BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Celebrities That Have Surprised You In A Bad Way, based on Pogo's controversial anti-LGBT YouTube video
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Cucumberella
post May 31 2018, 08:23 PM
Post #1
controlo qualquer um com a minha bruxaria
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 9,403

I'm not really sure where to post this but it seems that musician Pogo who is famous for making (ironically quite camp) mash-up songs and mixes has stated that he has a 'resentment' towards the gay community before later on in the video fist-bumping the Pulse Orlando shooting.

I know that there's a bit of an audience for him on here due to a few of his entries appearing in BJSC and also due to a few of his videos racking up a lot of views, but I'm quite honestly shocked. Apart from reinforcing a negative anti-LGBT Australian stereotype harshly, he also was known for taking very camp elements (i.e. children's cartoons for example) and placing them into his work so it comes as a bit of a shock.

Quite unnerving watching, considering how nonchalantly he expresses his hatred - it's almost like a set-up of sorts, but I would not be able to think why.

To open up the discussion, is there any other really shocking moments that completely changed your opinion of a celebrity you once thought well of or used to enjoy?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Andrew.
post May 31 2018, 08:28 PM
Post #2
So, you must like me for me 🙃
Group: Members
Member No.: 21,161

i don’t know this guy, but the bile and sheer HATE in that diatribe honestly made me cry. I’d also think it was some sort of set up Lew- but why??

+Quote Post
Jade
post May 31 2018, 08:30 PM
Post #3
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Member No.: 12,810

Oh no, I have really enjoyed every Pogo song that I've come across sad.gif ffs, really disappointed (and shocked like you!) to hear about this.

The first one to come to my head is the whole Melanie Martinez scandal. I adore her music (saw her live and 'Cry Baby' has been spammed to death over the years) and those allegations came as a huge shock. She's a bit of an oddball but never did I think she'd be accused for that. Listening to her music makes me feel a bit uncomfortable now.

+Quote Post
Andrew.
post May 31 2018, 08:32 PM
Post #4
So, you must like me for me 🙃
Member No.: 21,161

At the time of her X Factor sacking, Natalia Kills. To this day I adore her music and imagery, but that rant was so nasty and god damn weird :’) I think she was probably told to be the mean judge and just took it too far because no sane person would talk like that laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Cody💧Slayberry
post May 31 2018, 08:33 PM
Post #5
check your thighs in the mirror... and i'm done
Member No.: 21,308
   No Gallery Pics

I dunno, once you see one celebrity destroy their reputation and well-being, you just expect everyone else to fall the same way.

+Quote Post
Bré
post May 31 2018, 08:36 PM
Post #6
Mr Jade Lauren Williams <333
Member No.: 8,300

This doesn't surprise me at all tbh, I'm pretty sure he's also a Trump supporter (he has made songs about Trump and I looked them up and found some pro-Trump tweets he's made in the past, I wasn't 100% sure if it was serious but I guess they probably were based on this). Well that's a shame isn't it. I'm pretty good at separating artists from their art though so I'll still enjoy 'Yellow Brick Road', 'Data & Picard' and 'Alohomora'. Honestly the fact that so many celebrities have turned out to be awful people has just made me more desensitised and able to separate the art, it feels like any artist I love could one day just turn out to have some horrible allegations against them. The recent saga over Ameer Vann from BROCKHAMPTON comes to mind as well.

+Quote Post
Chez Wombat
post May 31 2018, 08:41 PM
Post #7
The owls are not what they seem
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

Errrr wow at that, is that real? How the hell can one speak like that so flippantly and the comment on the Pulse shooting beggars belief. I mean I did read somewhere he was a Trump supporter (I mean I don't like to stereotype but yeah) but this is far more extreme. Such a shame, I love his creations.

On topic, probably Morgan Freeman in light of recent news sad.gif I know this has happened to a lot of big entertainment names in recent months, but he's always a name I've respected a lot. Though I suppose that's always a risk of only gathering an impression of someone based on how they present themselves in public.

+Quote Post
Bré
post May 31 2018, 08:44 PM
Post #8

For what it's worth he posted this on Facebook:

Except I’m talking straight out of my ass. I made this during the Trump election to impersonate the radical right and start a fire. It’s the same time I made music videos of me staring into the camera doing nothing pretending to be terrified. It’s the Andy Kaufman in me. I enjoy perplexing people. Fagotron really was just a way of saying Prickotron or Dickotron where I grew up. Some of my best friends and supporters are gay and it's nothing I even think about.

I'm willing to believe that to some extent, he says such extreme things in such a casual way that it's hard to believe it's intended to be 100% serious. Either that or this is just backpedalling. Who knows.

+Quote Post
Iz
post May 31 2018, 08:55 PM
Post #9
benevolent overlord
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 12,929

It is such a weird video to make even if he's being satirical.

I'll credit him with a small bit of intelligence and say that it's obvious to anyone making a public career that no good will ever come of making a video like that. Which is why I was perplexed over its existence in the first place and went looking for background rather than reply to this thread. So it's possible he made it as a dumb 'ironic' joke in the heated atmosphere of 2016, took it down and now it has been unearthed again. Still incredibly stupid of him even if you're going to be generous about it.

