BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Latest Artist News

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 4 Minutes ● 10 Years
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
liamk97
post May 29 2018, 05:52 PM
Post #1
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 12,472

It's 10 years since Madonna was ruling the charts worldwide with one of her biggest hits, '4 Minutes'. Switching the disco throwbacks of Confessions for the contemporary urban scene, Madonna teamed up with Timbaland and Justin Timberlake to make a bold, brassy comeback. Horns and bells galore, Timbaland's clanging, tribal beats bring a chaotic energy and sense of urgency to Madonna and Justin's trade-off verses of social awareness. It's a beast of a song; the production is relentless and is guaranteed to get the blood pumping. Despite criticism this felt more like chasing trends rather than setting them, there's no doubt that Madonna took the sound and made it a triumph, with '4 Minutes' topping the charts in over 20 countries and remaining one of her more relevant songs with younger audiences today.

What are your thoughts on the song? Where do you stand on the trend chasing debate? Is this the most relevant Madonna song with younger audiences?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jade
post May 29 2018, 06:18 PM
Post #2
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 12,810

10 years?! mellow.gif oh my god that has absolutely flown by. I loved this at the time and it has held up incredibly well for me still, in my Madonna top 3 wub.gif

+Quote Post
Tawdry Hepburn
post May 29 2018, 06:21 PM
Post #3
I'll find your lips in the street lights
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 51

It was basically a carbon copy of this song, except with Madonna replacing Nelly Furtado:

I like the song though! It's a shame it marked the beginning of an era which spawned her worst album ever.

This post has been edited by Tawdry Hepburn: May 29 2018, 06:21 PM

+Quote Post
dandy*
post May 29 2018, 06:30 PM
Post #4
Mansonette
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 54
   No Gallery Pics

*aside from MDNA

+Quote Post
dandy*
post May 29 2018, 06:34 PM
Post #5
Mansonette
Group: Veteran
Member No.: 54
   No Gallery Pics

As for the song, I quite like it still. It reminds me of times when she was still popular, a shame that 10 years have now passed since then.

+Quote Post
blacksquare
post May 30 2018, 08:42 AM
Post #6
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Group: Members
Member No.: 23,471
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Tawdry Hepburn @ May 29 2018, 07:21 PM) *
I like the song though! It's a shame it marked the beginning of an era which spawned her worst album ever.

You have heard MDNA right?

I didn't like Hard Candy either but it's easily superior.

+Quote Post
blacksquare
post May 30 2018, 08:43 AM
Post #7
BuzzJack Enthusiast
   No Gallery Pics

4 Minutes is fine, although really felt like the first time she was trend-chasing instead of doing her own thing.

The beginning of the end of her mainstream success / creative peak

+Quote Post
Tawdry Hepburn
post May 30 2018, 09:18 AM
Post #8

QUOTE(blacksquare @ May 30 2018, 09:42 AM) *
You have heard MDNA right?

I didn't like Hard Candy either but it's easily superior.

MDNA isn't exactly wonderful, but nowhere near as bad as that.

+Quote Post
blacksquare
post May 30 2018, 11:51 AM
Post #9
BuzzJack Enthusiast
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Tawdry Hepburn @ May 30 2018, 10:18 AM) *
MDNA isn't exactly wonderful, but nowhere near as bad as that.

So intrigued by this. What ways is MDNA better?

+Quote Post
Liаm
post May 30 2018, 12:00 PM
Post #10
Brown cow, stunning!
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 10,139

Absolute tune, I agree it kind of marked her ceasing to be innovative and truly herself, but she did trend chasing well enough here for it to be really enjoyable.

+Quote Post
Cody Salton
post May 30 2018, 02:44 PM
Post #11
I JUST HAD A VISION
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 21,308
   No Gallery Pics

It’s sad that kids today wouldn’t have witnessed a time when Madonna still got hits

+Quote Post
HausofTove
post May 31 2018, 05:07 PM
Post #12
Henrietta R Hippo
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 13,007

I have a lot of memories of this being on in the school canteen during my sixth form years ... and I was majorly grossed out by it laugh.gif

I adore the song though, and it was a fantastic lead single marking such a stark contrast to what she'd done before.

