BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> CANCELLING artists~, 🚫
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
HausofTove
post Jun 5 2018, 06:42 PM
Post #1
Henrietta R Hippo
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 13,007

So this is a new trend I have seen over the past while particularly on Twitter and places like Popjustice / general (gay?) internet stan culture.

The act of "cancelling" an artist means you disregard, turn against and stop liking an artist you previously liked because of something they may have done. A good example was from people who adored Kanye West for years but then decided to delete their entire library of him after he came out with some of his absurd comments recently... does it make the music they once used to love suddenly bad and unlistenable? Similar things have happened with Troye Sivan and people who previously idolised him, now having no time for him because his management have signed up Kim Petras on his tour.

So do you "cancel" artists if they say or do something you don't agree with? Are there any artists you have cancelled? Would you delete an album you previously loved because the artist says something silly? Do you find it totally ridiculous and petty?

DISCUSS

~This does NOT include me (passionately) disliking Christina Aguilera or Cardi B etc, because I have never been a fan, rather than being a fan and then turning against them. angel.gif
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
HausofTove
post Jun 5 2018, 06:46 PM
Post #2
Henrietta R Hippo

This is one of the most annoying things I see on the internet nowadays. Everyone is up on their high horse making opinions on things they read and then suddenly disregarding artists and albums they once previously loved. Music is music is music... Blue Neighbourhood will never NOT be amazing to me even if Troye slaps my mother. Born This Way will never not have changed my life the way it did even if Gaga supports and campaigns for Donald Trump.

Fair enough you might not have enough time for an artist after they say something but the things they've done in the past are surely as good as before?

I can't think of anything that my favourite artists can do that would make me turn against their past efforts or the impacts they have had on my life. I don't know how people are so fickle when it comes to music because for me, music is felt so internally.

It's just a way of looking cool part of Twitter stan culture and it's a culture I despise lmao.

(Omg what a rant on something most people don't even care about laugh.gif let me have a moment please, i'm old x)

+Quote Post
Bitch
post Jun 5 2018, 06:46 PM
Post #3
Y'alls worst nightmare
Group: Members
Member No.: 16,660

Like handing back your stancard?

+Quote Post
HausofTove
post Jun 5 2018, 06:48 PM
Post #4
Henrietta R Hippo

QUOTE(Bitch @ Jun 5 2018, 07:46 PM) *
Like handing back your stancard?

Yes effectively that! Fair enough you can stop stanning but like deleting their library off your iTunes or resetting their plays on last.fm etc.

Away from music, Roman Polanski was revealed as... all the things he was... and Repulsion is still in my top 5 films of all-time.

+Quote Post
J▲hq
post Jun 5 2018, 06:52 PM
Post #5
i ain't scared no more
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 8,674

Troye and Kim Petras?? Now I'm even more here for him!! "Heart to Break" is such a massive jam wub.gif

I can't immediately think of any artists I've turned against and I think I can separate music from the person enough to be able to avoid doing this. Definitely not in a 'delete from library' manner.

Tbh I have no idea why Kanye was even commissioned in the first place

+Quote Post
Jonjo
post Jun 5 2018, 06:52 PM
Post #6
(-_•)
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 5,042

Wait, what's wrong with Kim Petra? Eek.

+Quote Post
J▲hq
post Jun 5 2018, 06:53 PM
Post #7
i ain't scared no more
Member No.: 8,674

QUOTE(Jonjo @ Jun 5 2018, 07:52 PM) *
Wait, what's wrong with Kim Petra? Eek.

Dr Luke?

+Quote Post
JosephAvery
post Jun 5 2018, 06:58 PM
Post #8
it don't mean shit if you ain't happy though
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 13,530

This really bothers me too, I find it so irritating. Everybody has said questionable things at some point, and I just hope we've all learnt from those mistakes and wouldn't repeat them. This is why I particularly *hate* the idea of dredging up old tweets (Jack Maynard, Louisa Johnson, etc) to try and prove that somebody is racist or homophobic. Of course, those tweets shouldn't have been made in the first place and it's good that they've been able to apologise for any offence caused, but I think certain allowances can be made when people are young and not so educated. It's the problem with the age of social media - I'm sure popstars of yesteryear have made similar remarks at a younger age (and non-popstars too!), but in person as opposed to on Twitter where it's documented forever.

Generally I try to separate the music from the artist anyway (e.g. I will never agree with the opinion that you can't enjoy Freaky Friday because of Chris Brown's actions... he's repulsive but the song is a bop), so even amongst the Twitter stans "cancelling" artists, it really has no effect on me. It might make me more wary towards *them* in the future but if the music is good, that's more important - like Ball said, absolutely nothing can take Troye's music away from me (and tbh, I don't think he should've been "cancelled" in the first place lmao, the stans are going OTT on that one).

I think "cancelling" artists absolutely has something to do with people trying to look cool on Twitter in front of their fellow stans, although I find it interesting that Dua Lipa had some misguided old tweets dug up and everyone forgave her within 30 seconds because she's the current queen in the eyes of stan Twitter :') (I mean, that's the way it should be, but why is it one rule for Dua and one for everyone else?). I mean I'm sure Troye, Demi and Charlie Puth have all been cancelled in the past week alone lmao, it's a bit ridiculous at this point.

