BuzzJack
Entertainment Discussion

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register | Help )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> CHESS
Track this topic - Email this topic - Print this topic - Download this topic - Subscribe to this forum
Playing chess
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 21
Guests cannot vote 
Mattias
post Jun 25 2018, 07:20 PM
Post #1
the elusive Q.
Group: Members
Member No.: 7,132
   No Gallery Pics

It has struck me that I haven't played chess in absolutely AGES, in fact I'm not sure I'd be able to confidently state that I have even played chess in my adult life ;o I used to as a kid / teenager and I wasn't the best at it but I've always loved playing board games etc (draughts was my baby, used to play the hell out of that with my sis). I'd love to be really good at it and seem intellectually superior, I may need to dig out the old chessboard with someone if I can find it lmao, and see if I can work my strategic magic.

What about you?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Cqmerqn
post Jun 25 2018, 07:24 PM
Post #2
Fuego!
Member No.: 23,155
   No Gallery Pics

Shite

+Quote Post
awardinary
post Jun 25 2018, 07:41 PM
Post #3
The Navigator
Group: Moderator
Member No.: 21,587
   No Gallery Pics

I occasionally play on Chess With Friends. Send me a game request! tongue.gif

+Quote Post
Jade
post Jun 25 2018, 07:43 PM
Post #4
Mrs Brayden Smith <333
Member No.: 12,810

We used to have a glass chess-themed table in the front room with glass pieces on it *.*

I am decent enough at chess but haven't played for years.

+Quote Post
T Boy
post Jun 25 2018, 08:25 PM
Post #5
Radical Pink Troll
Member No.: 177
   No Gallery Pics

Omg Bernadette teas.

I learnt to play chess when I was 11 and did so for like 3 days but couldnít play now to save my life.

+Quote Post
Brett-Butler
post Jun 25 2018, 08:27 PM
Post #6
Howdy, disco citizens.
Member No.: 10,455
   No Gallery Pics

I was a member of the chess club at school when I was 12-13, and I played at an inter-school level and was pretty good at it. I don't play it that much now, as I'm not a big fan of the game - it's too stressful.

+Quote Post
Chez Wombat
post Jun 25 2018, 08:29 PM
Post #7
The owls are not what they seem
Group: Global Mod
Member No.: 9,232
   No Gallery Pics

I think I played it once years ago and my young mind couldn't handle it so I've rejected it since. I still find it a bit confusing oops, I should play it again though as I'm a bit more open to mind-stimulating challenges today.

+Quote Post
Iz
post Jun 25 2018, 08:41 PM
Post #8
benevolent overlord
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 12,929

One little tidbit I always like bragging to people about is that I have played chess at a national level, representing Cornwall.... TWICE when I was like 11 and 12. I was captain of the school chess team at secondary school and always the lead for my house in the inter-house chess tournaments (*.*), which my house won once I believe. It was basically my ONE good 'sporting' thing so I made it a big part of my identity.

It's through playing it where I understand how people in professional sports can sometimes mess up, the pressure really gets to you at times.

So yes, you could say I'm good at chess. I don't really do as much as I used to except occasional chess.com matches, although when I was at uni, I often used it as an icebreaker to get in with a certain crowd. I'd love to join a chess club but there isn't one in my city. All in all, it has been far too long since I played competitively. The other thing I find about playing it now is that I've been spoiled with computer strategy games, there aren't enough interesting variations in the game meta for me to play it for enjoyment against a computer or more than one friendly match at a time. Unless a friend suggests it, then I'll be all for it, I like teaching it, I do really think it should be more popular than it is.

+Quote Post
...ready for it
post Jun 26 2018, 03:31 AM
Post #9
Close the door behind you, please.
Member No.: 1,454

I have never played it and I don't think I would be good at it.

+Quote Post
Dexton
post Jun 26 2018, 04:57 AM
Post #10
Dexton?
Group: Artist Mod
Member No.: 25,045
   No Gallery Pics

I've played it a few times in my life but never often enough to really get good at it, like I'll play a couple of times one day and start to get good but then I won't touch a chessboard for 3 years and I'll forget everything about it tongue.gif

+Quote Post
mdh
post Jun 26 2018, 08:05 AM
Post #11
are you quite done now?
Member No.: 22,776
   No Gallery Pics

Never played it and wouldn't have a bloody clue what to do laugh.gif. Looks boring too, so I doubt I ever will.

+Quote Post
Iz
post Jun 26 2018, 01:29 PM
Post #12
benevolent overlord
Group: Admin.
Member No.: 12,929

Okay, for people who want to learn (and this game does wonders for your decision making skills too), without doing a tldr, basics for getting good at chess:

1. Memorise what each piece does, there’s not many to learn and this means you can visualise on each move what might possibly happen next. This includes predicting your opponent, figure their play style and you’ve won. The trick to getting really good is figuring probable next moves to think even more moves ahead and therefore plan a strategy towards checkmate.
2. Assign a point value to pieces to help you evaluate your strength, it varies on what’s happening but the common one is pawn = 1, bishop and knight = 3, rook = 5, queen = 9. If you are ahead of your opponent on points, you have the advantage.
3. Learn a few common opening movesets to help you start games with confidence. Ruy Lopez and Four Knights are good for beginners. Once you’ve moved a few pieces around, if you’ve done steps one and two you’ll have a sense of what moves make sense next.
4. Lose a bit. Take every loss as something to learn for the next game. If you don’t try, you’ll never get good.
5. Start reading chess strategy books and dream of being the next Kasparov.

+Quote Post
Tombo
post Jun 27 2018, 01:16 PM
Post #13
BuzzJack Platinum Member
Member No.: 9,543

I donít like it and donít understand it and have tried playing but didnít really enjoy it.

I like checkers though biggrin.gif

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic (1 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th July 2018 - 12:39 PM