BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How CAMP are you?
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Andrew.
post Jun 25 2018, 05:43 PM
Post #1
ducking quueb
Group: Members
Member No.: 21,161

One of the things I love about the gay community is that it's so varied, there's the stereotype of being camp and effeminate but that doesn't apply to all gay people at all, although the attitude of some in the community to camp men disappoints me so much sad.gif

It's not something I think or worry about much tbh, but over the years I've definitely gotten more camp. Until I came out, due to gender norms I would try (emphasis on 'try' :') laugh.gif) to act all typical lad but I came out of my shell so much. I'm definitely at my most camp at concerts, I'm pretty sure I had one of the most terrifying gay moments of excitement in history at Katy Perry last night!! How camp are y'all?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Brett-Butler
post Jun 25 2018, 05:59 PM
Post #2
Howdy, disco citizens.
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 10,455
   No Gallery Pics

Camper than your average heterosexual. Using "fabulous" and "groovy" in everyday conversations doesn't help. About half a David Walliams-worth.

+Quote Post
Mattias
post Jun 25 2018, 06:10 PM
Post #3
the elusive Q.
Member No.: 7,132
   No Gallery Pics

Interesting question / thread. I don't consider myself "camp" but I'm also not a "lad" lmao. tbh the thing is, I don't feel at this point in time that I'm fully living out my true potential anyway so there could be all sorts of curious things hiding in my character that maybe even I don't know about...

As far as I can tell, I don't think I have many distinguishing features that would jump out at people straight away if they were to meet me (except perhaps my initial shyness / quietness). I do sometimes get told there's a mystery about me lmfao. I hate that I can't see myself from the outside, cos I tend to read other people very well (at least according to my own "compass") and get vibes from people straight away, but when it comes to knowing how the world sees me, well, I'm kinda at a loss :') Soz for the philosophical turn this thread took (gotta love it tho) but even all that being said, I doubt anyone else would describe me as camp either.

+Quote Post
JŁpiter
post Jun 25 2018, 06:15 PM
Post #4
you only love me on the internet
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 22,895
   No Gallery Pics

Depends who you're comparing to. It is fun to put on sometimes though. Different personas for different environments I guess. I have a lot of thoughts about this kind of thing though. Part of me feels that 'campness' might be the natural state because so much of 'masculine' behavior is based around NOT doing or STOPPING YOURSELF or other men/boys from doing certain things or behaving in certain ways. But I don't really know enough to say that conclusively.

+Quote Post
Jay ☆
post Jun 25 2018, 06:44 PM
Post #5
"Jayrusaleminians" - Umi.
Group: Chart Mod
Member No.: 3,217

I think my level of campness varies depending on the company I'm keeping, and I'm not really sure why that is... maybe with certain people (i.e. gay friends) I feel freer to be expressive, than I am with others (certain family members / strangers). I mean this more in terms of how my speaking voice sounds and certain mannerisms. I'm not a very confident person so I'm not flamboyantly camp. I think it's just at a level where you can tell I'm gay, but I'm not in-your-face.

I wish there wasn't such a problem with how men speak/move, and that if you stray away from rigid masculinity stereotypes it makes people uncomfortable - and that's even within the LGBT community itself. I've never understood why people get so worked up about it.

+Quote Post
Colm
post Jun 25 2018, 07:59 PM
Post #6
Yes, it's me.
Member No.: 9,885

Oppressively uncamp.

+Quote Post
Jack
post Jun 25 2018, 08:24 PM
Post #7
BuzzJack Legend
Member No.: 223

I think I can be very camp, I'm very expressive - especially when I'm angry I become a diva like Nikki Grahame laugh.gif

I love campness and sassiness, gay guys who are like 'no camps or sissy girls' or w/e are the WORST.

+Quote Post
Tawdry Hepburn
post Jun 25 2018, 08:35 PM
Post #8
I'll find your lips in the street lights
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 51

Yeah, a little bit. Not overwhelmingly but a tad.

