BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Do You Blog?, A BuzzJack Poll
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Are You A Blogger?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 11
Guests cannot vote 
awardinary
post May 27 2018, 05:02 PM
Post #1
The Navigator
Group: Members
Member No.: 21,587
   No Gallery Pics

blog /blɒɡ/
noun
a shared on-line journal where people can post diary entries about their personal experiences and hobbies.

The concept of blogging has been around for some 20 years now and people of all ages have attempted to do them. Some use them as an outlet for personal expression and others have a vast following are able to generate some level of income from writing them (and including advertisements). Over the years I think the idea of what blogging is and it’s appeal has tailed off slightly and less people are writing or reading blogs than before, the primary reason for this is of course the power of social media platforms like Instagram and Twitter which allow personal expression in more shorter and instant ways.

Does blogging have a future? Will this be something people still do in 10 years time or will it be an ancient concept by then? unsure.gif

If you do blog, or have in the past, please do share links to your online blogs in this thread. happy.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jüpiter
post May 27 2018, 05:23 PM
Post #2
you only love me on the internet
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 22,895
   No Gallery Pics

I do, yes! And I do also feel that it's falling by the wayside as a thing people do. I have faith it will see a resurgence though.

I don't have twitter or anything like that anyway. I do prefer longform and the communities I'm used to. I do need to get twitter at some point but I never get round to it, there's always something else that needs done first, hah.

+Quote Post
Jade
post May 27 2018, 05:32 PM
Post #3
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 12,810

I used to blog! I had a music blog where I would talk about the charts, write reviews and create posts about my ever-expanding music collection. I also had a lifestyle kinda blog just for all my random thoughts and this is the one that did really well, each post would get a good amount of comments and I got sent stuff by companies as well. I kept both of these blogs running while studying at sixth form so I would've been 16/17. Unfortunately I stopped in early 2015, when I was locked out of my account because the email I used for it got deleted sad.gif and I gave up quickly without a fight because I had A Levels to focus on. These were both on the Blogspot platform. That kinda time seemed really good for blogging, I feel like it's kinda fallen out of fashion now with instagram and YouTube being popular options instead (although the latter platform isn't quite what it was back then really). I regret just giving up with blogging, I'd love to do a YouTube version of both of those blogs combined as a hobby now that I've done so much video editing at University but I'm not sure I have the confidence. I guess ranting on Twitter and here are my outlets these days.

A blog I do love to check in on from time to time is that person who has been reviewing every #1 single for years.

+Quote Post
Iz
post May 27 2018, 06:25 PM
Post #4
benevolent overlord
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 12,929

Yep! Link in my sig, or just here. I've been doing it ever since I graduated, I never considered it before completing uni but the lack of having assignments to write meant I was wondering what to do with my desire to write. And then I often find myself having lots of internal thoughts that I feel I need to get out somewhere, so I use it as an outlet for that. And it's really freeing.

I talk about, well, I say it's a blog about anything because as an outlet that's what it should be, sometimes I just geek out about history, sometimes I talk about music or TV shows or video games, the majority of it is based in the anime world. Part of the reason for this is that I've found I get the most traction with my anime posts, they get, not the most views, but the most interaction comes from them, with a small community of anibloggers that I've ended up following, I guess my aim for it is, there's a Youtuber called Mother's Basement who does a lot of in-depth anime reviews and he has really interesting and insightful comments to make on almost anything, and has the ability to do skits in-between that, I'm inspired by his style but in a written form, both reviews and occasionally something humorous, and it's just focused on what I've had the time to watch, naturally. I go through phases of activity, currently haven't done all that much lately but I'm determined to keep it alive even if it's just a post a week or so. I agree, longform is best.

It would probably be better if I had some pictures in the articles to make it easier to read. I combine my current Twitter account with it as well, mainly just so I feel like I'm putting the blog articles out somewhere, not that I actually WANT them to get traction but just another method for them to be found. Because the blog name is a persona, I feel a lot freer to post my thoughts on that Twitter account so it's helped me get back into that a bit.

and of course I also had a blog that I wrote about my India experience in case you want to read about my 3 months out there - so that's my other one.

