible. Itís like they want it to spread. I hate this country. 😫

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th June 2018 - 03:17 PM