+Quote Post
Andrew.
post Jun 5 2018, 06:59 PM
Post #9
So, you must like me for me 🙃
Member No.: 21,161

Something I’ve seen is ‘cancelling’ your standing because said artist has started flopping (or vice versa with the likes of Rita Ora). The whole thing is pathetic and another reason Stan Twitter culture is toxic ~

+Quote Post
Brett-Butler
post Jun 5 2018, 07:01 PM
Post #10
Howdy, disco citizens.
Member No.: 10,455
   No Gallery Pics

The only time I've done this was with Lostprophets, albeit with very good reason. Apart from incredibly repugnant actions by musicians on that level or close, I can usually separate the musician from their views, as much as some artists (like Morrissey) really make me skirt the line.

+Quote Post
Tawdry Hepburn
post Jun 5 2018, 07:05 PM
Post #11
I'll find your lips in the street lights
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 51

QUOTE(Brett-Butler @ Jun 5 2018, 08:01 PM) *
The only time I've done this was with Lostprophets, albeit with very good reason.

Yeah, that's the key one for me really. I erased everything I had of theirs due to that.

I think we had a similar thread the other week and I came up with Natalia Kills, although I still listen to her music I wish I'd have illegally downloaded it rather than supported her and helped her get any revenue.

+Quote Post
PeteFromLeeds
post Jun 5 2018, 07:07 PM
Post #12
Oh I may not be the best, but I'm far from the worst
Member No.: 23,247
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Brett-Butler @ Jun 5 2018, 08:01 PM) *
The only time I've done this was with Lostprophets, albeit with very good reason. Apart from incredibly repugnant actions by musicians on that level or close, I can usually separate the musician from their views, as much as some artists (like Morrissey) really make me skirt the line.

I was about to mention Lostprophets as well - I don't think I've done it for anyone else.

+Quote Post
Cqmerqn
post Jun 5 2018, 07:08 PM
Post #13
Fuego!
Member No.: 23,155
   No Gallery Pics

Can we cancel Bebe Rexha tbh

+Quote Post
Andrew.
post Jun 5 2018, 07:10 PM
Post #14
So, you must like me for me 🙃
Member No.: 21,161

QUOTE(Cqmerqn @ Jun 5 2018, 08:08 PM) *
Can we cancel Bebe Rexha tbh

What has Bebe even done though apart from brag a bit about her song :’) I hate that in this country faux modestly is likability.

+Quote Post
Cqmerqn
post Jun 5 2018, 07:11 PM
Post #15
Fuego!
Member No.: 23,155
   No Gallery Pics

I’m joking.. she’s just absolutely tragic on social media.

+Quote Post
Jüpiter
post Jun 5 2018, 07:15 PM
Post #16
you only love me on the internet
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 22,895
   No Gallery Pics

That's kinda hilarious if people are actually deleting stuff they spent money on!

Ultimately its fun though, just people expressing strong opinions right? I don't exactly have a problem with those as you all know...

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Jun 5 2018, 07:22 PM
Post #17
Brown cow, stunning!
Member No.: 10,139

I mean you don't need to be "faux modest" but it's so cringe the way she has acted on social media over MTB, legit Jessie J levels laugh.gif

As for the actual issue, it's really bad then yes but I can't stand this needless "cancelling" of people who have like made one joke comment when they were 13 laugh.gif I feel like it's as always a competition of "my fave is better than your fave" as it usually is on stan twitter, just as it is with sales or awards or whatever. It's like "my fave didn't tweet faggot in 2012 so she must be better", there's just far worse things to worry about. I haven't really had an absolute fave do anything really bad that has made me want to "cancel" them, I have gone off Demi for example in terms of stanning but that's not deleting her from my library or anything as drastic. "Cancelling" everyone for one or two things, much like with a lot of things, just diminishes actual things that are happening.

+Quote Post
HarryEzra
post Jun 5 2018, 07:34 PM
Post #18
Lovin', I'm livin', so we turnin' up
Member No.: 20,835

I mainly say it to parody stan twitter tbqh like in conversations I have said Demi Cancelled over a tweet of hers she said but I would never not love her music.

The only time Ive genuinely done it is Lostprophets. I cant listen to their stuff anymore its lost all meaning to me.

+Quote Post
Leonardo
post Jun 5 2018, 07:46 PM
Post #19
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 11,502

Whilst I generally like to seperate an artist’s music from them personally, I take no issue with people stop listening to music of an artist because of their political leanings, crimes, views etc. It is a person’s right to choose which art/entertainment they enjoy and if that’s stopped by certain influences then that’s up to the individual, I won’t judge them for boycotting artists and they shouldn’t judge people for their tastes.

+Quote Post
Conderella
post Jun 5 2018, 08:00 PM
Post #20
ya ya ya i am lorde
Member No.: 4,397

it's fine who cares. i stopped liking Kelis as a person after i found out that she's very much pro-fur but I still like her past songs i always liked. i'm not actively listening to that bitch or anything at this point, I guess that's what people who "cancel" artists mean to do? besides her last 2 albums were garbage anyway

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th June 2018 - 12:51 AM