+Quote Post
Jade
post May 27 2018, 06:45 PM
Post #5
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Member No.: 12,810

Oh yeah I prefer longform as well to both write (as if that isn't obvious enough already) and read. I wish I was given more opportunities during work experience to write longer online pieces actually, I did get to write a couple of double-page spreads for the magazine though which was amazing. Hopefully I can carve out a career that would see me write for print and/or online journalistic platforms with plenty of great opportunities. It feels weird that I don't have a blog these days when I love writing so much, I think it probably is the whole Uni thing, where I've had so many essays to complete and even recently a dissertation, so I never really felt like I had a break from writing. Perhaps I'll be drawn to a creative outlet of this ilk during this gap between Uni and finding a job. Idk though, the aforementioned platforms are serving me well, I have instagram for photos and my diary has all the random bits that no-one in the world would care about. We'll see.

+Quote Post
Jüpiter
post May 27 2018, 06:56 PM
Post #6
you only love me on the internet
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 22,895
   No Gallery Pics

I actually started one of mine during uni as a way to complete assignments and do research, because if I was sharing it as I went along that was more motivation to do it in the first place.

I have hm, two mains active now, one inactive (that's still in my sig I think...yup), that's music and a collaborative project with my friend/colleague that neither of us have had time to focus on for a while. Having a journalistic review style blog was fun though, you can make connections with artists quite easily if you just reach out, and can get press passes to gigs and all sorts. And then I also have two other inactive music blogs, one was a longer-form reviews blog which I might bring back at some point and the other just shares music videos.

They're a good platform to build your brand and practice your writing, I still feel, if that's something that interests you. As someone who does publish...sporadically... and work in writing/media, it's been good practice for me at least. I think if you're used to writinglonger pieces you don't fall out of the habit as easily as you would if you were just using twitter. (But just for casual stuff if you don't want to be a brand, sure, twitter is probably all you need!)

Iz, I've read your blog before, it's fun biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Iz
post May 27 2018, 07:19 PM
Post #7
benevolent overlord

QUOTE(Jüpiter @ May 27 2018, 07:56 PM) *
They're a good platform to build your brand and practice your writing, I still feel, if that's something that interests you. As someone who does publish...sporadically... and work in writing/media, it's been good practice for me at least. I think if you're used to writinglonger pieces you don't fall out of the habit as easily as you would if you were just using twitter. (But just for casual stuff if you don't want to be a brand, sure, twitter is probably all you need!)

Iz, I've read your blog before, it's fun biggrin.gif

I agree, it's mostly good practice. Definitely. The thing I've always found with Twitter is that it's a rare tweet where I'm not stretching the character limit and them lifting that recently enabled me to write so many more tweets (or at least, more than one a week or so). So a platform where I'm able to write as much as I can whenever I want is good, and the fact I don't always get people commenting on it oddly helps with my confidence in putting it out there.

Thank you, it's always nice to hear when someone's read something from it! You should link me to more of yours if you want. The music review stuff is interesting to hear, especially connections with artists, I've never really gotten the inspiration to do much with it though, it's the sort of thing you seemingly have to be really on the ball for and I'm not necessarily a timely longform writer.

+Quote Post
awardinary
post May 27 2018, 08:16 PM
Post #8
The Navigator
Group: Members
Member No.: 21,587
   No Gallery Pics

I know I started this thread, but I want to put it out there that I am not a blogger... but... I have always fancied myself having a go at it but I don’t know what I hope to achieve from it. I mean, there’s a number of interests I have that I could write about, but I don’t know how sustainable it would be to get new content and keep it updated. Also, I don’t know who my target audience is or how to drive traffic to my blog. So I guess that is what always put me off. At least with Instagram andy Twitter you know how it works and how to gain new followers etc.

I will try and get some time to look at your blogs though to get ideas. happy.gif

+Quote Post
Iz
post May 27 2018, 08:28 PM
Post #9
benevolent overlord

My perspective is that I don't do my blog to get traffic or to necessarily even have an audience. I'm just being myself, creating my own writing on my own time without any schedule and if people want to read what I put out, so much the better. I'm chilled about the whole process
and do the bare minimum of promotion because otherwise it would be a job. And I don't want another.

If you're unsure about blogging but would like to give it a go, I'd start out that way and see if you want to continue, maybe you'll find a niche of topics that work for you. You'll figure out more about how to promote your topic the more you write about it. And the process of gaining an audience is surely the same as any other social media, be interesting, make sure what you post is getting an airing somewhere, be regular etc.

+Quote Post
Brett-Butler
post May 27 2018, 08:31 PM
Post #10
Howdy, disco citizens.
Member No.: 10,455
   No Gallery Pics

I started a music blog, The Metaphorical Boat, 7 years ago, and occasionally used it as a podcast as well, although in recent months I've put it on the backburner. May return to it at some point.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th June 2018 - 01:51 AM