+Quote Post
Tawdry Hepburn
post Jun 1 2018, 08:30 AM
Post #13

QUOTE(blacksquare @ May 30 2018, 12:51 PM) *
So intrigued by this. What ways is MDNA better?

I suppose because she had literally jumped on the Timbaland bandwagon two years too late (two years after Nelly Furtado had popularised it and a multitude of artists had since done the exact same thing), it was a real desperate attempt at being hip and I found it toe-curling. Plus most of the songs on the tracklist were absolute toilet.

‘MDNA’ had flickers of something daring and with a personality (Gang Bang, I’m Addicted for instance), although granted patches of it were generic and trend-chasing too.

+Quote Post
vibe
post Jun 1 2018, 05:58 PM
Post #14
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 11,763
   No Gallery Pics

Hard candy is far superior to MDNA
I do hate the title tho !!

+Quote Post
slowdown73
post Jun 9 2018, 10:25 PM
Post #15
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 1,031
   No Gallery Pics

I don’t like 4 minutes or much on hard candy. For me, this was the start of a big decline in the quality of Madonna’s music. She hasn’t recovered from it since!

+Quote Post
Regina
post Jun 10 2018, 11:24 AM
Post #16
Raining Shitter
Group: Banned
Member No.: 5,572

Her third best song ever and Hard Candy is her second best album ever.

+Quote Post
SamJudd
post Jun 21 2018, 11:29 PM
Post #17
There you go, you're like fireworks...
Member No.: 19,846
   No Gallery Pics

Yes I still really like this song that definitely ranks as one of her best from the 00's and for a long time her last great song (until the first 2 singles from 'Rebel Heart', of course). Can't believe it's been 10 years already, a decade since her last chart topper, it's a shame that she doesn't get hits anymore (thanks to the awful MDNA single choices) and yeah I know she's trend jumping with this, but come on it's a total cracker of a song with an infectious chorus and really great production by Timbaland, definitely one his best produced songs of his career, and the Urban/Hip-Hop sound was an interesting direction for Madonna to go in.

Still a great song to this day, shame that the album couldn't match the quality of it's lead single, apart from a few decent tracks, the album was pretty crap, I wouldn't call it her worst (that goes to MDNA), but still down there in the bottom 2 or 3.

+Quote Post
Dexton
post Jun 22 2018, 05:36 AM
Post #18
rip in peace Dickston
Member No.: 25,045
   No Gallery Pics

10 years *.* wow

+Quote Post
liamk97
post Jun 24 2018, 01:37 PM
Post #19
BuzzJack Legend
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 12,472

QUOTE(SamJudd @ Jun 22 2018, 12:29 AM) *
Yes I still really like this song that definitely ranks as one of her best from the 00's and for a long time her last great song (until the first 2 singles from 'Rebel Heart', of course). Can't believe it's been 10 years already, a decade since her last chart topper, it's a shame that she doesn't get hits anymore (thanks to the awful MDNA single choices) and yeah I know she's trend jumping with this, but come on it's a total cracker of a song with an infectious chorus and really great production by Timbaland, definitely one his best produced songs of his career, and the Urban/Hip-Hop sound was an interesting direction for Madonna to go in.

Still a great song to this day, shame that the album couldn't match the quality of it's lead single, apart from a few decent tracks, the album was pretty crap, I wouldn't call it her worst (that goes to MDNA), but still down there in the bottom 2 or 3.[/color]

Agreed. It's easy to associate "trend-chasing" with something negative, particularly in Madonna's case where she's usually set them (or, at the times where she did follow more closely to what was already popular, did it in such a way that felt very true to herself) but that doesn't make '4 Minutes' a bad song. It's well produced and the sense of urgency really pumps you up and prepares you for something huge. It remains her most relevant with younger audiences, from my experience, with people who aren't necessarily fans finding it a great song.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th August 2018 - 12:58 AM