BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Gnomesville, Gnome capital of Australia
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Dexton
post Jun 2 2018, 12:21 PM
Post #1
Dexton?
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 25,045
   No Gallery Pics

Long weekend over here so the fam all had the weekend off (for once!!) and took a trip down south an hour and a half (150km) to this sort of community area where the gnomes of Australia live. People from all over the world have been here to place gnomes of their own and it's a lot of fun reading each gnome, who it's been placed by or how long it's lasted. It's been here for a long time and I haven't been for at least 2 years, so in the time since then it's grown a lot. I thought i'd share this with Buzzjack laugh.gif

In the Ferguson Valley of country Western Australia there lives a thriving community of gnomes, in a gnome village called Gnomesville. I'm not joking. What began as a silent protest over a roundabout has mushroomed into a quirky collection of thousands of garden gnomes - worth a detour if you like things out of the ordinary.

It began with one gnome (just one individual can make a difference!). The presence of one inspired others to add more, probably in the same way as the Cardrona bra fence and various roadside shoe collections grew when someone set an example to follow. But gnomes come in endless varieties and provide far greater scope for creativity.

The gnomes at gnomesville are not just scattered at random - they have formed groups, communities, even suburbs. It is quaintly delightful to wander the gnomes and spot the imaginative arrangements and signposts.

Some have been contributed by families, with gnomes labelled with the names of family members. Many have been left there by businesses, sports clubs, school classes, and other social or special interest groups.

Other gomes have been arranged as tributes or memorials to loved ones who are with us gnome more. And then there are donations from tourists in recognition of happy holidays. The naughty ones are in a fenced off area at the back - the Gnomesville Detention Centre.

Most gnomes are just idly standing around, as gnomes generally tend to do. But not all - there are gnomes climbing, gnomes gardening, gnomes in a bus, gnomes flying a plane, and even one in a rocket. Others are having a nice lie down.

This post has been edited by Dexton: Jun 2 2018, 12:28 PM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
BridgeCow
post Jun 2 2018, 12:28 PM
Post #2
BuzzJack Gold Member
Group: Members
Member No.: 23,860
   No Gallery Pics

omg this is amazing

+Quote Post
Cqmerqn
post Jun 2 2018, 12:29 PM
Post #3
Fuego!
Member No.: 23,155
   No Gallery Pics

Omg I love

Iím surprised it hasnít been destroyed

+Quote Post
Dexton
post Jun 2 2018, 12:32 PM
Post #4
Dexton?
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 25,045
   No Gallery Pics

In all the time it's been here only the weather and clumsy visitors have broken anything tongue.gif I swear every time we go someone says "if this were in England it wouldn't last 5 minutes" tongue.gif

+Quote Post
PeteFromLeeds
post Jun 2 2018, 04:40 PM
Post #5
Oh I may not be the best, but I'm far from the worst
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 23,247
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Dexton @ Jun 2 2018, 01:32 PM) *
In all the time it's been here only the weather and clumsy visitors have broken anything tongue.gif I swear every time we go someone says "if this were in England it wouldn't last 5 minutes" tongue.gif

Well they're probably not wrong laugh.gif Nice to see something unique like this!

+Quote Post
Riser
post Jun 3 2018, 01:37 AM
Post #6
My roof look like a no show
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 19,534

Yeah, if anyone did that where I live people would be complaining about it nonstop.

I'm looking at it on Google Maps and omg they're just a few feet from the road!! That's fascinating. Any idea who owns it or if it's public land?

+Quote Post
Tombo
post Jun 3 2018, 01:42 AM
Post #7
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 9,543

Aww that is so cute, I love it!

+Quote Post
Midge
post Jun 3 2018, 09:12 AM
Post #8
I just think I'm neat
Member No.: 23,643
   No Gallery Pics

I can't believe I didn't know about this when I was over in March laugh.gif That would've been a surreal visit!

+Quote Post
DalekTurret32
post Jun 3 2018, 02:02 PM
Post #9
My shoulder holds the weight of the world
Member No.: 21,666
   No Gallery Pics

Wow!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th June 2018 - 01:58 AM