+Quote Post
Bré
post May 31 2018, 09:03 PM
Post #10

I think ultimately he's just an idiot with some questionable far-right political opinions and a dodgy sense of humour. It's still disappointing even if you give him the benefit of the doubt that he doesn't actually support mass killings of gay people.

+Quote Post
Tawdry Hepburn
post May 31 2018, 09:12 PM
Post #11
I'll find your lips in the street lights
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 51

Natalia Kills is a definite one for me, I supported her so much and even bought both of her albums.

I felt like a bit of a dick for doing so after that, I wish I'd have just 'obtained' them for free and not let her get a penny out of me.

+Quote Post
Chez Wombat
post May 31 2018, 09:32 PM
Post #12
The owls are not what they seem
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Bré @ May 31 2018, 10:03 PM) *
I think ultimately he's just an idiot with some questionable far-right political opinions and a dodgy sense of humour. It's still disappointing even if you give him the benefit of the doubt that he doesn't actually support mass killings of gay people.

He apparently did pretty much the same thing a few years back with regards to feminism and women's place in society by deliberately posting a far-right blog post, before it was then taken down and he said it was all a joke. He clearly has absolutely no tact nor sensitivity regarding 'humour' like this whatever his views are, but I'd take that over him actually being serious with these.

He's made a video where he addresses it now at least, (what happens to his career is anyone's guess :')):

+Quote Post
Cody💧Slayberry
post May 31 2018, 09:47 PM
Post #13
check your thighs in the mirror... and i'm done
Member No.: 21,308
   No Gallery Pics

does anyone's career ever recover in this climate though?

+Quote Post
Tombo
post May 31 2018, 09:53 PM
Post #14
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 9,543

QUOTE(Cody💧Slayberry @ May 31 2018, 10:47 PM) *
does anyone's career ever recover in this climate though?

James Arthur and Cheryl both spring to mind.

Not quite as serious as some of the other names here but Les Battersby's weird angry rant things on Celebrity Big Brother were really weird, I thought they were jokes at first but no...

+Quote Post
cantthinkofaname
post May 31 2018, 10:02 PM
Post #15
BuzzJack Enthusiast
Member No.: 12,837
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Andrew. @ May 31 2018, 08:28 PM) *
i don’t know this guy, but the bile and sheer HATE in that diatribe honestly made me cry. I’d also think it was some sort of set up Lew- but why??

Someone on Youtube said "I know I sound like a conspiracy nut, but I'm getting vibes of that one episode of Black Mirror. This seems like such a strange thing to do, I would not be surprised to learn that you are a pedo and you've been blackmailed into doing this." and honestly that's the only thing I can think of that makes sense here lol. That video was so weird "I need to be careful with this" and then saying you were happy gay people got killed don't really make sense in the same sentence.

+Quote Post
BridgeCow
post May 31 2018, 10:12 PM
Post #16
BuzzJack Gold Member
Member No.: 23,860
   No Gallery Pics

that video is weird, he is literally talking like he's at gunpoint wtf, idk the guy but it does kinda come off as a 'joke' more so than a real rant from the heart but idk, does just seem like a really distasteful attempt at a joke (guessing he realised this too hence it being taken down) but it's still a bit :/

+Quote Post
Jüpiter
post May 31 2018, 11:05 PM
Post #17
you only love me on the internet
Member No.: 22,895
   No Gallery Pics

Laci Green (any of you know who that is?) going alt-right and redpilling herself. That was a shock.

+Quote Post
Liаm
post May 31 2018, 11:15 PM
Post #18
Brown cow, stunning!
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 10,139

I mean joking about it in the way he did really isn't much better, like I would totally get if it was satire of the right but like the Pulse shooting really is not something you joke about either way. It's just bizarre, seems like some kind of set-up for whatever reason but I don't know what to make of it, other than the fact it certainly isn't funny.

Melanie Martinez was the first one that came to mind for me too, the Natalia Kills saga was also really shocking and awful but like I did think from the first episode of X Factor NZ she wouldn't be taken that well (not that I anticipated the level of what happened). It was just mad that ended up being such a knob that New Zealand's ailing talent show was worldwide news and she decimated her career laugh.gif

+Quote Post
The Snake
post Jun 1 2018, 01:14 PM
Post #19
Hiss.
Member No.: 23,308
   No Gallery Pics

I was really disappointed in Christopher Biggins with the whole Celebrity Big Brother thing sad.gif

Also Carol Thatcher, she actually came across as OK until she made that comment about the tennis player sad.gif

This post has been edited by Queef Of Peas: Jun 1 2018, 01:26 PM

+Quote Post
Tawdry Hepburn
post Jun 1 2018, 01:18 PM
Post #20
I'll find your lips in the street lights
Member No.: 51

QUOTE(Liаm @ Jun 1 2018, 12:15 AM) *
the Natalia Kills saga was also really shocking and awful but like I did think from the first episode of X Factor NZ she wouldn't be taken that well (not that I anticipated the level of what happened). It was just mad that ended up being such a knob that New Zealand's ailing talent show was worldwide news and she decimated her career laugh.gif

Decimated her what, sorry?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th June 2018 - 12:49 AM