+Quote Post
Queef of Skreech
post Jun 25 2018, 08:39 PM
Post #9
Life is so much queefier than we allow ourselves to think x
Member No.: 18,639
   No Gallery Pics

Ler ha Wallace is the campest person on the seet and y'all will deal

+Quote Post
Liаm
post Jun 25 2018, 08:42 PM
Post #10
Brown cow, stunning!
Group: Entertainment Mod
Member No.: 10,139

I'm certainly not a str8 LAD LAD LAD but I'm not super camp. I relate to Andrew's post though, it comes out when I am excited (concerts being one example). There was one time at pres recently that sums it up, icr what song my friend put on but I did my like excited squealy thing and he was like "oh my god Liam you're so gay and I love it" lmaoooo

I think when I am annoyed like Jack said as well, I'll be having a proper bitching sesh and get quite sassy/camp with it laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Iz
post Jun 25 2018, 08:48 PM
Post #11
benevolent overlord
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 12,929

Not really? Not that anyone would expect me to be, but I don't think I'd have a problem camping it up if the mood strikes me, I'm not expressively masculine either. What's it called when you aren't either? Just quiet and boring?

QUOTE(Queef of Skreech @ Jun 25 2018, 09:39 PM) *
Ler ha Wallace is the campest person on the seet and y'all will deal

Can confirm in our short time meeting. Camp enough to bring down the city.

+Quote Post
Andrew.
post Jun 25 2018, 09:56 PM
Post #12
ducking quueb
Member No.: 21,161

QUOTE(Liаm @ Jun 25 2018, 09:42 PM) *
I'm certainly not a str8 LAD LAD LAD but I'm not super camp. I relate to Andrew's post though, it comes out when I am excited (concerts being one example). There was one time at pres recently that sums it up, icr what song my friend put on but I did my like excited squealy thing and he was like "oh my god Liam you're so gay and I love it" lmaoooo

I think when I am annoyed like Jack said as well, I'll be having a proper bitching sesh and get quite sassy/camp with it laugh.gif

Omg same, Iím even sober but someone will put a life changing bop on and Iím gone laugh.gif

+Quote Post
Cqmerqn
post Jun 25 2018, 10:08 PM
Post #13
Fuego!
Member No.: 23,155
   No Gallery Pics

Not camp at all

+Quote Post
Oliver
post Jun 28 2018, 05:51 PM
Post #14
Buzzjack's Finest Alcoholic.
Member No.: 15,367

Iím not very camp either.

+Quote Post
Maz!
post Jun 28 2018, 05:55 PM
Post #15
BuzzJack Gold Member
Group: AF Leader
Member No.: 20,217
   No Gallery Pics

Not very Camp at all.

+Quote Post
Popchartfreak
post Jun 29 2018, 04:22 PM
Post #16
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 17,376
   No Gallery Pics

QUOTE(Andrew. @ Jun 25 2018, 06:43 PM) *
One of the things I love about the gay community is that it's so varied, there's the stereotype of being camp and effeminate but that doesn't apply to all gay people at all, although the attitude of some in the community to camp men disappoints me so much sad.gif

It's not something I think or worry about much tbh, but over the years I've definitely gotten more camp. Until I came out, due to gender norms I would try (emphasis on 'try' :') laugh.gif) to act all typical lad but I came out of my shell so much. I'm definitely at my most camp at concerts, I'm pretty sure I had one of the most terrifying gay moments of excitement in history at Katy Perry last night!! How camp are y'all?

I hatedthe gay stereotype as camp because it didnt speak to me back in the daywhen the only gay men in the media were comics or comic actors and they were all camp. These days i can camp it up a bit if thats thecompany im keeping, but not ott because im not an ott outward going type.

I was at katy perry in barcelona lastnight and it was a campfest and fab. What a visual treat and lots of kids and girls and gay men. Swish swish bish, another one in the basket!

+Quote Post
Regina
post Jun 29 2018, 05:56 PM
Post #17
Raining Shitter
Member No.: 5,572

Really not very despite my general tastes. I find campness hideously unattractive laugh.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th July 2018 - 05:28 PM